im wanting to put thicker strings onto my guitar, but im wondering how high you can go with 12-52s. ive read that you can use 12-52s for standard tuning. how long would they last there with daily playing? i will generally be using drop a-c, but id just like to know how suitable they are for standard.

another thing: ive read that i need to to adjust the tension on my floyd rose. is this still the case if i dont use my floyd rose?
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
that'd thick of string for standard would take awhile to get used. they hurt my fingers when i used them for standard
ADD MY -CORE BAND!
www.myspace.com/efakaz

GEARx
Ibanez RG2EX1
Peavey 5150 II
ISP Decimator

Quote by T Man Prime
Ok everyone, who do you think is the heaviest band? Personally I think As I Lay Dying is the heaviest
how much more easily would they break?
and do i need to adjust the floyd rose?
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
Quote by Bob_Smith

I've used 11-50s before and played a good bit in standard and they held up just fine. I really dont see 12-52s being that big of a problem (as far as breaking is concerned). However, like its already been said, it will take a while for you to get use to the gauge.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
I've used 11-50s before and played a good bit in standard and they held up just fine. I really dont see 12-52s being that big of a problem (as far as breaking is concerned). However, like its already been said, it will take a while for you to get use to the gauge.

i play a fair bit of steel string acoustic and i take classical lessons, so i don think my fingers getting used to the tension will be a huge issue.

but is that the only issue?
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
Quote by Waylanderau
You will still need to adjust your bridge for the extra tention, at the very least you'll have to either tighten your existing springs up a bunch or put in another one. You might need a bit of an action adjustment too.

how would i go about doing that :/ sry, im a total noob
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
Well, if you take off the cover on the back of your guitar you'll see the block of the trem is connected by (usually) 3 springs to a little hook type setup that's attached to the body of your guitar via 2 screws. The more you tighten the screws the more tention. The idea is you put your strings on, tune up to something close to where you want then take a look at your bridge and see how it's sitting. You want it to be flat, sitting parallel to your guitar body. If it's sitting up then tighten up your screws, if it's being pulled down into the cavity then loosen them. Make small adjustments and after each one retune and repeat ad-nausiem until your bridge is sitting flat and you're in tune. That's a really basic run down lol, if that doesn't help try checking out the ultimate FR setup guide thread, the guys there can probably explain it much clearer then me
I've been using 12-56s for a at least over a year now and I haven't come across any problems using standard, as long as you do the standard 1-2 month change then you'll be fine
Quote by RampagingAcorn
my ****ing god if i see another ****ing thread on this **** i will kill a baby
oh my, are you killing your fingers?
If all else fails, you better contact your mother! COME ON!

::type
It's better to use a hybrid gauge. Instead of using 12's use 12's on the heavy strings only. 10's on the light strings.

10-52. They come in a pack like that too in almost every brand. I find it much better.
I use 11-52's in standard, always, never tuned down, because I like that much tension. :P But yeah, you'll be fine doing that I think.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
In standard I use 10-50 hybrids. To me that sounds as heavy as you need it has the tension you need without being over kill. 12's are just to heavy for standard with me. I used to do it though but I discovered going down some actually sounds just as good and feels better.

On drop c I use 10-52 which is what I tune to now. I don't like going any lower than that. To me drop c isn't far from drop d and it sounds a little more melodic and a little more heavier all while still allowing mids to come from the notes and clarity. I could not do the drop B or Drop A thing like some people. It's just to muddy and doesn't sound like guitar.
I use 11-48's and 11-54's in both standard and drop D tuning, and no problem at all with tension or anything. They have a thicker tone but they're still easy to play.
I've tried 12's too and while being noticeably heavier, they were still playable IMO.

Also consider that I'm used to slightly thicker strings; 11-48 is the lightest set I use on my Strat.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Should be fine, I do see you running into problems when you change tunings though. Floating tremolos don't really like it when you change tunings.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
Should be fine, I do see you running into problems when you change tunings though. Floating tremolos don't really like it when you change tunings.

Yeah he'll have to adjust it. One problem he might run into is needing an extra spring. I've ran into that problem a few times. Heavy strings.. some guitars aren't made to handle it and you cannot get the bridge to go down even when you have the screws all the way in. Bringing all the springs to the inside helps some. I block mine anyway so it doesn't matter. If it's not blocked I'm always having tuning problems and it's just a bitch to change strings. I sold most of my floyd's I only have one now and I barely play it. I prefer a fixed bridge but when I do have a floyd I just block it. I'd rather not use the whammy bar anyway it's not worth all the trouble.

They already have better technology out there to use a whammy bar and a locking trem that is much easier than a floyd and works much more efficient. Tons of small companies have better options but for some reason guitar companies keep the old way that's not efficient at all and it's just not that great of a system imo. It might have been in the 80's but we can do better now.
Quote by Bob_Smith

you seem to be worried about string breakage, but they break less easily than lighter strings

btw, it's higly likely you'll need a truss rod adjustment. otherwise, you might **** up the neck.
i have 2 springs in the back atm, will one more be enough?

and yeah i was kinda expecting i needed a truss rod adjustment. seeing that i havent done one before, and im the most knowledgable person on guitars in my immediate area (not really a good thing), would you suggest i go to my guitar shop instead of making the truss rod adjustment myself?
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
Quote by echo_4190
I use 11-52's in standard, always, never tuned down, because I like that much tension. :P But yeah, you'll be fine doing that I think.

we should start a group of reaaaaal men <_<

you certainly will need to adjust the tension if you have a floating bridge, and if your using 9's right now id suggest going up a bit slower, starting out with 10's or 11's then move onto 12's
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
we should start a group of reaaaaal men <_<

you certainly will need to adjust the tension if you have a floating bridge, and if your using 9's right now id suggest going up a bit slower, starting out with 10's or 11's then move onto 12's

is that for my benefit or the guitar's?
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
Quote by Bob_Smith
i have 2 springs in the back atm, will one more be enough?

and yeah i was kinda expecting i needed a truss rod adjustment. seeing that i havent done one before, and im the most knowledgable person on guitars in my immediate area (not really a good thing), would you suggest i go to my guitar shop instead of making the truss rod adjustment myself?

I use all 5 springs.

and yes, i would definitely suggest that. you can seriously damage your neck by doing a wrong/bad truss rod adjustment. I never do it myself either.