I'd suggest being realistic. You're not going to get the gear you need to replicate that tone with 500 bucks - not even used.

Look at the gear their guitarist(s) used. Go from there.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by STPFan88
i knew his name was david gilmour what would it take a couple grand?

try like 5 to 7 grand.
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
If you're not particularly anal about your tone, a strat on the neck pickup through a tight and creamy distortion pedal with lots of mid n' treble on w/e amp you use oughta give you something to work with. I'm searching for the same thing, and for not that much money i'm putting (in my ****-ass squier strat) a seymour duncan single-coil style humbucker in the bridge, a softer emg in the neck, and wiring them together for that oh-so-gilmour combo of subtle screamy sustain. mmmm pinch harmonics.
buy a cheap used strat and get the active electronic custom pickguard put in. and maybe a higher end line6 (sudders at the thought of suggesting line 6 amps)
the older you do get the more rules they're gonna try to get you to follow. You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N.

Quote by GibsonRocker14
you can use guitar strings to skin carrots....

wait.... wuttt???
if you wanted the real thing get a pre cbs fender and a hiwatt bulldog 50 watt combo amp
the older you do get the more rules they're gonna try to get you to follow. You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N.

Quote by GibsonRocker14
you can use guitar strings to skin carrots....

wait.... wuttt???
Quote by maidenpriest69
buy a cheap used strat and get the active electronic custom pickguard put in. and maybe a higher end line6 (sudders at the thought of suggesting line 6 amps)

You think Line 6 will get a Floyd tone?

Floyd's tone was the polar opposite of a processed sound.....

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
i cant do a line 6 nice try though i looked at that gilmourish.com and i like what i see there
Step 1; Buy a stratocaster.

Optional step 2; Either Gilmour EMG's, Lace Gold Sensors, or if you want the studio tone, A Seymour Duncan SSL-1 in the bridge.

Step 3; Big Muff or RAT.

Step 4; A good overdrive depending on what song(s) you're talking about.

Step 5; Also depending on what song(s), MXR Phase 90.

Step 6; TUBES. preferably British-voiced and with a gainstage. A driveable preamp controllable via a master knob controlling the power section is a must though.

Friend of mine in a Floyd tribute band does this. Granted he saved four years wages for all his gear, but still.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Mar 18, 2009,
Money you need a phaser for...I think...that may have been some sort of other modulation, but it sounds like one of the guitars in there is using a phaser st to a fast speed. As for Run Like Hell, you'll need a delay, and if you want to fully replicate the tone up until the amp, a telecaster as well as a strat. And the overdrive is also needed for those two, though I think Run Like Hell is clean, he may play it live with some breakup though, I'm not sure with a man like Gilmour.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
they just released the gilmour black strat, it's only 23k american!

Kidding, of course.

That's a total rip, just go with any Fender strat that feels right to you, and throw some active EMGs in itI know that's what he used in the latter days of floyd. Try to go as british as you can with everything but the guitar. Somebody mentioned a hiwatt stack, I've seen him use it in many of videos. On the division bell, he had a digitech Whammy. The latest one will run you 200 bucks. probably not worth it, although I own one. That Big Muff sounds like a good idea too.

Gilmour stated in his interviews that he has a ****load of effects hooked up to his rig all the time, so expiriment with things you can afford. Also, his strat has like a 3/4 scale whammy bar. So possibly buy a junky one and cut it?
member 21 of the ug pink floyd fan club
I PWNED VINCENT745 TWICE!!!
SPIDER WATCH
JS30RR
Agile AL3100 Silverburst (w/Entwhistle Dark Stars)
My advice: Used MIM > Used Boss GT6/GT8 > Used vintage voiced tube amp... Crate Palomino, Crate Vintage Club 6x series, etc. Maybe an HRD? Voicing of the amp is nto exactly what you want but the second hand prices are aright. Blues Deluxe (I forget the model names anymore, I THINK that is it) may also work. I bet you could assemble that rig if you looked around for under $800 and it would do everything you want.
Don't agree with all the opinions here sorry. Check out gilmourish.com

The way I would go about it is get a MIM Strat or American if you can afford it. Then get a clean Fender amp like a Blues Jr. or equivalent. If you don't believe me then check out some photos of him playing small/promotional venues and he's using Fender amps. Gilmour gets his distortion from stomp boxes, not tubes. His HiWatts have a big headroom for clean sound, kinda like how Fender amps are. For delay I'd look into a MXR Carbon Copy.
For which distortion pedal thats subjective, it depends what you're looking for. Don't go for a RAT as they have bad quality now and he only used them for a bit in the 80's and early 90's. Gilmour is all about the fuzz pedal. He's used Fuzz Faces, Big Muffs and now Pete Cornish's fuzz pedal. A good way to go is check out the MXR Classic 108 Fuzz, the owner of Gilmourish has a really good write up as to which pedal would work best. For his flanger he loved the Electric Mistress from EHX.
I wouldn't worry too much about getting the EMG Gilmour pickup set as its expensive and not necessarily needed for his tone. Check out the pickups that are in his Fender Custom Shop black Strat that was released recently if you want to do a pickup change and stay with passives.

Edit:

CJ has the right idea
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
yeah im liking that gilmourish.com its giving me some great idea and im also liking sll the input here, please if you have more please share. this is my current setup here
Attachments:
Better Picture and amp.jpg
lol, bad quality pic, it'd be better off if you just told us what you have.
member 21 of the ug pink floyd fan club
I PWNED VINCENT745 TWICE!!!
SPIDER WATCH
JS30RR
Agile AL3100 Silverburst (w/Entwhistle Dark Stars)
Quote by strat0blaster
You think Line 6 will get a Floyd tone?

Floyd's tone was the polar opposite of a processed sound.....

My Variax 700 and POD XT Live gets some pretty good floyd. check out some of the ones at youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDyvgrU_3JE
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
My Variax 700 and POD XT Live gets some pretty good floyd. check out some of the ones at youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDyvgrU_3JE

I think he was talking amps when he mentioned Line 6, which is why I was surprised. I've got the XT Live also, and it's definitely not bad as far as processors go. I wouldn't use it live, but it's great for recording direct through an interface.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you