Hey so I just started guitar (acoustic) and I just had some questions...

1) When you play, do you play with your fingers pushing on the strings on the FRET or FINGERBOARD?

2) Im learning through tabs, so should I start out with chords and play really easy songs then advance? Again I play acoustic.

3) Also, Im using my friends tuner and I click the on button, now do I just play each string and turn the nobs until the light inbetween glows or to 0? Because if so, the guitar still sound weird and off even when the middle light glows.

this is what Im talking about

b=music note that I dont know how ot type, looks like the letter "b" lower cased.
( ) = light
(g) = middle green light

b ( ) (g) ( ) #

Thanks!
1. neither kept reading your question wrong lol
2. Try learning green days good riddiance time of your life or Polly by Nirvana those are easy acoustic songs.
3. Sorry idk what ya mean mate
Last edited by Dexisuey at Mar 18, 2009,
Quote by greent

1) When you play, do you play with your fingers pushing on the strings on the FRET or FINGERBOARD?

2) Im learning through tabs, so should I start out with chords and play really easy songs then advance? Again I play acoustic.

3) Also, Im using my friends tuner and I click the on button, now do I just play each string and turn the nobs until the light inbetween glows or to 0? Because if so, the guitar still sound weird and off even when the middle light glows.

b=music note that I dont know how ot type, looks like the letter "b" lower cased.
( ) = light
(g) = middle green light

b ( ) (g) ( ) #

Thanks!

1)Neither. Press on the string just behind the fret, but just until the string touches the fret. your finger shouldn't hit the fretboard.

2)Chords are pretty good, but i suggest learning a basic chromatic scale, and practice that until you get it down. you can try chords then, too, or just the scales. chords are more fun, so they'll probably keep you more interested.

3) little b means the note is flat, or under the pitch you're shooting for. the number sign indicates that it is sharp, or above the pitch. so, yes, go for the middle.

hope i helped...
Quote by greent

( ) = light
(g) = middle green light

b ( ) (g) ( ) #

Thanks!

1.) You push down the strings onto the wooden parts between the frets (metal dividing things)

2.) Either one, depends what you want to learn to play.

3.)1st string(thinnest one): E
2nd:B
3rd:G
4th: D
5th: A
6th:E
tune them to that.
1: fingerboard
2: yes, and also using a beginners lesson book helps tremendously with the basics
3: b is flat(low), # is sharp(high), the green light in the middle is where you need to be and be sure your tuning the strings to the right note EADGbe low(top) to high(bottom)

i started out playing an acoustic about 3 & 1/2 years ago, just keep practicing, don't be shy about asking for help and... it's late, that's all i can think of
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Mar 18, 2009,
Quote by greent

3) Also, Im using my friends tuner and I click the on button, now do I just play each string and turn the nobs until the light in between glows or to 0? Because if so, the guitar still sound weird and off even when the middle light glows.

( ) = light
(g) = middle green light

b ( ) (g) ( ) #

Thanks!

Thanks for all replys!

ok so...

1) Isnt fingerboard the wooden gap between the frets (silver lines)? If so, play in the space inbetween the silver lines. RIGHT?

2) The music I plan to play with my acoustic i probably alternative rock, or maybe some acoustic artist songs (like Jack Johnson).

So I should play chords and easy songs to start out with RIGHT? Also what are scales, are they part of guitar tabs?

3) Ok so I kind of found how to use it know, thanks to you guys . But when I play a open note, the tuner detects the wrong string.

Ex. I play the 2nd thickest string (A) opened and the tuner reads B, 2nd thinnest string. Sooo am I doing it wrong or the tuner?

Also, when I wrote RIGHT? please correct me if I am wrong!

Thanks!
Last edited by greent at Mar 19, 2009,
Quote by greent
Thanks for all replys!

ok so...

1) Isnt fingerboard the wooden gap between the frets (silver lines)? If so, play in the space inbetween the silver lines. RIGHT?

2) The music I plan to play with my acoustic i probably alternative rock, or maybe some acoustic artist songs (like Jack Johnson).

So I should play chords and easy songs to start out with RIGHT? Also what are scales, are they part of guitar tabs?

3) Ok so I kind of found how to use it know, thanks to you guys . But when I play a open note, the tuner detects the wrong string.

Ex. I play the 2nd thickest string (A) opened and the tuner reads B, 2nd thinnest string. Sooo am I doing it wrong or the tuner?

Also, when I wrote RIGHT? please correct me if I am wrong!

Thanks!

Okay, you wan't to press down the string so it touches the fret(silver things)your finger should not be on the metal, but just before it.

2. sounds like your guitar is seriously out of tune, write "online guitar tuner" in google and then tune your strings as close to those notes as possible, and then use your guitar tuner.

3. Scales are a collections of notes that make up chords and riffs, like tried and tested combinations of notes that sound good together. It's a good idea to look up this as early as possible. there are loads of lessons on this site.

And yeah mate, start of with easy songs.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Let me break it down for you as far as tuning.

If your tuner is displaying a different note, either the string is playing WAY too flat (b) or sharp (#). If it is flat, then you need to tighten the string. Use a pick so the tuner can get listen to the cleanest tone possible.

Let's say you want to tune the 6 string (the thickest one [E]), tighten the string up to where its tight enough to pick, then keep picking it until the tuner reads E and the needle is pointing straight up and the green light is fully illuminated. Make sure when your tuning your guitar unplugged that there is minimal background noise that can form harmony with the guitar and confuse the tuner.

Now, on to the A string, do the same thing. Keep doing this for all the strings and you should be in standard EADGbe tuning.

===

When you are playing a note, you should never push the string down directly in between the two frets (the skinny metal bars on the neck). If you do this, you will be working much harder to play the note. When you push down, make sure your finger is right behind the fret almost like your pushing the string against the side of the fret. You need to develop this habit first and fore most because developing new habits is much easier than changing old ones.

Also, you shouldn't try to learn songs right away. Go on Google image search and type in "basic open chords", open up one of those results and practice playing those and transitioning from one another until your fingers cant take it anymore. Do this on a daily basis until your 100% comfortable with it and THEN try to learn some songs.