Hey Guys,

So a fellow UGer pointed me to a used peavey vtm-60 half stack in my area. The amp is like 20 years old and it has needed repairs (some solder joints and the speakers), but after a little research people say that these are good, versatile amps. The store only wants $250 for the amp and 4x12 cabinet. What do you guys think of this deal?

In case you're wondering I play classic/hard rock and I will be using the guitars in my sig.

Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
That's not a bad deal depending on what kind of cab it is and how much it costs to get fixed.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
That's not a bad deal depending on what kind of cab it is and how much it costs to get fixed.

it looks like a matching cab and apparently it "still sounds good"
Well, the matching cab probably isn't a winner given peavey's record with speakers and cabs (although I don't know about their older stuff)
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
$250 is a steal! Do it!

Getting a qualified tech for a maintenance, and possible tube change, should be about $100. I emailed Doug at dougstubes.com for recommendations, and I will be ordering those when I get paid next week.

You can always replaces the speakers. I haven't tried it with my 4x12 Heritage 30's, but on my 4x12 G12T-75's they rule!
great deal. i got my halfstack for $400. the peavey 412ms is better than most peavey cabs. almost identical dimension to my 1960a, and it comes with celestions...can't remember which off the top of my head...
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Quote by al112987
VTM60=poor man's JCM800, pretty good sounding amps.

So I've heard, I heard they were actually made to compete with those...and if this cab has celestions that makes this deal even sweeter.

Thanks for the opinions guys, I'm going to go check it out and possibly snag this in a couple hours.

Quote by Kevin Saale
Well, the matching cab probably isn't a winner given Peavey's record with speakers and cabs (although I don't know about their older stuff)

The old peavey cabs are awesome, they come equipped with Celestion G12k85, now renamed the G12k100. A vtm with a matching cab should have these if its stock. I have one of these cabs and it rocks, every amp I have every played sounds great, everyone always asking how does can the old Peavey cab sound so good.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
The VTM is easily my favourite Peavey. If you get it and can do a clip of an early Soundgarden song (Kim Thayil used VTMs for all of Soundgarden's albums up to Superunknown), I will give you my first daughter's hand in marriage.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Last edited by shadow__666 at Mar 19, 2009,
Quote by shadow__666
The VTM is easily my favourite Peavey. If you get it and can do a clip of an early Soundgarden song (Kim Thayil used VTMs for all of Soundgarden's albums up to Superunknown), I will give you my first daughter's hand in marriage.

i'll learn some Soundgarden for you and record it next time i'm back home and can use my vtm
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Quote by shadow__666

Haha...what an offer, but not only do I have a gf who I love...I didn't get the amp because the tubes were shot and I didn't have the patience to get new tubes to get it in working order...I'm probably just going to wait for a 6505+ combo over the summer unless I find a deal before then.

Thanks guys

Aw shucks. That was a great deal.

Great thing about those VTM's (unless you're aware of this), you can replace the tubes yourself and adjust the Hum Reducer at the back of the amp. No need to bring to a tech.

Btw, can you PM me where this store is? I'll point it to a friend who lives in that area.
Last edited by AiC75 at Mar 20, 2009,
TS, changing tubes isn't that hard and for what you pay even taking it to a tech you'd probably end up saving money over the 6505+ combo anyway.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales