I decided I want a big muff, and am trying to decide between getting either the russian, the USA, or the metal muff. Of course I'm going to try them out first, but I was wondering if anyone has some input about any of these pedals and which one would be most suitable for the sound I want.

I want one of these for a heavier grunge sound, think the distorted tones of alice in chains, nirvana's "bleach" album, and gruntruck.

Also, will guitar center let me try out all these pedals if I ask them? Or alternatively if anyone has a guitar showcase around them, what's their policy on trying out pedals?

Thanks
Gear:
'50s National Archtop
Squier Classic Vibe '60s Tele
Squier Affinity Strat
Gibson Melody Maker
Vox AC-15
50s Stella Parlor Acoustic

MOAR FIRST ACT
I was there
well ive owned a metal muff it was garbage now i own the big muff pi russian its ****ing sweet i think u will be please and the big muff usa is **** just ****
Honestly the big muff will take a LOT of work to get your sound dialed in right and even then you may not get the sound you want. I owned a Russian one and it was decent, but the sound was either too muddy or too tinny for me. But thats just one persons opinion, I'd say try it out and be prepared to get the guitar center people annoyed with you. They'll let you try it out but I'd try it out with a guitar that is simalar to your own. Even better, bring your guitar and tell them you want to try the pedal with your instrument. They will let you, but they won't like it.
Native Pride

Better to reign in hell

Member of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join, luthier's only
Member of The Future Embrace, UG's Billy Corgan/Smashing Pumpkins fan club. PM musiclover2399 to join .
Well I'm not there to be friends with the employees, I'm just a paying customer that wants to get the sound I want

Based on reviews though, it seemed a lot of people liked the metal muff a lot, which is why I asked about it as well. Anyways thanks for the help guys, based on youtube videos I like the NYC muff, but I can't wait to go try them out myself haha

Thanks for the input
Gear:
'50s National Archtop
Squier Classic Vibe '60s Tele
Squier Affinity Strat
Gibson Melody Maker
Vox AC-15
50s Stella Parlor Acoustic

MOAR FIRST ACT
I was there
I hope this helps:

I love the Big Muff pedals and decided to make one of every early version and compare them.

1971 Triangle:
Full, thick, creamy fuzz with a big, punchy low end on chords and full, saturated, sustaining, blooming leads. Great balance of tone and has a great sweep of gain from low gain overdrive to full gain, blownout fuzz while still maintaining the clarity of each string.

1972(?) Triangle Version 2:
Very similar to the 1971 Triangle but with less low end.

1973 Ram’s Head:
Has a very overdrive/fuzz tone to it, not as much bass as a triangle, and has a brighter tone. Lower gain settings give you a nice overdrive breakup. Full gain gives you a “cleaner” fuzz. Not as saturated as the Triangle or Violet Ram’s Head.

1975 Violet Ram’s Head:
It has a great balance of low to high and, with the fuzz cranked, has the fullest, sweetest, saturated fuzz tone of all the Muffs. The fuzz sticks to each string. Has the low-end of a Triangle with a lot more fuzz. Low gain gives you a nice fuzzy, overdrive. Full gain gives you a full fuzz tone with nice full leads and thick and punchy chords. This is the Siamese Dream Big Muff and the one David Gilmour used a lot.

1977 Red/Black Big Muff:
Super amounts of fuzz, a bit more mid range, and a great range of fuzz tones. With the fuzz around 9 o’clock you get a great low gain fuzz, at 12 o’clock it has a great rhythm fuzz tone that is really big and full, 3 o’clock gives you a perfect full bodied fuzz tone for leads and rhythm and a good amount of sustain, maxed out the fuzz is this huge, saturated, aggressive, fuzz which has a great amount of sustain for leads and huge blooming low end.

1978(?) Red/Black Big Muff version 2:
Same as the 1977 version but with not as much low end to it.

1990 Civil War Big Muff:
Has a nice low end to it, not as dark as a Triangle Muff, but very full and more mids. Has great crunchy fuzz and a good amount of sustain.

1991(?) Green Russian Big Muff:
Same as the Civil War Muff but not as smooth, a bit more roughness to the tone.

Skreddy Mayo Clone:
Love it!
It is based on the Violet Ram's head and the schematics are almost the same. There are some things changed and it does make a difference.
The Mayo has the balance of low to high with a great sweep of the tone knob and it has that same full, sweet, saturated fuzz tone the Violet has but it has just a bit more fuzz and fullness to it than the Violet and a better saturation of fuzz on the high strings.
Last edited by mattpas at May 22, 2009,
Quote by i like soad
well ive owned a metal muff it was garbage now i own the big muff pi russian its ****ing sweet i think u will be please and the big muff usa is **** just ****

I have the Big muff russian...it sounds really good through a solid state amp.
tone wicker
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Quote by Harvesterofsrrw
tone wicker

I would like to make one with it but I haven't yet.
I have been modifying my own Big Muff version.
Quote by Harvesterofsrrw
tone wicker

Yeah I own it, and I absolutely love it. You have a lot LOT more tonal options with it, and you can still get the classic big muff sound.
All of our days are numbered
I’ve taken some comfort
In knowing the wave has crested
Knowing I don’t have to be an exception
The Metal Muff is probably inappropriate for what you want to do... well, it'd be fine for Alice in Chains-type of work, but not so much for "Bleach".
I'd suggest the Russian Muff; it's a heavier kind of distortion than the NYC Muff, which is fuzzier. The Russian also sounds more aggressive, which I think is what you're looking for. For really heavy metal-ish grunge a la Alice in Chains, maybe you should get an OD to run into your Muff? Just a thought.

EDIT: Also, the GC should let you try them out. I'm not familiar with them, since I live in Canada, but as I understand it, they're a really big chain sort of store, and even the smaller businesses let you try musical instruments.