I've played music for years now, mainly on guitar and bass. I have experience behind the drumkit as well, but I really want to start learning keys so I can further expand my musical knowledge and theory.

Is it a wise choice to just throw down a few hundred at a place like Best Buy for such a keyboard to begin with?
Check craigslist for a keyboard first. You can probably find a good quality keyboard, and it'll cost you a fraction of what Best Buy will charge you. Once you think you want to get serious, then go pick up a nice one.
you can get a cheap casio for.. i think $50 now.
When i got mine they were $100 but i think there down to $50 now.

but it works great and probably not that much worse than any other non weighted keyboard.
If you have the money for one with weighted keys then get that if not then a cheep one will work great.
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
Didn't even think of Craigslist

Thanks for the input. Anyone else have an opinion?
If your goal is to learn musical knowledge and theory and not specifically *piano* then I wouldn't even worry about weighted keys. It's not like you're already used to them or anything.... unless you see yourself investing in a piano at some point, but even then....

For most pop/rock musicians, a 'synth' style keyboard is most useful in the long run. A few things to look for:
A) It's not how many sounds it has, it's how many *good* sounds it has that you might actually use!! In other words.... those cheap ones with a gazillion built-in sounds.... they all sound crappy. Avoid them.
B) MIDI ports. *At least* must have midi out. This will rule out all the $50-$100 (new) keyboards. If you want to get into sequencing on the computer, you can use your keyboard as a midi controller. You'll be glad you have those MIDI ports. For serious....
C) Look for reputable names. Korg makes fantastic stuff. Yamaha, like anything else they make, has a range from 'barely usable but okay for a beginner' to 'holy crap... that's nice!'
D) Buying used is fine. Check all the ouputs, etc. though to make sure they work. I have a Korg M1 that I have loved for about 8 years. My outputs recently fried on it, rendering it now a glorified midi controller. :-( So... they do crap out.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
My main goals would be learning and recording through USB possibly, so I was thinking a synth may be better, but I don't know where I should look for what would be good to begin with.

I'm into progressive rock music and I know its more about quality tones rather than how many you can jam into one box. If any of you guys have a particular model that would suite me best please feel free to link it...that would be a good start if I do decide to go ahead and buy something.
^^
+1 (at CT)

i do whan to add that my cheep keyboard has midi in and outs.
It works great.. I have applied piano this semester and i use my low-priced keyboard ALL the time to practice. I wouldn't know what to do without it!
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
Last edited by victoryaloy at Mar 18, 2009,
May as well get a cheaper one if you are just planning on learning. You may not even like it. Weighted keys are a preference thing, I like them because they make the keyboard more similar to a piano, but if you have no interest in piano than dont worry about.
Quote by MegaDTSX
Is this one shown on this video okay?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxr9iTtYv1M

Guitarcenter Specs:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Casio-WK-500-76-Key-Digital-Keyboard-Workstation-105015390-i1424878.gc

I'd prefer to find even cheaper, but if thats okay then I could try to shoot for that goal.

Just look for a midi controller, then you can get all the sounds from the internet, and also adjust them.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
...except a midi controller has no sounds in it itself. For him to practice, he'd have to hook it up to his computer and dial in sounds every time with his software. For the short term, that would be a lot of bother, making it less likely for anyone to practice.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
...except a midi controller has no sounds in it itself. For him to practice, he'd have to hook it up to his computer and dial in sounds every time with his software. For the short term, that would be a lot of bother, making it less likely for anyone to practice.

CT

True, but if your computer is on for most of the time, it's the most efficient, and opens up a whole world to record music, and you can do the whole backing band with a nice "feel" to it, as well as when there are new sounds available, you can just buy/download them and don't need to buy the newest synth everytime.

But ye Agreed on that, if you just want to play keys, buy a keyboard.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
I suggest you head to a shop where they sell keyboards. Get your hands on some of the cheaper models, see if it suits your needs.

The one you have in mind should be fine though.