I decided on picking up the guitar recently, and decided to begin playing it. I however, need some help deciding upon a guitar. Recommendations? I was considering going with the starcaster..
what's your budget, including amp.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Don't get a starcaster, they suck.
The ones in brackets are the lower end brands, but are still quality

Fender (Squier)
Gibson (Epiphone)
Agile
ESP (LTD)
Jackson (just the JS series)
Ibanez
Budget of about 200 dollars.. Not that high, but this is my first guitar and I can't spend an extreme amount of money on it..
if you only have $200, then buy a $100 dean or similar and a microcube for $125
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

you could find something from a pawn shop i saw a Charvelette in a pawn shop for $100
Last edited by STPFan88 at Mar 18, 2009,
check out LTD.
Guitar Center now sells them
i have a 380 dollar ESP and it is my main guitar over an american strat.
ESP make no-bull guitars. they are great imo. check out their 50 series.
but what kind of music are you interested in playing?
Some metal, perhaps a little punk. Bands I prefer: Rise against, Metallica, Flobots. I enjoy everything pretty much..
Quote by shadow444
Some metal, perhaps a little punk. Bands I prefer: Rise against, Metallica, Flobots. I enjoy everything pretty much..

well try out what you like. in my opinion, most LTD's feel pretty similar. in some way.

try what you think would be good for your style. also check youtube for people of a guitar you are interested in.
Amp: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Vypyr-15-15W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104922851-i1413605.gc

Great sounding amp for a solid-state, but the controls can be a bit overwhelming for a beginner. Has a built in tuner.

Guitar: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-LP-Junior-Special-Electric-Guitar-101691038-i1150104.gc

Pretty decent starter guitar, I'd say it would be a step above a Squire.
Gear:

-Guitars-
Esp/LTD JH-200
Ibanez RG2EX2
Yamaha FD01

-Amps-
Marshall MGDFX250 (It was a Gift)
Peavey Vypyr 15 watt

-Effects-
Digitech DF-7
Its a bit tough choosing your first guitar as you don't know what you need and can't test guitars as you have no idea how to play them or what to look for. Try asking someone you know who has played guitar for a while. They could come with you and help you get the best for your money.
Quote by shadow444

yeah it doesnt matter as long as you also get the microcube.

edit: i see the second is a jump start set.

you're better off with a micro cube and a $100 guitar.
also look for B stock, or blems to save some cash.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Mar 19, 2009,
it doesn't really matter what kind of guitar you get. Buy whatever is the cheapest (Bar anything you find in department store your amplifier buy a Fender G-Dec Amplifier, The amplifier is much more important than the guitar. The G-Dec will allow you to do so many things like play along with songs, tune your guitar easily (Although you should learn how to tune it for when you don't have a tuner) And it has many presets and you can make your own presets too. Check out this video for more information:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQN1T72Lp34
Last edited by Gargoyle2500 at Mar 19, 2009,
Microcube or Cube 15x for the amp. See what's left in cash and check what's about in used. There are some good guitars around that people trade up from and the advice about taking a friend along is a very good one. Make it a friend who is picky so you don't get tempted by looks alone.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

imo, microcube>cube15x
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

When you upgrade to a better amplifier buy a G-Dec. You won't need effects pedals with this thing. Also when you first start playing start it out with easy riffs like Planet Claire by The B-52's and use Drop D tuning for when you start playing.
Quote by Lordbob
Amp: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Vypyr-15-15W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104922851-i1413605.gc

Great sounding amp for a solid-state, but the controls can be a bit overwhelming for a beginner. Has a built in tuner.

Guitar: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-LP-Junior-Special-Electric-Guitar-101691038-i1150104.gc

Pretty decent starter guitar, I'd say it would be a step above a Squire.

I would not go with a LP for a begginer as they have restricted fret acses{SP} and are very bulky but are great guitars
Quote by Silent_Crow13
Get a Agile.

Why would anyone do that? JK :P
He couldn't get amp if he did that.
Last edited by eaton1012 at Mar 19, 2009,