Is it possible anyone could make a lesson on this? I'm not very good at guitar and it's very confusing to me. I can play the first 10 seconds of the main riff but I don't really get the rest of it and I'm having a hard time. It doesn't really sound right either. Maybe there's some technique I'm missing, maybe I'm going crazy, I don't know. I really need help please.
This isn't really a beginner level piece. I hate to discourage anyone from trying to learn anything, but if your ability level is far enough behind the required level for a song... all it is going to do is frustrate you

That being said, if you are intent on learning this song... what specifically are you having trouble with?
No offense, but perhaps you should lower your ambitions a bit first, if it's really hard for you.

The first main themes of the song doesn't require any special picking techniques except for a percussive slap/flick here and there.

Other than that just listen to the song and keep practicing - I've been thinking of doing a lesson on the song sometime, but I just don't have the time right now :/
I'm having trouble with the timing of the slaps and getting a sound out of the melody loud enough to get over the bass sound. But it's hard to make separate fingers pluck with different loudness >_<. The thing that bugging me most is that it doesn't sound right...I'm following this tab http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/a/andy_mckee/rylynn_tab.htm

Also, what is it Andy is doing when he flicks his index finger out? I don't quite get what he's doing, and it's not a motion I'm familiar with.
Last edited by Missle_Z at Mar 19, 2009,
Quote by Missle_Z
I'm having trouble with the timing of the slaps and getting a sound out of the melody loud enough to get over the bass sound. But it's hard to make separate fingers pluck with different loudness >_<. The thing that bugging me most is that it doesn't sound right...I'm following this tab http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/a/andy_mckee/rylynn_tab.htm

Also, what is it Andy is doing when he flicks his index finger out? I don't quite get what he's doing, and it's not a motion I'm familiar with.

It's basically that he flicks the strings along with making the percussive slap on the bass note. All in one motion. It might feel awkward at first, but just you got to practice it.

The tab you're linking to is the most accurate on this site I'd say. Alternatively try to download the Guitar Pro tab of it, that's pretty good aswell.