Well guys, went to a show recently, and at the hotel, i had to check out by noon, but unfortunately my ride wouldn't be in that city (5 hours from home) until 7 pm. So, the hotel offered to keep my stuff there, but when they put it in the back, they didnt give me a luggage tag. I didn't realize that until later. I showed back up to pick up my bag, and it was gone. They say they cannot find it anywhere, so it is stolen. Contents: $1000 camera and lenses, drumstick signed by Chris Raines of Norma Jean, guitar pick signed by Scottie Henry of Norma Jean, and 2 cd's signed by the band, among other things ($300 winter coat etc).

The hotel is not filing an insurance claim and telling me to eat the cost. They say that because they have a policy and a sign stating they are not responsible for lost or stolen items, they are not going to help me at all. In total, $1800 worth of stuff is gone.

Does the pit think it would it be worth taking this to court and asking for $1800, legal fees and damages?

NOTE: I am in Canada (the case would be in Manitoba)
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Last edited by Brendan.Clace at Mar 18, 2009,
No. They have a policy which states they will not be held accountable. Also the signed stuff is worth nothing more considering it is signed. That is a sentimental value, not monetary

Gear:
Ibanez JPM P100A
Schecter C7 Loomis
Ibanez Rg1570
Agile Intrepid 828 Pro Dual
Schecter Omen FR Extreme
Ibanez RG550 (Fernandez Sustainer)
Laney World Series 120-TR
POD X3 Live
Nope!, If they have a dissclaimer ie. that sign that says they are not liable for lost or stolen items then I hate to say it dude but tuff ****!
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.
''As your attorney, i advise you to by a a very fast car with no top. And you will need cocaine. Tape recorder for special music.''

Source?
Quote by gunners fan
Nope!, If they have a dissclaimer ie. that sign that says they are not liable for lost or stolen items then I hate to say it dude but tuff ****!

I was checked out at the time they took my bag, and so therefore, as under verbal guarantee, no?
Quote by DegaMeth
''As your attorney, i advise you to by a a very fast car with no top. And you will need cocaine. Tape recorder for special music.''

Source?

I wouldn't trust a Samoan attorney.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
That really sucks TS

I wonder if they just randomly pick someone every week and steal their ****?

Quote by Våd Hamster
Find a dice and assign a number to each girl. Throw the dice.

The number you hope for at the moment you throw the dice, is the one you'll want to keep.
Quote by DegaMeth

Source?

The good ole' Dr. Gonzo from "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas"
Main Gear:
Fender 72 Tele Deluxe (Modded)
Fender MIM Strat
Ibanez Acoustic
Vox VR15

Saving For:
Peavey Classic 30
Quote by DegaMeth

Source?

Fear and loathing in Las Vegas/Where the Buffalo Roam

and I'd say if the employees who told you that they'd keep it still stick to that story, that may override the sign, but consult a lawyer anyway, they'll advise what to do better than pit-dwellers.
Quote by synestershadows
Shai Hulud mother****er.
Quote by DartS17
Fear and loathing in Las Vegas/Where the Buffalo Roam

and I'd say if the employees who told you that they'd keep it still stick to that story, that may override the sign, but consult a lawyer anyway, they'll advise what to do better than pit-dwellers.

the person that took it fully admits she took it, and remembers taking it.
I've heard before that signs such as that are only to deter people from suing, and actually carry no effect. It may just be the sign that carries no effect, and they may actually have agreements, but in some places it is not so.
Quote by me_llamo_juan
I've heard before that signs such as that are only to deter people from suing, and actually carry no effect. It may just be the sign that carries no effect, and they may actually have agreements, but in some places it is not so.

NICE AVATAR!!!

And yeah, i heard that too. And, as i was under no legal obligation due to me checking out and such, and had verbal confirmation that my stuff was safe.... ??
Quote by Brendan.Clace
I was checked out at the time they took my bag, and so therefore, as under verbal guarantee, no?

NO. You are wasting your time sorry dude

Gear:
Ibanez JPM P100A
Schecter C7 Loomis
Ibanez Rg1570
Schecter Omen FR Extreme
POD X3 Live
Ask a lawyer. Best way to go.

Quote by Våd Hamster
Find a dice and assign a number to each girl. Throw the dice.

The number you hope for at the moment you throw the dice, is the one you'll want to keep.
You will get charged for a consultation with a lawyer. On the other hand i am a law student

Gear:
Ibanez JPM P100A
Schecter C7 Loomis
Ibanez Rg1570
Schecter Omen FR Extreme
POD X3 Live
Quote by blue_bogan
You will get charged for a consultation with a lawyer. On the other hand i am a law student

Then how about the negligence they exhibited when the employee "forgot" to give me a tag for my luggage....its not my responsibility to make sure she does her job.
Why didn't you ask them about that before you gave them your stuff? It's more of your fault than the hotel.