I remember seeing a thread about this before but I can't find it...so I'm making a new one.
I have a ****ty Starcaster that I wanna make into a showcase guitar, and I wanna get rid of half the pickguard and fill in the channels between the pickup cavities. I'm also gonna fill the hole where the output jack is (I'm gonna shift it to the bottom).
So now I'm wondering if using that much wood filler might negatively affect the tone. Does anyone know?
I doubt you'll notice the difference.

Dont fill the cavities entirely with wood filler, cut a block of hardwood to fit that cavity as accurately as possible, glue that in and then fill the remainder of the space with wood filler and sand smooth.

Are you re finishing the guitar? Kinda a must if you are doing that much filling.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
i have one and you shouldn't do that, its a cheap guitar it not worth it
just save for a new one altogether
I don't know if it'll affect your tone, but will definitely affect sustain and weight. Why not just build a body/buy a pre-routed one and use that? Then you have quite a bit less filler and more wood
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Wood filler wont do well filling huge holes. Something like the pickup routing sometimes its easier to route it to swimming pool style then 1 big piece of wood to fill it then route for the pickups.
use bondo its for car repair
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
Quote by Absent Mind
I doubt you'll notice the difference.

Dont fill the cavities entirely with wood filler, cut a block of hardwood to fit that cavity as accurately as possible, glue that in and then fill the remainder of the space with wood filler and sand smooth.

Are you re finishing the guitar? Kinda a must if you are doing that much filling.

Thanks all, I'm gonna do this ^^^
And yea, i'm gonna refinish it. I'm making up a crazy design for it XD

i have one and you shouldn't do that, its a cheap guitar it not worth it
just save for a new one altogether

Thats the reason I'm doing it. It sounds like ****, I might as well make it look good.
Quote by NGMF-Sam
use bondo its for car repair

i had better experience with bondo than wood filler. Then again, it could be the brand of wood filler i was using.
Ibanez RGT42DXFX with emg 81/85
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass
does bondo swell under lacquer???

I put this ? in the refinishing thread and no one replied,
bondo should work

just make sure you sand it smooth its made for painting and refinishing
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.