The area I live in, everyone covers GREEN DAY, NIRVANA, OAR, maybe some MATCHBOX 20, and TONS of 80's music. You would never hear any staind, papa roach, sick puppies, or linkin park. Well there was 1 band that covered linkin park. A few friends of mine are huge fans of papa roach and decided to cover them. Why in the world doesnt anyone cover their music? Its not death metal, its easy to play, its pretty popular around here. What gives? Only thing I can think of is since jacoby is an animal and has rediculous stage presence and voice.
because it's Papa Roach, they're a faggy band that nobody listens to or would dare to call their favorite. covering them would result in either contractual termination from your record company or instant loss in your fan base. should be common sense by now.
You could cover one of the songs off of infest, that album was really popular when it came out. And ignore the idiot above me.
I think you could get away with covering Last Resort. It might not be the highlight of your set, but I'd think an audience would be okay with it.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by DavidsonTFP
because it's Papa Roach, they're a faggy band that nobody listens to or would dare to call their favorite. covering them would result in either contractual termination from your record company or instant loss in your fan base. should be common sense by now.

ooooh ok.
Quote by axemanchris
I think you could get away with covering Last Resort. It might not be the highlight of your set, but I'd think an audience would be okay with it.

CT

we were thinking of covering last resort, broken home, she loves me not, scars, lifeline, hollywood *****, forever. We wouldnt necessarily play all of those in a set but mainly the more upbeat ones. And of course scars for the ladies.
because maybe people just... want to write original music and don't immidetely think to cover papa roach. Nobody round my town covers motorhead or early megadeth (while simultaneously writing original music, not speaking of cover bands). Thats why my band does.
Quote by mchnhd4
we were thinking of covering last resort, broken home, she loves me not, scars, lifeline, hollywood *****, forever. We wouldnt necessarily play all of those in a set but mainly the more upbeat ones. And of course scars for the ladies.

I think more than one would be pushing your luck. You need to, as a cover band, play stuff people know. Not just your friends, but the average person on the street. I don't recognize any of those other titles.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Give it a few years, then do a Nu-Metal cover band. Most people from 18-24 will remember old songs from their youth and enjoy it again. Of course, people will always try to cover up the fact they owned a Limp Bizkit album, or sung along to a Linkin Park song on the radio. It's sad, because every once in a while I have a NU-Metal night and it reminds me of my youth. Who cares if the music isnt the most creative piece ever written, it reminds people of their youth and that feeling is a good one to recapture.

....Even typing about it has reminded me of my youth. Time to find them on Youtube
Quote by axemanchris
I think more than one would be pushing your luck. You need to, as a cover band, play stuff people know. Not just your friends, but the average person on the street. I don't recognize any of those other titles.

CT

Funny, I recognize them all....

Please add me if as a friend I helped! (I like to think I'm a friendly person)
Not to sound like a dick-ass, but I would probably leave if a band were to cover Staind, Papa Roach, Nirvana, Linkin Park, Matchbox 20, etc.
I go to shows to have fun, not listen to depressing 90s music.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Micehorns
it reminds people of their youth and that feeling is a good one to recapture.

Not everything from everybody's youth is something they will feel good remembering.

This isn't really anything to do with the thread (although I don't personally know many people who would go out of their way to see a Nu-Metal cover band, so file me under 'nay'), I just notice that people play the 'reminds me of my youth' card in an attempt to trump any other consideration, as if reminding you of when you were young is automatically a good thing.

Nestled in my mediaplayer amongst all the songs, I've got a recording of my dad reading me a Burglar Bill story. It reminds me of my dad taking time to show his kid some love, reading a humorous black-and-white tale of redemption. Not amongst my music collection is Papa Roach, Linkin Park etc., because I do not want to be reminded of a time when I heard that cliched, melodramatic angst on the radio and actually thought that it was what good music was.
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
Quote by Damascus
Not everything from everybody's youth is something they will feel good remembering.

This isn't really anything to do with the thread (although I don't personally know many people who would go out of their way to see a Nu-Metal cover band, so file me under 'nay'), I just notice that people play the 'reminds me of my youth' card in an attempt to trump any other consideration, as if reminding you of when you were young is automatically a good thing.

Nestled in my mediaplayer amongst all the songs, I've got a recording of my dad reading me a Burglar Bill story. It reminds me of my dad taking time to show his kid some love, reading a humorous black-and-white tale of redemption. Not amongst my music collection is Papa Roach, Linkin Park etc., because I do not want to be reminded of a time when I heard that cliched, melodramatic angst on the radio and actually thought that it was what good music was.

That's cool. I was just thinking of the popular trend at the moment in 80's music. Loads of people from 25 years + like to have 80's nights just to laugh and cringe at what they danced to/enjoyed back in their youth. I just find (all in my experience, by the way!) that when I have a group of friends and something comes on..say Adema or American head Charge, we all go "oh God, remember in the summer of 03 when that came out, you were *insert insult/joke/bad taste in music*". I just feel as I've got older, I've dropped all the angst and when I listen to nu metal it's simply to enjoy a catchy hook or something to bob my head to. And I wouldnt complain about doing some Mudvayne bass lines in a cover band one day.
Cover bands exist for one reason and one reason only: to provide music that is the soundtrack to drinking. That's it. And when people drink, they want to hear drinking music. Green Day is good drinking music for a college bar, as are other alt-rock bands from the 90s because you don't really have to pay attention to it, people know it and are nostalgic for it, and you can completely tune it out if you want. Even Nirvana is good for drinking because they were so incredibly huge that it's instantly recognizable, so throwing in an upbeat Nirvana tune like In Bloom always goes over well.
People don't play Papa Roach because songs where the guy is screaming at you about 'contemplating suicide' are not conducive to getting plastered. The only way I would play that is with a big tongue-in-cheek, ironic attitude.
Quote by Invokke_Havokk
Funny, I recognize them all....

... except you're not old enough to be in a bar....

Generally, your bar crowd is 18-25, and depending on the bar, up to 35. So, you should be playing stuff that appeals to as much of that demographic as possible.

When I hear the name papa roach, I think Last Resort and Getting Away With Murder. After that, I'm out of ideas.

Okay, I looked it up, and I remember Scars. That's a good tune, but point is... I had to look it up. I don't know Forever or Hollywood *****, and Loves Me Not and Broken Home were only vaguely familiar. Make of that what you will.

CT

Last edited by axemanchris at Mar 19, 2009,
Each venue will have crowds that like different kinds of music. Try to do your research on a venue before you decide what songs you want to cover. Some club or pub might have a regular audience that only likes 80's acoustic pub rock songs, some others might have attendees that dig dig nu-metal, etc.

You have to cater to your audience, especially if you're in a cover band :P
Well I recognize most of your cover names but I agree with Chris here. If you insist on covering Papa Roach, Getting Away With Murder and Last Resort would be the way to go. But you don't want to push it.
No1 covers papa roach bc they suck nutz u should really expand ur music vocab 2 some betr stuff my man
\m/ metal up your ass
^u should really expand ur grammar vocab 2 some coherent stuff my man

I think people don't cover those bands because those bands don't really seem to be very popular among musicians.
Papa Roach is very good live they rule so much harder than the albums I was really impressed they are a huge ball of energy. My band fools around with ''Last Resort'' once in awhile, its a good song. ''She Loves Me Not'', ''Dead Cell'', ''Hollywood *****'', ''Change Or Die'', ''Between Angels And Insects'', ''Take Me'', ''Done With You'' would be cool songs to do live as well.
Play some Necrophagist

Then play some Between the Buried and Me
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
Quote by Lchoke
No1 covers papa roach bc they suck nutz u should really expand ur music vocab 2 some betr stuff my man

So.... how's things in the Pit? Must be pretty slow, eh?

Usually in this forum, we write using actual words and sentences. Welcome.

CT

Theres probably no Papa Roach cover bands because they suck.... I mean, for fucks sake have they had any hits since Last Resort (which by hit, I mean was popular on mtv for a little while)? I'm not saying Nu Metal sucks or anything, Linkin Parks first album or two is pretty good, but Papa Roach is not, sorry to break it to you.
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
thanks for the thoughts and opinions guys. Im 25 and pretty much grew up with Nirvana and the NU metal bands as you guys say like linkin park and P roach. On the radio in my town, they play a good amount of Nirvana, linkin park, and papa roach. Lifeline is a song they released off their new album coming out end of this month. In an 8 hour work day I'll generally hear lifeline twice on the radio. Hollywood ***** hasnt been released as a single yet I dont think. Forever is a kinda down song that we probably wouldnt play at a gig even though its played on the radio quite a bit. You wouldnt think "rape me" by Nirvana would be a good song to play at the bar (the way some of you sound) but my buddies band plays it and it ****en rocks the place. Yea most people know the song but same thing as last resort. Most people know that. I do see what you guys mean about not everyone is going to recognize their songs that werent an absolute hit and I will take into account that idea. I think once the album hits stores and the radio catches onto a few more good songs just released by them, we might have something good. Its not all P roach, trust me. It just kinda sucks that I hear the same old crap being played at the bars. If i hear living on a prayer or another journey song, ill vomit. Theyre fun to sing along to but not every time you see a band. We need new music to be heard by cover bands around here. I saw a band cover linkin park, orgy, some new rap songs (turned into rock), rage against the machine, and i think some breaking benjamins. The place went nuts. I will re consider some songs we were thinking of playing though. thanks guys.
Last edited by mchnhd4 at Mar 20, 2009,
Quote by mchnhd4
some new rap songs (turned into rock)

Prom Queen? Come on man, don't go there.
Quote by mchnhd4
... If i hear living on a prayer or another journey song, ill vomit.

Christ.... people still play that stuff? I mean, I love all that stuff, but c'mon... that was starting to get old when *I* started going to bars.

Quote by mchnhd4

I saw a band cover linkin park, orgy, some new rap songs (turned into rock), rage against the machine, and i think some breaking benjamins. The place went nuts.

Probably because all the other bands are playing stuff from when *I* was an adolescent.

Seriously... if I was in a cover band, I'd be thinking along the lines of Franz Ferdinand, Finger 11, White Stripes, Foo Fighters, etc. - much more in line with your latter list.

CT

Theres probably no Papa Roach cover bands because they suck.... I mean, for fucks sake have they had any hits since Last Resort (which by hit, I mean was popular on mtv for a little while)? I'm not saying Nu Metal sucks or anything, Linkin Parks first album or two is pretty good, but Papa Roach is not, sorry to break it to you.

numetal? rofl using the word metal to describe papa roach is like saying emenem is metal
\m/ metal up your ass

couldnt have said it better myself.
Guitars
Schecter Omen 6
Agile LP 2500
Kramer RR V
Amp
Peavey 6505
4x12 with Eminence Screamin' Eagles
Others
Mogami Cables
Korg DTR-1000
Furman M-8 Power Conditioner
MXR Smartgate
BBE Sonic Maximizer
My Band
www.myspace.com/gdbr
Quote by joemama9119
Prom Queen? Come on man, don't go there.

haha. Hey, I didnt say "I" was doing it. The band we saw did it. thats kinda like the remake of lolli pop by framing hanley. It sounded pretty cool though. I personally dont think I would go that far.
Quote by axemanchris
Christ.... people still play that stuff? I mean, I love all that stuff, but c'mon... that was starting to get old when *I* started going to bars.

Probably because all the other bands are playing stuff from when *I* was an adolescent.

Seriously... if I was in a cover band, I'd be thinking along the lines of Franz Ferdinand, Finger 11, White Stripes, Foo Fighters, etc. - much more in line with your latter list.
i think ive heard foo fighters played once and some finger 11. Crazy bitch by buckcherry is played hella lot too.
CT

Dude you have no idea. If I dont hear anything by bon jovi or journey or poison from a cover band, its a great night. Dont get me wrong, i like alot of that stuff. but the chicks cant get enough of it.
i think ive heard foo fighters played once and some finger 11. Crazy bitch by buckcherry is played hella lot too.
maybe there are no cover bands because Papa Roach is just a faggy emo band with a small handfull of good songs, about the only one people know is last resort and even that sucks. Does that answer your question? And why the **** wouldn't you care if there are cover bands? Most cover bands cannot even begin to touch the awesomeness that is the origional.
YOU ARE NOW MANUALLY BREATHING!

Quote by Toxicity3431
Bro, you needs you a streetsweeper. Huntin and defense right there.

Quote by The.new.guy
You, sir, are good.
Quote by Theid
And why the **** wouldn't you care if there are cover bands?

that makes no sense. but it was a good try. thanks for the input
Simply put, if you're playing real gigs (i.e, not pay-to-play - they'll put anyone on as long as they've got mates/family with cash) and you want to be booked again, you have to play to your audience.
No, that's not the same as selling out, it just means you have to fine-tune your set to the kind of crowd in the venue.

Papa Roach is a niche market, populated primarily by people below the legal drinking age. So if you play it in a bar or club, no-one will give a damn, and will mentally pigeonhole you as a 'generic crappy kiddy punk band'. And you won't get invited back, or possibly even paid.
Might seem unfair, but that's how the system works - the bars have to make money.

If you're going to be playing parties etc with a young, 'alternative' audience that might enjoy Papa Roach, there's no reason not to throw a few of their tunes in your set. But a tribute band? Gods no.
Last edited by kyle62 at Mar 21, 2009,
well Papa Roach is faggy, sorry. their lyrics are based around whining about girls all the time.
Quote by DavidsonTFP
well Papa Roach is faggy, sorry. their lyrics are based around whining about girls all the time.

This guy is on the money - gay men are always whining about girls. Literally all the time.
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/