Page 1 of 2
Alright guys. Looking to upgrade from an AT-100 (B52).

*insert joke about how any new head would be an upgrade*

In all seriousness, this amp isn't THAT bad but, there are some issues I have with it that need to be addressed:

1. Useless effects loop (kills tone, volume)
2. Not enough bottom on gain channels
3. No options for volume boost ( it would just be nice for solos & etc.)
4. Independent EQs for gain channels
5. Overall design. The preamp tubes are mounted on the PC board and I fear the excessive heat from the amp will eventually damage it. This = costly & annoying repairs. If I have to do a major repair on this amp I am going to feel really stupid because I will probably spend close to the amount I payed for this thing.
6. Hand in hand with problem above. I question this things reliability in general.
7. Extremely heavy. One sided heaviness.

About the PC board thing: I am not the most educated in this area however this is advice I've gotten from several seasoned guitarists/gear freaks/repair guys so, If anyone has any useful information/links in regards to this subject that would also be much appreciated.

I really need something that is/has/will be:
1. Easy to repair/ Good company warranty and/or Customer service
2. Durability/ Longevity
3. Versatile (From Jazzy to heavy as sin)
4. Road/Studio worthy
5. Useful/working effects loops
6. 3 channels w/ independant EQs
7. Possible volume boost
8. Powerful ( Tube )
9. The absolute **** and will make everyone jealous as hell and will bring down the house everywhere I bring it.

I cannot spend more than $2000

The head I'm looking at right now is the Carvin V3. Also heads by Framus, ENGL, Bogner.

Suggestions/comments/opinions?

I really appreciate and consider everyone opinion so please help me out! Thanks much.
See if you can cop an extra $185, doesn't matter if you have to prostitute yourself to do it, and pick up one of these. Will not disappoint.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
peavey jsx

especially for #9 on your second list
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
EVH 5150 III?
They have so much gain I couldn't imagine using that much, and you got everything you're looking for, in about $1700 at Guitar Center. So i would go check that out? I don't know if you've had any previous experience with this bad mofo amp...
Well, I play in a couple different groups. One is multi-genre rock and roll. Another is pretty standard hardcore, and another is progressive multigenre metal (inspired by bands like BTBAM, The Mars Volta, Mastodon, Dream Theatre, etc). So the amount of different tones range from: sparkling bright cleans, warm jazzy cleans, nice crunch for rock, blues, folk inspired stuff, and high gain for teh br00t4lz and sexy leads. So...
you may be able to find a bogner ecstacy with the current state of the economy
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
I haven't had much exp with peavey with the exception of some jamming I did with a 6505 last week in my local Sam Ash. I have been reading TONS of reviews on so many amps, there seem to be quite a few good ones out there so this selection process has been increasingly difficult.
+1 carvin v3
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Quote by Harvesterofsrrw
+1 carvin v3

i have played an at100 and my own v3 side by side and the v3 blows it out of the water. I +2 the carvin.
Was just doing research on the Bogner Ecstasy. Looks like a fantastic amp but it is a tad pricey =(

Well, Maybe it would be worth it.

Any opinions on Framus and ENGL anyone? They seem like great amps but I notice a lot of fans of extremely heavy music tend to favor them; does this mean that is all they are good for? Thoughts?
Quote by Chaosinborn
i have played an at100 and my own v3 side by side and the v3 blows it out of the water. I +2 the carvin.

I believe you lol

Just a few questions... =)

How functional is the effects loops? Does it kill your tone something horrible? Do you use midi with it? Is midi necessary since you can control the boost/smart loops via the FS44? Have you been able to get any sound you want from it?
Quote by Chaosinborn

Go figure?

Gear:
Agile AL-2000 > Maxon OD808 > Boss DD-20 > Strymon blueSky > Splawn Pro Stock > Emperor 4x12

the lives to come

I wouldn't suggest a 5150 or anything simply cause you want versitallity as big thing.
Engl are worth a look from what im told for versitatily and stuff, althought iv never played one cause there hard to come across over the pond.
Maybe you can find a Hughes & Kettner Triamp MKII used for under 2000.
My other suggestions would be:
Randall MTS
EVH 5150 III
Fender MIA Stratocaster (with SD Twang Banger)
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Johnson Acoustic
Palmer FAB5
i'm with the people recommending the jsx. superb amp, imo.
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Are you keeping the cab for the B-52? If so, you can blow all your money on a head, and in that case, I recommend the EVH 5150, a Splawn Nitro, used XTC, Framus Cobra, and if you could swing it, a Peters Gryphon or Chimera.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
I'm using a Mesa 4X12 and overall, it sounds pretty decent.

I played a 6505+ today for about 90 minutes. It was so-so. Not what I'm looking for though. The store also had a 5150III in there so I may have to try it out. However, I know the amps are extremely similar so I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that it also will not be what I'm looking for.

used XTC as in... Bogner?

I'm really interested in these amps because of there stand on PC board design and implementation. Seem like very sturdy, well made, and well thought out amplifiers. It seems like a new/used Ecstasy would be worth the money.

Anyone else?

Thanks to all who replied btw
the 5150 3 is completely different than the 5150/6505 and 5150 2/6505+. it's made by fender (under the evh brand name), has 3 channels, and actually has good cleans. the peavey's cleans are usable, but don't even compare
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
The 5153 made by Fender has actually had some reliability issues as well unfortunately. Still a great amp and extremely versatile especially if you need Fender like cleans. TS - if you have one you can play close to you then I highly recommend doing so.

Otherwise, Splawn Nitro or JSX gets my vote. Never played the Bogners outside of the Alchemist.
EVH 5150III
Randall MTS
Line6 Vetta

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
I say either a Carvin V3 or Dual Recto
~Gear~
'96 Fender Strat MIM
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender '70s Reissue Strat

Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
4x12 Marshall AVT Cab
Marshall AVT50 Combo
Recto cleans aren't very good IMO.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by spiff389
the 5150 3 is completely different than the 5150/6505 and 5150 2/6505+. it's made by fender (under the evh brand name), has 3 channels, and actually has good cleans. the peavey's cleans are usable, but don't even compare

Ah. I think i may have misread something somewhere or gotten two different amps confused. I will definitely be going to try out the 5150III sometime soon.

And I agree with the cleans on the 6505+ I played earlier. It was possible to get decent tone but it really wasn't so great. Lead channel was not the best IMO.

I've fiddled around with a Mesa triple recto before, opinions on the dual? Does it have 3 channels as well?
Fantastic cleans are a MUST.

And people keep suggesting the Randall MTS. It sounds like a pain in the ASS. And it is 70+ pounds? Seriously?
5153 has great cleans
what about a powerball?
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Holy-Diver
5153 has great cleans
what about a powerball?

I have been researching the ENGL powerball and it seems like a great amp. Definitely up there on my list of possible choices. Looking into schematics and trying to find one to test out right now actually.
i want one
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
EvH 5150 III
Peavey JSX
Carvin Legacy
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
yeah ive played two. one at THE amp tecks house, and one at a small music store in teh desert.
it absolutely dominates imo, the cleans are really good too.
but my plan now is to run a 6505 and a xxx in stereo
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by BlaketheHero
Fantastic cleans are a MUST.

And people keep suggesting the Randall MTS. It sounds like a pain in the ASS. And it is 70+ pounds? Seriously?

But it will give you everything you want - great cleans and great distortion. Suit yourself.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by Holy-Diver
yeah ive played two. one at THE amp tecks house, and one at a small music store in teh desert.
it absolutely dominates imo, the cleans are really good too.
but my plan now is to run a 6505 and a xxx in stereo

Hmm... I really want to try one now.

*sigh* I guess I will give teh Randall a shot. Although I'm worried about the reliability of this amp. Heard negative things about the build of this amp ( wiring, design, etc.) somewhere in the review section. This amp being discontinued is also another worry. We'll see I guess.
Quote by bulletrocks522
You just described a Mesa Mark V. Google it, its 2grand.

+infinity*infinity+1

One of the most awesome amps and would totally fit your needs. i would get one two if i had the cash but even if i could find one in australia it would be MASSIVELY expensive.
if you get it you wont regret it, it has replaced the many women in my dreams
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Page 1 of 2