I am looking at getting a rhoads guitar, I had my heart set on a Jackson RR3 but I don't want a floyd rose, the RR3 is $1050. So I thought of getting a Jackson JS30RR for $570 then getting a Seymour Duncan JB and '59 to give it the same pups as the RR3 and it will cost about $950 once fully done (with installation). But then it still wouldn't be as awesome as the RR3 so should I just put up with a FR, get it set up when i buy it so I don't need to tune it/adjust bridge or anything or should I get the JS30 and upgrade the pups?
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Hmm that sounds alrite however if you want a better alternative and don't mind buying second hand then why not a 2nd hand RR5. just a suggestion though
There are very few 2nd hand guitars in aus and I cannot buy online, I am lucky if I find a 2nd hand guitar that isn't a vintage fender or isnt a squier/yamaha starter guitar.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Buy the RR3 and save yourself some trouble, block the tremolo if you don't plan on using it (you can always just unblock it if you want to toy around).
Quote by Demonazzz
I prefer barbed wire strings. I find I can get the most br00t41 tonez with it.
Quote by random_B-RAD
I am looking at getting a rhoads guitar, I had my heart set on a Jackson RR3 but I don't want a floyd rose, the RR3 is $1050. So I thought of getting a Jackson JS30RR for $570 then getting a Seymour Duncan JB and '59 to give it the same pups as the RR3 and it will cost about $950 once fully done (with installation). But then it still wouldn't be as awesome as the RR3 so should I just put up with a FR, get it set up when i buy it so I don't need to tune it/adjust bridge or anything or should I get the JS30 and upgrade the pups?

why are you upgrading the pickups when you got a amp that'll make no difference ?
Replace the pickups, but also replace the neck if you can with a DK2 neck. It should work, seeing as they have the same number of frets. Plus, your guitar will play and look so much more badass. Sharkfin inlays + binding? I'm down.

Other than that, there's not much else you can do, besides cosmetic stuff like gold hardware etc.
Quote by bapplebo
Replace the pickups, but also replace the neck if you can with a DK2 neck. It should work, seeing as they have the same number of frets. Plus, your guitar will play and look so much more badass. Sharkfin inlays + binding? I'm down.

Other than that, there's not much else you can do, besides cosmetic stuff like gold hardware etc.

dont buy a new neck... unless you have money to burn

this guy is only interested in cosmetic upgrades... it will not play more 'badass'. it'll take a helluva lot of adjusting and you may have to take it to a lutheir costing even more money
Last I checked upgrading pickups were a tone upgrade, not a cosmetic upgrade. He wants a RR3 with a hardtail body, from what he's saying, but due to our ridiculous prices it's almost impossible to get, save for a 2nd hand RR5.

Pickups are one way to make it awesome, the neck is another way. Play a Squier neck, then play an American Fender neck and tell me there's not a difference. There's also not much adjusting to be done - I swapped the neck on my Squier and it only needed to be re-adjusted once because I'm retarded and screwed it on unevenly.

You ARE right in that it does cost a lot of money, but it is still cheaper than a RR5.
the pickups are a cosmetic upgrade in the sense that he will not get a drastically improved guitar tone from the P/U upgrade
The thing is I will NEVER be able to find a 2nd hand Jackson RR5 without buying online which I can't do unless I can proove to my mum that it will save a lot of money, even then it is likely I could get something over $100.

A new RR5 is $2400.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Last edited by random_B-RAD at Mar 19, 2009,