I'm selling one of my guitars on craigslist. A guy emailed me and asked if the guitar was still for sale, which it was. I replied to his email, and he then emailed me back this message:

"Thanks for your reply, i will like to know its working condition and i will also need some picture of it. I can pay you right now with a Certified Check because I won't be able to come look at it,due my short notice travelling job, I had to leave town and will be back in a week or two so i'll forward your details to my Customer who i'm making purchase in his regards to make the payment payable to you in order not to delay. I wil need your your contact info. ( full name and address)with phone number to proceed with payment. The check will be sent via UPS/FEDEX next day delivery. I will arrange for pick up as soon as the check clears at your bank."

Does this sound like a scam to you?

I replied to the guy and said I had no problem waiting for him to come get the guitar in a few weeks and pay cash for it.

What do you guys think?
Homemade Strat
ESP EC1000
ESP MH 400 w/ Original Floyd Rose
Epi Les Paul Custom
Line6 Flextone
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
Furman Power Cond.
DOD rack EQ
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Boss FL2 Flanger
Line6 Tremelo
Line6 Echo Park
Just don't let go of the guitar til the cheque clears and the funds are in your bank. He can't cancel the cheque once its cleared, so there shouldn't be a problem. If you're still worried, check with your bank.
Well, I mean, certified checks are as good as cash. But the fact that his grammar is wrong sets me back. Also in the US Cheque is spelled check haha. But that is beside the point
Homemade Strat
ESP EC1000
Epi Les Paul Custom
Line6 Flextone
Furman Power Cond.
DOD rack EQ
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Boss FL2 Flanger
Line6 Tremelo
Line6 Echo Park
It is a scam, I've had very similar emails. There are warnings about these on Craig's lists help page.

Not sure how this works though, he sends you a cheque and you cash it? Hmm
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster
Silvertone 1448L
TC Electronic Polytune
Fender Blues Jr.
More in profile...
I find the fact he's forwarding himself as some form of middle man a bit strange too.

Quote by PedroLesPaulVM
It is a scam, I've had very similar emails. There are warnings about these on Craig's lists help page.

Not sure how this works though, he sends you a cheque and you cash it? Hmm

I've read about this before, it's often a cheque using stolen details and the money goes into your account only to be taken back once the crime has been discovered. Leaving you without the money or the item.
Last edited by JackalUK at Mar 19, 2009,
Quote by reservedforchoi
Well, I mean, certified checks are as good as cash. But the fact that his grammar is wrong sets me back. Also in the US Cheque is spelled check haha. But that is beside the point

My bad
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

ITS A SCAM the check can clear, buut you're liable for the funds. read the craigslist avoid article. if its not cash in your hands, its not real enough on craigslist.
Main Gear List:
Guitars:
Jackson RR7
Agile AL-3100 Double Bound
1977 Fender Jazz Bass
Amp:
Blackstar HT-5
peavey bass amp
Effects:
EHX Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Danelectro 7-band EQ
Thanks everybody. I'm glad I didn't fall for it! I don't know what I'd do without the pit haha
Homemade Strat
ESP EC1000
Epi Les Paul Custom
Line6 Flextone
Furman Power Cond.
DOD rack EQ
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Boss FL2 Flanger
Line6 Tremelo
Line6 Echo Park
This is a scam. Something similar happened to me while trying to rent a room earlier this year. The person will offer a check for way more money than you ask for, then they will ask you to send them the extra cash back in the mail. They will actually give you a fake check, most banks will catch this right away but i would just forget about that guy if i were you.
have him pay paypal or cash only.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Yes it is a scam. I ran into the same kind of person more than once selling on Craigslist, thankfully I check this http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams before I actually got scammed.
Neverender:SSTB 4/19

Goddamn this cursed iron fist. When I lose control!

[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']You, sir, win epically.
Ha I got a similiar e-mail a guy was going to send me checks and then arrange some shipping company I had never heard of to ship the guitar to Benin a country in Africa. I figured it was a scam so I didn't do it.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Don't send the item until you get your cash in your hands. I think that's what he's talking about too. Then why worry?
don't don't don'y.

move on, you'll find someone else to sell this guitar to.
*stupid 09'er*

this space is for rent. PM me for rates
even if its not a scam, sounds like a hassle.

i only do trades on craigslist CASH ONLY

someone wanted me to send a laptop to africa once.. for triple the value of the laptop.. *shrugs*
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
I know the picture has nothing to do with it but the caption says it all.

Best of luck to ya with that.
Last edited by metalderek at Mar 19, 2009,