Do singers from bands take singing lessons??

and does anybody know if some of these bands have taken singin lessons or maybe they just learned singing by themselves??

Here are those bands - sum41, blink 182, good charlotte, avenged sevenfold, bullet for my valentine , guns n roses and other bands (alternative)...
well the singer in slipknot took/is taking lessons because he almost screamed the throat thing to pieces.
Quote by Lars
Hey guys. What is this new amp we got today? it says M... Ma... Mars something. Marshall!!!
i think it says MG here on a little note too
Quote by Kirk

Quote by James
RUN LARS!!!

lulz
Often the record company assigns vocal coaches if needed.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
I think most professional lead singers have voice coaches, to help them not 'blow out' their voices, so to be able to continue singing on say, a long tour. But I also think that singing is a natural thing; you're either good at it, or you're not.

And I'm not
singing is an instrument and as an instrument it can be taught, but some obviously have that natural ability to belt out a good sound

but you will find most singers in bands have had lesson and probably still undertake lessons
Quote by scream92
Do singers from bands take singing lessons??

and does anybody know if some of these bands have taken singin lessons or maybe they just learned singing by themselves??

Here are those bands - sum41, blink 182, good charlotte, avenged sevenfold, bullet for my valentine , guns n roses and other bands (alternative)...

I know for a fact that guns n roses and avenged sevenfold had singing lessons because they have the same vocal coach. as for the other ones Idk.
Quote by Argonaut
^ Wrong Kensai.

Quote by Sean-Man
I may be a Narcissist, But im the Best Narcissist
Quote by Mazzakazza
But I also think that singing is a natural thing; you're either good at it, or you're not.

Great vocal tone is a natural thing, yes, but it's certainly possible to teach most people to at least sing in pitch and breath correctly.

(The above may be utter rubbish, as said info comes from an ex-girlfriend whose views I trust about as much as a booklet by Gordon Brown on how to run an economy)
Oh, now I've gone and spilled my tea. This really won't do at all.
They (most if not all of them) learned to sing by themselves, by doing it alot, opening up, breaking down the mental barrier we have of being scared to make noises. When we were babies we could all scream like hell. Anyone can learn to sing; one of the best ways is probably just to sing along to yoru favourite music turned up very loud or by singing with an acoustic guitar.

That said, when the touring got heavy all of them probably got the aforementioned vocal coaches to make sure the voice doesn't get all screwed up by the intense use.

Also, why is this in the guitar forum?
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by CarpUK
Great vocal tone is a natural thing, yes, but it's certainly possible to teach most people to at least sing in pitch and breath correctly.

(The above may be utter rubbish, as said info comes from an ex-girlfriend whose views I trust about as much as a booklet by Gordon Brown on how to run an economy)

I'm pretty sure it would be impossible to teach me to do both of those Can't hit a note right. :p

Still, exception that proves the rule?
Well Axl Rose never had singing lessons persay but he went to church and sang in a choir as a kid so that kinda helped his normal singing voice but his falsetto his just something he can do naturally, The singer from A7X basicly destroyed his vocal cords till a doctor told him that he would lose his voice if continued to scream the way he was and then he learned how to actually sing.
i dont know why this is in a guitar forum i just didnt know where to post this question

so do you think a good way to learn to sing is just by singing to your favourite artists and singing with an acoustic guitar??

and how often should i practice singing??

i play guitar for like a 1 year and 4 months and i want to learn to sing...
I just started singing this year and i'm already descent (not good) i recomend just sing too music turned up not to loud cause then you can't hear yourself very well try some regular songs not crazy screamo **** off the bat thats how you wreck you throat not a good idea. And you should practise whenever you can but , i usually practise one a day everyday to keep in check .
Last edited by whatafung at Mar 19, 2009,
Hetfield has taken singing lessons for many years.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by whatafung
Well Axl Rose never had singing lessons persay but he went to church and sang in a choir as a kid so that kinda helped his normal singing voice but his falsetto his just something he can do naturally, The singer from A7X basicly destroyed his vocal cords till a doctor told him that he would lose his voice if continued to scream the way he was and then he learned how to actually sing.

nope ^. Axl Rose and M. Shadows had vocal coaches. Perhaps Axl already knew how to sing but he did have lessons. When M. Shadows (Avenged Sevenfold) injured his voice, he got Axl Rose's old vocal coach to teach him how to sing/scream again. Thats why M. Shadows sounds so much like Axl Rose on Bat Country.

M shadows and I pretty much had the same injury I believe. It sucked bawlz! They shove a camera up your nose and channel it from your nasal passage, down your throat, all the way down to your vocal chords. I threw up during the procedure. I tell you sir it was not fun
Quote by Argonaut
^ Wrong Kensai.

Quote by Sean-Man
I may be a Narcissist, But im the Best Narcissist
Last edited by dxpaintball8000 at Mar 19, 2009,
Quote by Mazzakazza
I'm pretty sure it would be impossible to teach me to do both of those Can't hit a note right. :p

Still, exception that proves the rule?

most vocal coaches will say that anyone can learn to sing.
Quote by toyboxmonster
most vocal coaches will say that anyone can learn to sing.

If they told you that you can't sing, they wouldn't get any money.
Most really good singers have really good vocal coaches, especially if they are a big commercial success. It's just not very "rock 'n roll" to admit it. It is admitted more in the country world.
Most extreme metal bands have had singing lessons. To learn to breathe 'properly'.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Randy Blythe gets lessons for his screams and growls.
They work, he sounds amazing on Wrath.
Quote by fishermanbob
Randy Blythe gets lessons for his screams and growls.
They work, he sounds amazing on Wrath.

It's just cheap fry screaming..
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Depends on the style of singing and the style of music.

And whether they need singing lessons to sound better or vocal coaching to help preserve their voice.
***Short Sig***
Like guitarists, some do some don't. Hetfield has, Patrick Stump hasn't had one a day in his life. I know Fall Out Boy takes a lot of crap on here, but not for the singing. You listen to From Under The Cork Tree and tell me that boy doesn't have a nice voice.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60