I don't seem to have the patiance to sit down and learn a solo. Even one I really like. I beleive that learning them a measure at a time is a good method. My problem is trying to read tab and then listen to the solo for the timing on an mp3 or you tube just doesn't work. I loose interest quickly. Any tricks out there to make it easier? Maybe software. I have never used Tab Power or Guitar Pro but I see them on the tab lists all the time. Does this make it easier?
Short answer: very much so. Get some kind of notation software where you don't have to figure out the note values yourself by listening to an mp3 of the song.
Solos do hold my interest. It's the tideous process of learning them that I don't like. I am looking for a better method than I have.
If you are having trouble trying to count rhythm then you should learn how to count rhythm, it will benifit you in the long run instead of relying on memory and powertab or guitar pro to play songs for you.
Or do it by ear. This is more fun, more satisfying, eventually easier, and more helpful, in the long run.
Tascam makes a great little devise called the Guitar Trainer. It enables you to take a small section of a solo, loop it, and slow it down, (as far as half speed). They're awesome. I use one in my lessons every day. They cost about $150.00. Also, it doesn't come w/an AC adapter. So make sure you buy that too. It runs on AA batteries, but it eats them really fast.
There's my way and the wrong way.
just learn by ear dude. it's a lot more rewarding and it benefits you in more ways than learning by tabs.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Power Tab/Guitar Pro give you standard notation as well as tab, so you have the rhythm laid out for you - so yes it makes it easier. And don't just try to listen to the track when you have your guitar in your lap - listen to it a lot generally if you are trying to learn the solo, so you know it inside out before you even try and play it.

Also, my advice would be don't break solos down into measures, break them down into phrases. That way the section you're learning will make sense in its own right - isolate any bits of the phrase that are causing you problems and practice them on their own, but try and look at it in the context of the phrase, rather than just as a series of notes.
It's why not every guitarplayer is a virtuoso.

Virtuosos go through the hard and tedious work of learning, and in the end this brigns them great results (And respect).

Sit through it and you will become a better player, sit not through it and you won't. There's no other way.

You even got tabs and slow down software these days and youtube to look up every song.

You used to buy every record you wanted to listen to, and had to sit down and transcribe it using just ur ears.

You got so much more resources then Vai and the like had, and ur still not satisfied/complaining.

There's no shortcut; you want it all, but don't want to work for it.

That's called; "being spoiled" or lazy

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Mar 19, 2009,
you could learn bits of it by ear then go to a tab, you'll find yourself more motivated to piece the chunks together than if you just start fresh, and as a few people have pointed out already its good practice to learn songs by ear anyway
Its always good to learn something that somebody else has written, but try doing your own thing. If you can learn how to make your own solos over somebody else's song or progresion that would be pretty cool. And yeah, guitar pro would be pretty helpful