hi.. i have a samick les paul replica... and i must say i rekn it sounds pretty awesome.. my friend recently destroyed his guitar (accidently) and he said i could have his pickups. Which happen to be seymour duncan alnico IIs..

do u think its worth putting them in my guitar ? or is it just silly to put good pickups in an average guitar ?
when you put good pickups in a ****ty guitar it becomes an awesome guitar
it might not be worth much
but if you have awesome pickups, youre not going to want to sell it
nick_b is currently obsessed with:
Pokemon
Pinch Harmonics
12/8 timing
7/8 timing
Lamb of God
Rise Against
Regina Spektor
Dream Theater
and many others...
Quote by nick_b
when you put good pickups in a ****ty guitar it becomes an awesome guitar
it might not be worth much
but if you have awesome pickups, youre not going to want to sell it

so you're saying if i put alnico II pro's in a cheap agathis guitar it'll be awesome? i'd like to see that...

OP dont listen to this guy, pickups dont make a guitar 'awesome' cause you have to take into account the wood quality as it is an integral factor in a guitar's sustain and resonance..

also, if are totally sure your samick is that great, then go ahead and put em duncans in, be aware that it might butcher your toen as they are LOW output pickups which rely on your RIG. so if you play hi-gain it's gonna be very annoying with all the goddam feedback..
Quote by aerojim
so you're saying if i put alnico II pro's in a cheap agathis guitar it'll be awesome? i'd like to see that...

OP dont listen to this guy, pickups dont make a guitar 'awesome' cause you have to take into account the wood quality as it is an integral factor in a guitar's sustain and resonance..

also, if are totally sure your samick is that great, then go ahead and put em duncans in, be aware that it might butcher your toen as they are LOW output pickups which rely on your RIG. so if you play hi-gain it's gonna be very annoying with all the goddam feedback..

sounds like you need to switch to decaf my angry friend. getting pissy for no reason when all i did was offer my opinion will get you nowhere.
and to be perfectly honest, its his decision in the end, not yours.
so you know. have a nice day
nick_b is currently obsessed with:
Pokemon
Pinch Harmonics
12/8 timing
7/8 timing
Lamb of God
Rise Against
Regina Spektor
Dream Theater
and many others...
Quote by nick_b
sounds like you need to switch to decaf my angry friend. getting pissy for no reason when all i did was offer my opinion will get you nowhere.
and to be perfectly honest, its his decision in the end, not yours.
so you know. have a nice day

hmm you call that pissy? pissy is 'OMFG DONT LISTEN TO THIS FKN ASSSHOL'
get it right. im just saving OP from the false knowledge that is 'good pickups make any ****ty guitar awesome'

good deed of the day ..
^Stop douching up the forums.

Anyway, on topic, if you plan on having this guitar for a while, using it extensively, then sure, it's worth the change of pickups. Also, as someone mentioned before, I don't know what Samick you have, but if the body wood is something like Agathis, then you might want to just hold on to those pickups and save them for a better axe.

Also, the Alnico II's are considered to be low to mid output pickups, so take that into consideration as well. Slash is probably the most well known user of these, and granted, at times he has produced some pretty heavy rock tones, but alot of this depends on your amp. It's a cliche that you need high output pickups to play metal, but with the high gain amps out there today, it's not as necessary as it was in the 70's and 80's to have high output, when amplifiers needed to be pushed more to get into the high gain range. Lamb of God use Duncan 59's (and actually I do too in one of my guitars) and produce very heavy tones. These pickups too are said to be very dependent on the amplifier you are using.

If you think it's worth the switch, then by all means go for it.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
my input is to put the pickups in a better guitar, then take pickups from the better guitar, and put those pickups into the sammick, so you have, jsut for example, like a epiphone les paul with some nice pickups, then a sammick with epiphone pickups, which would sound pretty nice
Aside from the quality issue of the guitar, don't put those Alnico II Pros in. You will probably find it actually sounds worse than the stock pickups.

Alnico II Pro pickups should only be used when you want to preserve the full tone from your amplifier. They don't 'colour' your tone at all so if you've got a really great amp, you'll get a really great tone.
The problem is if you've got a really bad amp, you'll get a really bad tone. If you're got an average amp, you'll get a very average tone, no different than if you kept the generic stock pickups in.

SD Alnico II Pros should only be used if you have a truly great amp, and by that I'm talking about half and full stacks worth in the thousands. If you have some average amp or worse, or if you use lots of pedals in your rig, stay well away from Alnico II Pro pickups.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Lets see...
Free pickups.
Wiring is easy.
No modifications required.
Whats there to even question really? Just try them out, if you don't like them change back.
Seriously, everyone's typed entirely too much in response given the circumstances.