I picked up a Aria Pro II - JS Series from a buddy of mine for cheap; he tried playing for a while, but had no real interest in it. He got this guitar from his uncle, who uh.. customized it a little bit. Aside from the hand painted body designs, he MacGuyver'd (sp?) an instrument cable into the actual wiring, so the guitar always had a cable attached. It was kinda cool, but not exactly useful for me. I always loved how the neck on this guitar played, and I thought I'd fix it up a little bit.

I'm planning on refinishing the body and the neck. Right now, I'm considering a fluorescent orange or green, to go with the late 70's/80's vibe I'm getting from the superstrat body, and the reverse banana headstock. I want to replace all of the hardware, and the electronics, since they all seemed pretty well worn out.

Here's a few pics for now:

I started sanding today after I took the pictures, and hopefully I'll be close to ready for priming the body by some point tomorrow.
As an Aria Pro II fanatic, the pictures in this thread pain me so much..
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
It's a shame it's as beat up as it is, I'd love to be able to just leave the guitar how it is and just restore it, rather than have to redo everything. They seem to be great little guitars, and for the price I paid for it, I can't complain at all.

Is there some way I can figure out what year this guitar was made?
What's the serial number?
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
This might sound like a completely moronic question.. but where is the serial number supposed to be on this thing? Haha. I looked in the neck pocket, and on the neck heel too, but I didn't see anything. As a matter of fact, I don't see a number anywhere on the body .
Mine's stamped on the neck plate. What do those stickers say on the back of the headstock?
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
My neckplate was clean; The first sticker on the back of the neck says 'Made in Korea'. The other says JS-3 in bold, and next to that, pretty well faded now, says 'R_BL'. Whatever was in between the R and the B is indecipherable.
those pictures make me sad and this is coming from a guy who dislikes RG shapes
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
From what I've found online, the JS series were an early 90's model.. not as vintage as I had hoped it would be. Vintage or not, this guitar needs to be fixed up.

With the HSS configuration, should I use 250k or 500k pots? If it helps, it has one tone and one volume knob.
Sorry about the double post, but I just wanted to keep this updated.

I managed to get the guitar sanded down pretty well, and sprayed on the primer today. The little pictures and designs were all made in nail polish, so you can just imagine how well 15+ year old nail polish smells when it's sanded off.

I didn't pick the best day to spray on the primer (a little windy), but it turned out fine. I changed my idea from finishing this guitar in a 80's esque fluorescent finish, to an ivory finish. I'm planning on waiting a few days before even beginning spray the finish, allowing the primer to fully dry.

I'm planning on beginning work on the neck this weekend. Is there anything special I need to know about refinishing a neck? Aside from taping off the fingerboard, of course.
Amps:
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Crate Palomino V3212
Ampeg BA115

Guitars:
Fender Special Edition Koa Stratocaster
Ibanez SA...uhhh?
Carvin 4 String Bolt-on Bass (Kit)
Epiphone Les Paul Standard

Squier Project Complete
I wouldn't even consider it on this guitar, since the body isn't even wood; it's some kind of composite (MDF?) that i doubt would hold up too well to routing.

On the topic of the bridge, the trem 'block' on this guitar is only a thin, bent piece of metal; is there any advantage/disadvantage to that? If it helps, I'll upload a pic of it later.
Amps:
Crate Palomino V3212
Ampeg BA115

Guitars:
Ibanez SA...uhhh?

Squier Project Complete
It's very sad how the quality just died when they shifted manufacturing away from Japan.
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by Roast Beef
Er, don't paint the neck pocket.

I got in trouble for saying that in another thread lol

It looks much better than it did already.
Quote by Invader Jim
A post with that many big words just HAS to be right.

Wii FC: 8115 1176 4951 3028
Quote by Roast Beef
why's that

They were like, "Who's build is this again?", I dunno, every time I offer some form of advice I get flamed for it. So I usually just lurk around.
Quote by Invader Jim
A post with that many big words just HAS to be right.

Wii FC: 8115 1176 4951 3028
bah, I call bull****. If they don't want opinions, UG is a bad place to be. Who in the ufck paints the neck pocket anyway?
Quote by Roast Beef
bah, I call bull****. If they don't want opinions, UG is a bad place to be. Who in the ufck paints the neck pocket anyway?

pretty much everyone... i didnt on mine though, but i screwed up my first assemble anyway, my first build will me much better.

looking so much better dude, i wanted to shoot my comp when i saw the first pictures.
"One simple step which a lot of people over look when refinishing a guitar body is masking off the neck pocket. While it really isn't necessary it does have benefits. If you find yourself building up the clear coat rather thick, the tape guarding the pocket won't allow your paint to form unnecessary buildup, especially around the edges which could effect alignment of your neck during assembly. Another benefit which is purely cosmetic is when you peel the tape away from the body you will be left with a more professional look to your finish. "

From www.projectguitar.com, a website i respect.
it also adds more sustain and tone if you don't paint the pocket..
The vibrations are sent through the body and onto the neck which also contributes to tone and sustain. If there is paint in there, there is no wood - wood joint which doesn't allow the vibrations to go down the neck as well...

Interesting rebuild, i'll be watching
I'll be sanding out the neck pocket, don't worry; I just didn't feel like shelling out the $ for the tape. Money is tight for kids who pay for their own college education . The neck still has to be redone (blue neck on an ivory guitar? eww) so im sure the neck pocket and the end of the neck will be subject to a little extra work, since they were both painted to start with, if I remember correctly.

Thanks for looking out though, guys .
Amps:
Crate Palomino V3212
Ampeg BA115

Guitars:
Ibanez SA...uhhh?

Squier Project Complete
Quote by Mungus
I'll be sanding out the neck pocket, don't worry; I just didn't feel like shelling out the $ for the tape. Money is tight for kids who pay for their own college education . The neck still has to be redone (blue neck on an ivory guitar? eww) so im sure the neck pocket and the end of the neck will be subject to a little extra work, since they were both painted to start with, if I remember correctly.

Thanks for looking out though, guys .

Can't afford $2 masking tape?
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Masking tape is expensive dude!

But so is sandpaper

...So you're ****ed either way.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...
Quote by random_B-RAD
Can't afford $2 masking tape?

The tape itself isn't the issue, but the 30 minute round trip drive in the 1984 F-150 makes a special trip to Home Depot cost more than the tape.

I'll get some when I go to pick up the paint though. Never really realized how much of a difference it actually made, even though it makes sense.
Amps:
Crate Palomino V3212
Ampeg BA115

Guitars:
Ibanez SA...uhhh?

Squier Project Complete
Last edited by Mungus at Mar 26, 2009,
The sprayed body looks good to me. Keep us updated with pictures!
If something is nothing it must not be something in any possible way
My apologies for moving at a snail's pace on this; between work, exams, and small roadtrips, I wasn't left with much time to put into this.

Body and neck have been repainted since I posted last. It all turned out very well in my opinion. I apologize in advance for the lackluster cellphone pics. The actual finish is an off white color, although it's somewhat hard to tell. Ivory, to be specific.

I'm also aware that half of the nut is painted.. I'm replacing it, so I wasn't too worried about taping it off. The next step is deciding what I'm going to buy electronics wise, and a color scheme for knobs/pickup covers/pickup ring.

Amps:
Crate Palomino V3212
Ampeg BA115

Guitars:
Ibanez SA...uhhh?

Squier Project Complete
It's really cool that you refinished this classic Aria Pro II,
but I would have kept the head stock information intact.
Now it's a no name guitar forever.
People won't know if your playing a Krammer, Jackson, Ibanez, Westone, of what ever.
You just removed all the guitars DNA.
But that's what you wanted to do.
Might as well put a Fender decal on it ,
just for the hell of it...
I liked it better before you painted it,
with all the stickers and original vintage vibe....
Hi Mungus, I just got this guitar. After seacrching internet I found this 2 year old post. Have you done anything to the pickup? The original one doesn't sound good enough. Thanks.
Quote by guitarcam123
it also adds more sustain and tone if you don't paint the pocket..
The vibrations are sent through the body and onto the neck which also contributes to tone and sustain. If there is paint in there, there is no wood - wood joint which doesn't allow the vibrations to go down the neck as well...

Interesting rebuild, i'll be watching

If you can actually hear the difference that half of a mm of paint in the neck pocket makes, I will PERSONALLY send someone to give you a very sloppy BJ.

Edit: wow, noticed this was bump to a necrobump. My offer stands.
My turn to bump this thread four and a half years after the last post and six years since it really ended. I can't believe the guy never came back to show the final product. I'm going to guess he never finished it. He probably got tired of it or the last coat of paint came out really bad. He probably sold it as-is and was done with it. Hopefully I'm wrong and he pops back up with pictures. That or at least letting us know what happened if he decided not to finish the project.

Another thing, I had a guitar made of the same wood. Yeah, it looked like MDF on mine, though a different brand. I looked it up and it's, at least, stronger and denser than particle board.