Hi, im in a band and we have our first gig coming up soon, just wondering how many songs we should know when that day comes
btw it is gonna be with 4 other bands and the show is from like 6-8 so yeah
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Limited Edition Standard W/ Seymour Duncans
Crate GTD15R
Peavey Vypyr 15W

[IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/21c8s9j.jpg[/IMG]
Last edited by stevo9720 at Mar 18, 2009,
depends on where its at...if you are playing alone or with other bands before or after you, and how long you have to play.
Because it's your first gig, i'll say not a lot, you'd better try to play your songs 100% correct...

And this:

depends on where its at...if you are playing alone or with other bands before or after you, and how long you have to play.
Last edited by MangeuDePoutine at Mar 18, 2009,
lol
Gear:
Crate GTD15R
Peavey Vypyr 15W

i would say around 3-5 songs.
that seems appropriate when there are a bunch of bands playing..
but when its only your band or maybe another band, you could do like 5-7 songs...
it depends though
its an average sized church
Gear:
Crate GTD15R
Peavey Vypyr 15W

4 to 6 give or take, depending on song length
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by stevo9720
its an average sized church

Sweet!! play about 5 then!
playing for God rocks my socks off!
Quote by neverspoiled
Sweet!! play about 5 then!
playing for God rocks my socks off!

they should play Stairway... you can't go wrong with that when playing in a church hah
No im not playing christian songs, its just space to play we are doing a cover of dammit and the rest is our own punk songs
Gear:
Crate GTD15R
Peavey Vypyr 15W

Quote by stevo9720
No im not playing christian songs, its just space to play we are doing a cover of dammit and the rest is our own punk songs

cool your a punk band.
punk is cool. just curious, do you plan on playing long? because punk songs usually dont run for more than 2 and a half minutes.. or at least that ive heard...
Usually when you play a gig the venue sets a time limit on each band. Most sets run between 20 and 30 minutes and you need to figure out what songs you can do in the allotted time. You figure 5 bands 2 hrs that's about 24 minutes each band, Now you have to include setting up between bands and that can cut down each bands time playing another 5 minutes each gone. Then figure a little time between songs for reacting with the crowd so you need to have enough songs to fill about 15 of those minutes.
Last edited by johnro6659 at Mar 18, 2009,
my band played at a church once, and we played laid to rest by lamb of god just for the occasion :P
Gear:

Esp Ltd DJ-600
Ibanez S520EX
Parker P 44 Pro
Traynor YCS100 Head
Traynor YCS412 cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD20
Boss GE-21
Ibanez TS7
EH Soul Preacher
BBE Sonix Maximizer 462 rack
the venue usually gives us a time limit

anywhere from 30 minutes to 2+ hours
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by JLT73
the venue usually gives us a time limit

anywhere from 30 minutes to 2+ hours

This. Factor in the time you are given with the length of songs. Also dont forget to factor in time in between songs for the singer to BS and pump up the crowd. This takes up time too
In my experience, if every band has their gear on stage when the show starts, you have at LEAST 10 minutes between bands, and thats if the changeover happens with surgical precision.

I would count on 15 minutes between bands, and 15 minutes of actual playing time which to me means 3-4 songs (First and last being strongest IMO) with an extra prepared just in case (Also something potent ).
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
I'm of the opinion that you should never play songs you're less than 90% sorted on. Don't play half finished stuff; if that means you only play 3, then only play 3.
404: Sig not found.
Last edited by ChrisN at Mar 19, 2009,
Quote by ChrisN
I'm of the opinion that you should never play songs you're not less than 90% sorted on. Don't play half finished stuff; if that means you only play 3, then only play 3.

I disagree. When you have a strong Intro or an awesome solo or just a very gifted singer you can just play a 12 bar blues if you convey it the right way. Concerts are entertainment.
With one band we once took an extremely stupid Rockabilly rhythm in Gm and improvised, our singer just sang random stuff and the crowd loved it.
If you play the right music you can also take a half finished song and go ot with an extremely long solo (like LA Blues by The Stooges).
Quote by lavazza
I disagree. When you have a strong Intro or an awesome solo or just a very gifted singer you can just play a 12 bar blues if you convey it the right way. Concerts are entertainment.
With one band we once took an extremely stupid Rockabilly rhythm in Gm and improvised, our singer just sang random stuff and the crowd loved it.
If you play the right music you can also take a half finished song and go ot with an extremely long solo (like LA Blues by The Stooges).

In the past I've/we've done exactly that sorta thing too. I'm not saying anything against it as such because many people have made whole careers out of improvising [during gigs]. I've just got a different opinion on things now after doing both over the years I've been gigging.

As with much to do with music, you should do what feels right. The way I go with things now just feels more right to me. It's not gonna be the same for everyone.

404: Sig not found.