Ok, so I have EMG's in my explorer 81/89. And I was wondering if there was a way I could remove the tone pot? I always leave my Tone at 10 so I have no use for it really and I could just put something else (EMG AB, killswitch) in it's place. So is it possible to wire it up to where it doesn't have the tone knob?
im pretty sure if you take the tone pot out it will stay at 0. You should at least leave the pot on 10 in the cavity and put something else in the tone pot hole
Hm, well there's definitely not enough room in my cavity to do that, with all the wires and the battery in there I already have trouble putting the cover on. If it's not possible or if it'll leave the tone at 0 I won't worry about it, but I've read in other places leaving the tone pot off just leaves it at 10.
Quote by Beebo
Ok, so I have EMG's in my explorer 81/89. And I was wondering if there was a way I could remove the tone pot? I always leave my Tone at 10 so I have no use for it really and I could just put something else (EMG AB, killswitch) in it's place. So is it possible to wire it up to where it doesn't have the tone knob?
yes. a tone control is not necessary. just omit it.

Quote by guitarcam123
im pretty sure if you take the tone pot out it will stay at 0. You should at least leave the pot on 10 in the cavity and put something else in the tone pot hole
that's backward, Cam. The tone will be at "11" without the control. Just slightly brighter than with the control an 10 (no treble cut).
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
well i knew it wasn't at 10

these go to 11
Last edited by guitarcam123 at Mar 19, 2009,
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
yes. a tone control is not necessary. just omit it.

that's backward, Cam. The tone will be at "11" without the control. Just slightly brighter than with the control an 10 (no treble cut).

OK, well all the wires that are going to the tone pot from the volumes/input jack, where should I wire them too, and also, if I wanted to wire it with just one volume and no tone, would I just wire everything to just the one volume?
Quote by Beebo
OK, well all the wires that are going to the tone pot from the volumes/input jack, where should I wire them too, and also, if I wanted to wire it with just one volume and no tone, would I just wire everything to just the one volume?
any ground wires going to the tone pot need to be grounded elsewhere, like at the case of the volume control. If the there is more than 1 hot wire going to the tone pot, those need to be connected to the input of the volume control.

post a diagram of your present wiring and we can be specific.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Eh, well I don't know quite how to make a wiring diagram and I had a friend wire mine as opposed to a professional to save money, so it doesn't match up with any of the diagrams on the EMG official site. But after looking at everything for a few minutes and some diagrams on the site I understand what I need to do, mostly I just needed to make sure that with EMG's it was ok to not have a tone switch. I wasn't sure that the fact they were active would matter. But I appreciate all the advice you gave me =D
k, koo.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411