after a lot of deciding, i think i've settled on this one; lots of bands i like use it, it's versatile (apparently, haha) and i just flat out like the way it sounds.

but, i really don't think i need 100 watts. does anyone know if they make a lower wattage version, or, failing that, know of any amps with VERY similar tone that are in the 50-60 watt range? thanks!
i play noisy hardcore in the vein of coalesce interrupted by lots of isis-esque riffage and ambience, with a healthy dose of screamo dynamics ala funeral diner. it even sounds good sometimes!
yeah, you're not crazy - i'd take one of those too if i could find it, but the jcm is what i've got my heart set on. and i'm looking for a head, although i guess i could get the 2x12 and then use another extension cab. how's the combo sound compared to the head?
i play noisy hardcore in the vein of coalesce interrupted by lots of isis-esque riffage and ambience, with a healthy dose of screamo dynamics ala funeral diner. it even sounds good sometimes!
I prefer the combo to the head honestly. But i THINK, don't take my word for this that there is a 50 watt head. Or at least a way to split the 100 into 50. But maybe that's the 900.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
yeah, i know the 900 has a built in attenuator. and i guess i really didn't just think of buying one for the 800, but price is a factor too; how much does the combo run for used?
acdcrocks: that is exactly what i was thinking...it kinda creeped me out
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
Uh..the 2204?

It's a 50-watt version of the 2203. Check Ebay/Craigslist. I used to see them fairly often, but it seems the original 800's are getting harder to find.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Marshall 2204 :stickpoke

There's a few other things that can give a nice british kick, too, like a Hiwatt Lead 50, Vox AC50CPH, Laney AOR 50, Laney GH50L, Orange Rocker 30, Orange OR50, etc.
Laney AOR 50 Like goolz said is good. the 30 has 6v6 but still sounds nice.

you could also look for a sovtek MIG or maybe a Splawn competition
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
There are both 100w versions and 50w versions of the 800.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
peavey vtm-60!
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
You can get a 50 watt verson of the head i don't think there quite as common but you find them alright.
Quote by Zakk_Lp
You can get a 50 watt verson of the head i don't think there quite as common but you find them alright.

The 50 watters are just as common as the 100 watts.

You can find any era 800 anywhere. They're all over the place
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Bostonrocks
Laney AOR 50 Like goolz said is good. the 30 has 6v6 but still sounds nice.

you could also look for a sovtek MIG or maybe a Splawn competition

^This and what Goolz said.

Splawn Quick Rod has 100w/50w switch and the
Splawn Competition has 50w/25w switch
http://splawnguitars.com/amps08.htm

Also use the link in my sig to find gear.
mmm, those splawns look really nice, if not a little pricey. and it'll be awhile, unfortunately.. went to a guitar store yesterday and kinda unexpectedly put a down payment on a 79' gibson the paul. well, better to start saving now then never!