So, the background story:

I'm currently a grade 12 north of the border. I'm a top level student, averaging in the high 80's for my completed 30-level classes (Basically grade 12 level courses). I'm a very strong music and English student who is planning on majoring in journalism. I'm planning on coming back for an extra year of high school to add on some classes (Communication Technologies and Chemistry, both at the 30-level). My girlfriend and I have been talking a lot about our future, and what schools we'd like to apply to for college/university. I've had an interest in schooling outside of the country since the beginning of grade 10, and thus we both decided that we'd each pick one school in the US, and both of us would apply at the schools. After that, if we were accepted, we'd make the final decision about going there, or staying in Canada.

The University of Minnesota is my choice based on a couple of things. One of those reasons is their strong sports program, specifically their hockey team, which dominates the NCAA competition year in and year out. Also, Minnesota's culture is very similar to Canadian culture (I love the culture here, I just want to go somewhere different). The weather is something I'm used to as well. Another contributing factor is my idea in terms of a career path. I'd love to attempt to get a job within the Minnesota Wild organization (They play in St. Paul, not too far from the main university campus). There are other appealing factors to Minnesota, but those are the main ones for me, as crazy as they seem.

I'm just looking for some opinions from current, past, and prospective students, as well as residents of the Minneapolis area on the university and living arrangements. What would it cost me to rent a small house or apartment? What would living expenses in general (Food, etc) cost me? What's tuition like at the university? Lame questions like that.

Why do I go to UG for life advice?
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
Uh, Valley Fair is there, and it's tons of fun.

Hopefully that will help your decision.
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Quote by Liberation
So, the background story:

The University of Minnesota is my choice based on a couple of things. One of those reasons is their strong sports program, specifically their hockey team, which dominates the NCAA competition year in and year out.

This is the worst reason to pick a school. It won't help your education [the point of a school]. But your other reasons seem valid.

Here's a good site to look up college info [it's on the page for cost] link
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
Quote by Psalm 150:4
This is the worst reason to pick a school. It won't help your education [the point of a school]. But your other reasons seem valid.

Here's a good site to look up college info [it's on the page for cost] link

Well, it's not like it's a bad school. I want a university experience that will be enjoyable. Edmonton offers me nothing. UMN is on par with the U of A, but MN has the intangibles that would make my university experience much more enjoyable.

EDIT: Thanks for the link. $18,200CAD seems a little steep for what I can afford...but there's always financial aid...

My marks could definitely easily get me in. I suppose it's not much of an issue about academics, but rather finance...
Last edited by Liberation at Mar 18, 2009,
Quote by Liberation
Well, it's not like it's a bad school. I want a university experience that will be enjoyable. Edmonton offers me nothing. UMN is on par with the U of A, but MN has the intangibles that would make my university experience much more enjoyable.

Yeah I'm not arguing that. I'm just saying if you have the choice between a highly-rated academics school and a school that's really good at sports, don't pick the sport one.

I'm sure you'd be happy with U of N. Did you go to collegeboard?

Quote by Psalm 150:4
Yeah I'm not arguing that. I'm just saying if you have the choice between a highly-rated academics school and a school that's really good at sports, don't pick the sport one.

I'm sure you'd be happy with U of N. Did you go to collegeboard?

Yeah, I edited my previous post.
Quote by Liberation
Yeah, I edited my previous post.

Oh, sorry Yeah, that's the bad thing about going to public out-of-state colleges. They jack the price wayyy up. But scholarships/financial aid can help you out; Average financial aid package: $13,272.

Good luck with your decisions

Yeah, and for me, it's out of country. I should check with my local university to see if there's a transfer program. There's one for most US colleges/Universities. I just want to spend at least one year outside of Canada for my education without going overseas.

Thanks
Out-of-state tuition is going to rape you. Sorry bro.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

U of M is a great school, specifically Carlson and IT. My brother goes to Carlson. I was going to go there but I'm going to Iowa State University instead.