Is there really a large difference in sound when you use a guitar amp with a bass guitar?
"Kill one man, you're a MURDERER. Kill many, and you're a CONQUERER. Kill them all and you're a GOD."
Yes. According to the wiser men and women on this site, guitar amps are designed to reduce the very low frequencies, frequencies that the bass thrives on. Also, the speakers WILL be destroyed by the low tones, if you are using a guitar cab/combo.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
acoustic guitar through a bass amp however,
beautiful.
███████████████████████████████████
No low end, potential damage to product.

I used to use a guitar combo for fun for awhile (it was already "going bad", so I thought I'd at least try it to hear for myself). I think the tone could fit for something, but not under a bunch of guitars.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Emphasis on the "no, dont do that, get a bass amp" observed on other similar threads.
Attendez la creme!
"Harry dear, its an inaminate object"

"YOU'RE AN INANIMATE OBJECT!"
Guitar amps can occasionally be used as part of a bi-amping setup for some pros.

The bass will go through a bass amp (and likely a DI) for the low end and clean sound, and then a bass-cut version of the signal will go through a guitar amp to get a bit of grit in the mids/highs.

I think that Duff McKagan did this with Velvet Revolver.

Outside of large pro rigs though it's pretty damn rare. For most of us mortals it's basically a no-no for reasons listed above.
I think they use guitar heads, rather than guitar speakers. Im speculating a bit, but I think this was first done for the Overdrive channels available on guitar heads. It was certainly only done with large "English-style" rigs, but I think John Paul-Jones used a guitar head, as I think did Lemmy. They certainly werent using combo amps...
Attendez la creme!

^Still not a combo guitar amp however.
Attendez la creme!

^ Indeed, heap praise on thy veracity.
Attendez la creme!

Quote by samskii
Yes. According to the wiser men and women on this site, guitar amps are designed to reduce the very low frequencies, frequencies that the bass thrives on. Also, the speakers WILL be destroyed by the low tones, if you are using a guitar cab/combo.

This man speaks the truth! I also bolded the part that I think is the most important
The speakers will be destroyed by not being able to move enough. Also search bar.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by Captain Insano
No low end, and eventually a farty, distorted explosion sound.

We seriously need to sticky one of these threads...
It seems to happen on a monthly time scale, when we always get someone asking.

Or we should elect someone to just paste the same reply each time.
Quote by fatgoogle
The speakers will be destroyed by not being able to move enough. Also search bar .

I meant to say that part, but it was kinda late, after a long day. An addition to the Bass Forum FAQ really seems to be in order, if I may impose my opinion on the mods of said forum...
I have:

I have, recently in fact. I don't recall a mention of guitar amp/bass problems, but your comment makes me think I am just a fool...

EDIT: Yep, I'm an idiot. Right there, the SECOND thing on the list. I beg forgiveness, and request that the boot not be larger than size 12, I need to wear these pants all day...
I have:

Last edited by samskii at Mar 19, 2009,
Yeah, blimmin'!
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Blimmin' is right. Also, see edit above.
I have: