Hello, everyone. This my first post and guitar build. I want to build a New Century Explorer only with a white pickguard not mirror.

Give me advice on these parts:
Buy a Squier Bullet or Silvertone Revolver (Craigslist)
Take the neck (cut off the headstock and make a new one), tuners, pickups, and electronics.

Use this guide to use parts from single coils to make humbuckers

Find a mahogany table and cut into the body

Buy a Tune-O-Matic, 3-way switch, and knobs.

And somehow make a pickguard.

I calculated this build to cost (not counting paint) $144.50 which definately beats Gibsons price.

Will it work?

Thanks everyone!
Andrew
Last edited by majasticmoose at Mar 18, 2009,
Do what you want man, but just remember, you get what you pay for.
No means maybe
sounds pretty complicated... making your own pickups and all
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
explorers are short sale guitars, while squiers and similar guitars are long scale, for some people scale does not matter, to me it does, is up to you
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Haha well your definitely making it hard on yourself but yeah, with the right commitment and patience you could do it. Oh, and how do you plan on getting that table lol
Smart Pothead and Proud
Don't use a squire neck... just don't.
And if you cut the neck, you may or may not have enough strength left to hold the strings... and, if I'm wrong about that, you'll always have to look at the join between the two pieces of wood.
Don't use squire bullet electronics or parts. Do you really want your 'Gibson replica' to sound like a POS Squire?
And you can't turn three single coils in to humbuckers. There are only three bobbins there, not four. Why don't you just follow the instructions on that site and make a whole pickup like he did? I've read that guide before, and listened to the pups he made- which sound wonderful. It would also be a lot easier to make your own bobbins than to use the squire bobbins, most likely.
Finding a table may be harder than it sounds: and, in most cases, it would be much cheaper to just buy a piece of mahogany lumber.
A pickguard that large won't be easy, if you're looking for plastic. I, personally, have no idea where you find plastic sheets that large... and I don't think stewmac sells blanks that big.

It sounds to me like you need to do a lot more research before you think about starting
Quote by conor1148
who cares if they're drawn,

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Modded Johnson Stratocaster
it may work dude, the hard thing is getting the materials and making the pickups...if you make your own pickups, could you give me some tips to make one easier?...i find it kinda complicated :S

i hope that your project will work
Quote by Emoishboy
Don't use a squire neck... just don't.
And if you cut the neck, you may or may not have enough strength left to hold the strings... and, if I'm wrong about that, you'll always have to look at the join between the two pieces of wood.
Don't use squire bullet electronics or parts. Do you really want your 'Gibson replica' to sound like a POS Squire?
And you can't turn three single coils in to humbuckers. There are only three bobbins there, not four. Why don't you just follow the instructions on that site and make a whole pickup like he did? I've read that guide before, and listened to the pups he made- which sound wonderful. It would also be a lot easier to make your own bobbins than to use the squire bobbins, most likely.
Finding a table may be harder than it sounds: and, in most cases, it would be much cheaper to just buy a piece of mahogany lumber.
A pickguard that large won't be easy, if you're looking for plastic. I, personally, have no idea where you find plastic sheets that large... and I don't think stewmac sells blanks that big.

It sounds to me like you need to do a lot more research before you think about starting

I was planning on making my own bobbins, and use the Squier pole pieces and slugs.

Are Squier necks really that weak!?

Stew-Mac sells pickguard 11-1/4" x 19-1/8" thats too small right?
Quote by majasticmoose
You'd be surprised what you can find on Criagslist. Most are like $20-$40
Here's one free ->http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/zip/1073232052.html

Good luck finding a mahogany table thick enough. It sounds like you are trying to do things the cheap way but are making things more difficult then they need to be at the same time. Check the yellow pages for lumber stores/yards ask them if they carry anything in 8/4 by 8, you will need about 3 feet of that for the body, they should also have something suitable for the body.

Like it was said you cant make 2 hums out of 3 singles.

While we are at it, have you done any research as to dimensions things need to be, found an out line/template at all? Do you have any wood working experience? Do you know what tools you need, and do you have them?

You're better off doing things the right way the first time, it is easier in the long run, even if it seems more expensive it really isn't in the end when you factor in time, and frustrations, and things to jimmy it up to make it work.
While we are at it, have you done any research as to dimensions things need to be, found an out line/template at all? Do you have any wood working experience? Do you know what tools you need, and do you have them?

This is a learning experience. I am going to have to buy a solder iron and learn how to. I do have some wood working experience.

I was planning on tracing an Explorer, but can i find one online (for free). I have found CAD drawings and templates that you can pay for. Got to learn sometime.
Quote by majasticmoose
I was planning on making my own bobbins, and use the Squier pole pieces and slugs.

Are Squier necks really that weak!?

Stew-Mac sells pickguard 11-1/4" x 19-1/8" thats too small right?

Yeah. I'd suggest just making your own neck. Or at least a pre-slotted fretboard.

I'm not sure about explorers, but I think you'd need another three or four inches in both directions.
In any case: you still don't have the adjustable polepieces- which aren't hard to find. And the slugs /are/ the polepieces.... just so you know.
I think that the single coils produced by squire have solid bobbins and thin, short magnets underneath... kindof like a P-90. And I don't know that you would want to use those ceramic magnets if you're planning on getting a gibson-like tone out of it. Ceramic magnets tend to be fairly harsh when used on 'buckers. They're also too thin to use in the classic humbucker setup, so you'd have to design an improvisation off of it so the magnets would work.
At this point, it's much easier (and much cheaper) to buy an alnico V magnet off of Allparts or Stewmac that is the correct size to be used as the magnet in a pickup. The slugs aren't hard to find, they're in the same two places, and a lot more, if you feel like looking around.

emoEDIT:
Try making your first build easy on yourself. Really. Good luck finding a mahogany table that's two inches thick...
and I would suggest that you don't use a squire for parts. It's nice to see YOUR work coming to life for the first time. Really nice.
So I'd suggest you go from scratch.

emoEDITEDIT:
Quote by PainIsPower
There's more to it then wood + saw = guitar.

this. There's a lot more experience and tools needed. Rasps, files, angle grinder (but you're not doing a carve top, so that's not quite so important) a bandsaw, spokeshave, and, most importantly, A ROUTER.
A router gets you a LONG way.

emoEDITEDITEDIT:
And, by the way, sorry if I seem like a fairly pessimistic jerk. I'm just trying to be realistic, because it sucks to get going and fall flat on your face.

emoEDITEDITEDITEDIT:
and you'd need a dinner table if you really want to use a table. Most solid coffee tables are only half or three quarters of an inch thick.
Quote by conor1148
who cares if they're drawn,

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Modded Johnson Stratocaster
Last edited by Emoishboy at Mar 18, 2009,
Quote by Slovak_Ghost
sounds pretty complicated... making your own pickups and all
yeah, i dont think i would start this build if it was you thread starter. you dont seem ready IMO, id read up a little more on building one and then get started. check out Build Your Own Electric Guitar by Melvyn Hiscock. thats just my oppinion though. best of luck anyways
Last edited by necroscience13 at Mar 18, 2009,
Quote by majasticmoose
Hello, everyone. This my first post and guitar build. I want to build a New Century Explorer only with a white pickguard not mirror.

Give me advice on these parts:
Buy a Squier Bullet or Silvertone Revolver (Craigslist)
Take the neck (cut off the headstock and make a new one), tuners, pickups, and electronics.

If you're going to buy a cheap neck, get one from Guitar Fetish or RondoMusic. You'll get it cheaper than the Squier, especially if you were planning on new hardware anyway.
Don't cut off the headstock. It can be done, I've seen successful headstock transplants using both scarf and biscuit joints, but trust me, you don't want to.

Use this guide to use parts from single coils to make humbuckers

Again, you CAN do this, but unless you've got a lot of electronics knowledge, the free time to use it, and the tools to back it up, it's not worth it. Plus, for what you'll pay for 42 AWG wire, you might as well just buy some pickups.

Find a mahogany table and cut into the body

Please be careful when using any tools on a table top. There are often nails or other nasty things hiding inside... they can ruin your tools on a good day and fly out into your eyeball on a bad day.

The wood used on a table is also not going to be held to as high standards as on a guitar, either. Knots can make life very difficult, especially on such a large body. I see that you're trying to keep the cost down, so my suggestion here is: don't use mahogany.

It's really not going to be much more expensive to build this guitar from poplar, alder, or ash. To be honest, you could make a very nice sounding body blank for 20-30 bucks, if you're willing to put in some time planning it out.

Buy a Tune-O-Matic, 3-way switch, and knobs.

This is good. Don't skimp on the bridge.

And somehow make a pickguard.

Strictly speaking, you don't need one on an explorer. If you're trying to save money, cut the budget here.

I calculated this build to cost (not counting paint) $144.50 which definately beats Gibsons price.

If you follow my suggestions you'll be able to do this for... $175-ish. And this way will cut your build time in half, and eliminate enough mistakes that you might actually end up with a guitar at the end.

Will it work?

Thanks everyone!
Andrew

It might, if you're dedicated to the project, plan carefully, and don't rush.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...
TS, you really need to do some more research...

Cutting off the headstock and putting on a new one isn't as easy as it sounds. You gotta match the grain, using some sort of really strong joint and titebond original glue the new bit on - has to be a strong hardwood preferable maple. Plus squier necks have like a dip thing at the end, good luck trying to work around that.

Turning single coils into humbuckers? your going to have to make a winding machine unless you feel like doing 4 lots of 6000 winds by hand. Plus its $30 for a thing of wire that will do 2 pickups. Taking pole pieces and the bobbins off single coils and putting them next to eachother isn't a humbucker. Humbuckers and single coils are different - humbuckers have an adjustable pole piece side and a flat side, they have wooden and metal spacers, big bar magnets etc. Single coils have a bobbin and pole pieces and sometimes a bar magnet. Plus single coil bobbins are different to humbucker bobbins, infact single coils don't even use bobbins they use flatwork...

Buying a table for the body? Like the guy above me said, it will be full of knots and nails etc. For all you know its plywood with a mahogany veneer or stain.

Squier neck + Explorer body = no worky. The scale length will be different, the bridge will look odd in the place you put it. Buy a actual explorer neck if your not going to make one, and not one off craiglist - try warmoth or mightymite.

Somehow make a pickguard? good to know your planning everything out and thinking about things. Buy one if your lazy

Do you have a explorer template? Do you have a bandsaw, drill press, sander, planer/ thicknesser, router, experience, skills?

How about before your next post actually think this through and use google, you'll probably find the questions your asking are just plain stupid
Ok, i definately want to make my own pickups. Would a B.C. Rich Warlock neck and electronics work better? Does the electronics (not pickups but the wires and pots) really affect the tone?
Last edited by majasticmoose at Mar 19, 2009,