Which two scales could I play over the following chords?

D:

---2---
---3---
---2---
---0---
---x---
---x---

this:

---3---
---4---
---3---
---0---
---x---
---x---

this:

---5---
---6---
---5---
---0---
---x---
---x---

and this:

---7---
---8---
---7---
---0---
---x---
---x---

Thank you!
D, Eb/D, F/D and G/D? I have no clue....

You're probably safest just arpeggiating the chords....
Since that chord progression has no key center, there is no one scale (at least that I know of) you can use over it, but you could use a different scale over each chord.

Over the first one, you could use the D Major scale.
Over the second one (a Eb/D chord), you could use the D Locrian mode (Eb Major with D acting as the root).
Over the third one (a F/D chord), you could use the D Minor scale.
Finally over the fourth one (a G/D chord), you could use the D Major scale again.

However, unless you really like the sound of those scales over these chords, I would recommend changing the chords to match a key center and then try to find a scale to play them. Also, you could wait and see if someone else knows of an odd scale that will fit over these chords.
Something tells me me he has no idea what you both said.

Do what zhilla said, in lamen's terms:
Use the same notes that you're playing as a chord to create your melody; it's probably you're best bet..

But if you REALLY want scales - do this:

Dmaj: D Major
Ebmaj: Bb Major (Eb Lydian)
Fmaj:Bb Major (F Mixolydian)
Gmaj: D Major (G Lydian)

I gave you the modes in case you're curious enough to investigate.

On modes: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=997405 - It might be over your head but sometimes it's nice to get some new concepts circulating in your head to come back to when some time passes and you begin you wrap your head around those ideas.

As you loop it through after the first measure you'll wind up playing 2 measures of D Major and 2 measures of Bb Major sequentially.
Last edited by moonlightdrive at Mar 19, 2009,
you could also use D phrygian dominant over the first 3 chords and D major on the last chord