I have a final project for my guitar course and we gotta construct a song with 3 guitars. 3 people playing at once but we can't all be playing the same thing. I was thinking to putting playing lead with throwing riffs here and there. Then one playing rhythm harmonizing with 3rds and 5ths.

Now I was asking is there any way I can put this into a more interesting arrangement to take advantage of 3 guitars? Right now it seems like too much guitar and noise than a great sounding song.

The sound I'm making is in E minor if that helps

Any tips on how to take advantage of 3 guitars?
is too young to be versed in such grown up ways...

please listen to my band at www.drawntofury.com
Have one play the chord progression and the other two play a melody harmonized.
Peavey JSX
Traynor YCV
Fender '68 Bassman
Jetter Gain Stage Red OD
MI Audio Crunch Box
Fulltone Choralflange
Fender Strat
Carvin 7 String
Quote by randomdude

This.
Have one do all the riffs and rhythm parts and compose dual leads for the other two guitars.
Quote by randomdude

Exactly. Go check out "Voice of the Soul" by Death for a good example.
Quote by randomdude

This.

Or make it interesting and have two play counter melodies, and one doing the backing chords.
the best dual lead guitars that i've herd have almost always been harmonized in 3rds
check out iron maiden tabs for examples of how this is done successfully
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Sorry I forgot to mention this is all suppose to be on acoustics . No idea why I didn't think of dual leads (never tried to do a song like that). Thanks for the tips so far, this is worth a well portion of my grade and don't want it to sound like a mess.

Quote by justinb904
the best dual lead guitars that i've herd have almost always been harmonized in 3rds
check out iron maiden tabs for examples of how this is done successfully

Any specific Iron Maiden songs for a good example??

Quote by fierce1289
Any specific Iron Maiden songs for a good example??

Aces high!!!
I have a song that could be adapted to acoustic with three guitar parts. Have one do like a picking chord melody (not strumming the chord, picking it). Have the other strumming a harmonizing chord thingy over it (if anything just experiment with this) and have another playing a lead harmony. I mean if he is not too strict, you could technically have 3 guitars playing three different parts loosely based around the same chords.
Quote by fierce1289
Sorry I forgot to mention this is all suppose to be on acoustics . No idea why I didn't think of dual leads (never tried to do a song like that). Thanks for the tips so far, this is worth a well portion of my grade and don't want it to sound like a mess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea0CDieb4yM

Think of trying to cover all the frequencies. One guitar doing an almost cello like part, one guitar with an open tuning with nice, bright chords and finally another guitar creating a melody using higher notes. I, personally, feel the best acoustic songs have this perfect balance of frequencies...erm Opeth - Harvest. Deep, rumbling bass, acoustic playing chords and the second guitar creating a lead line. (I know you don't have a bassist, just an example).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdfQo6SZNac
Definitely Check out Voice of the soul by death it's pure guitar and is just kickass all the guitars are using different harmony's.That song gives me cjhills
Quote by Micehorns
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea0CDieb4yM

Think of trying to cover all the frequencies. One guitar doing an almost cello like part, one guitar with an open tuning with nice, bright chords and finally another guitar creating a melody using higher notes. I, personally, feel the best acoustic songs have this perfect balance of frequencies...erm Opeth - Harvest. Deep, rumbling bass, acoustic playing chords and the second guitar creating a lead line. (I know you don't have a bassist, just an example).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdfQo6SZNac

+1
good advice
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Radiohead is a good example of a band that utilizes three guitars quite frequently. Look at "Paranoid Android" and "My Iron Lung" to see how it's done.
If you want a unique sounding 3-guitar piece, try and mess around with the Half-Whole Diminished scale, which is made of half step, then whole step, then half step and so on. In E it goes E-F-G-Ab-Bb-B-C#-D-E, anyways, the interesting thing about this is that its symetrical, anything you play can be played a minor third up and being in key, because of its structure.

So an interesting thing to do is write a chord progression in the scale, have a guitar do a lead line and have the other guitar harmonize it entirely with minor thirds, its got a very odd sound, but it'd probably be alot different then anything else your class makes.
Thanks for all the advice! I gotta kinda write the parts to my members level, 2 of my group members have only played about a year and they struggle with things. The guy playing bass is good and has no troubles and writing his own thing with me and then its me who has the most experience with guitar. My class has a wide range of guitar experience.

I really diggin on the single notes over chords but my group members struggle playing it cleanly even at the slowish pace the song is at. Looks like I gotta make this song purely chords that harmonize so that my group can all play it clean (part of my grade) and then me play a high melody riff over it.

So i'm just having one play a chord progession, the other harmonize the chords in 3rds. Me play a melody with high notes.

I recorded it and it sounds decent all together.

Quote by randomdude

+1
Instead of harmonizing thirds the whole time maybe try two different ideas on the guitars playing melody for a bit of originality.
To accomodate for the lower skill levels of your companion guitarists, you could get both strumming rhythm, except at different places on the guitar. One would play Em at the traditional place, whilst another could be capo'd on something like the 7th fret and play Em with an Am shape. It's a simple way of filling out the soundscape, and you can be free to play a melody over them.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Play power chord riffs and have each guitar play one note of the chord.

>.>

<.<

>.>
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

Can't give much advice here, but if you're looking for more research material: Oceansize is a band that uses three guitar players. They mostly play the chord / harmonized lead stuff. Also, I remember seeing three guys on YouTube playing acoustic versions of songs, but I forgot what band they were covering, I'll edit it in once I remember .
Rockin' the Gibson SG Standard Cherry!
1. A melody/solo
2. A repeated riff on the lower strings (bass line of sorts)
3. Chords
This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is MINE.
Well if you can only use acoustics here's what I would do.

Guitar 1, Basic open string chords.

Guitar 2, Same chords, but do them higher up the neck on only 3 strings, kind of a funky percussive thing, either the EBG or BGD strings, throw in some sus2 or sus4, or some kind of chord based melodies while doing it.

Guitar 3, Riffs and octave based melodies, that kind of thing
1. Rythm
2. Lead
3. Octave up from lead, or same chords as Rythm in a different voicing.

Please add me if as a friend I helped! (I like to think I'm a friendly person)