Page 1 of 4
as any guitarist will tell you, you can never play Stairway to Heaven at a music store.

what is our Stairway? what is always played by the bassist when he comes in to play?

What drives the manager nuts?

I think that Higher Ground is very, very annoying after a while. but Sunshine of Your Love gets a little more play, but usually quieter than the Higher Ground crowd. and it doesn't get butchered as often.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I dunno. I only shop at the Great House of Guitars in Rochester and I'm usually the only bass player in there at a given time. Out of those two I'd have to say Sunshine Of Your Love. I'm tired of that song.
GAS List:
Nothing
sunshine of your love or are you gonna be my girl

and that tune off of the bell commercial,my bassist always plays it

seven nation army?
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Quote by bombsquadjunky
Seven Nation Army I think would be one.

We have a winner.
Seven Nation Army.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
umm,i posted 2 mins before him,why arent i the winner?
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
the manager of my local store banned me from playing Jeremy.

I'd say Higher Ground, Can't Stop, and For Whom The Bell Tolls seems to be ranked quite high by said manager.

I'd agree that Higher Ground is definately the stairway of the bass world.

Quote by bombsquadjunky
Seven Nation Army I think would be one.

Seven Nation Army is the Smoke on the Water of the bass world, not the Stairway.
Killing in the name, evrey ****ing bassiest and their ponyies can play it.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I for one have never heard anyone play Sunshine of Your Love at a music store.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by nowa90
umm,i posted 2 mins before him,why arent i the winner?

Because I didn't read your post well enough. Unfortunately the judge's decision cannot be overturned after the fact.

Better luck next year.
Dazed and Confused and Enter Sandman are what assaults my ears in the store bass corner.
Attendez la creme!
"Harry dear, its an inaminate object"

"YOU'RE AN INANIMATE OBJECT!"
I like dazed in confused,
but ill have to say most people in music shops playing in bass, are just pressing random frets and hoping for the best.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
Killing in the name, evrey ****ing bassiest and their ponyies can play it.

KITN is in Drop D, so unless every bassist is going to tune down the bass in store, no.
^ It's not like it's difficult...5 seconds to tune down, 5 more to put it back.
Nope, no sig here.
^doesnt stop them playing it in Standard...

Quote by fatgoogle
I like dazed in confused,

Never said it was a bad song at all, but the chromatic riff is very beginner-friendly.
Attendez la creme!
"Harry dear, its an inaminate object"

"YOU'RE AN INANIMATE OBJECT!"
Ah, I remember at Steve's in Toronto, some Asian kid playing FWTBT on guitar... AND THE BASS FILLS ON GUITAR TOO. Echhh. And he was about 5 years old.

What do you play to piss the manager off?

Loudly, that's what.

Actually being able to hear the bass breaks the concentrations of the guitar players, which is bad for sales. Play whatever you want as long as you can't hear it - that's the motto of the bass section of a guitar store.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by 2112pk
just to be diferent i'm going to say wrathchid

Wrathchild is epic as hell
Schism, maybe.

However, Donna Lee seems to be the standard for the best bassists looking to show off. The Eruption of bass, maybe?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
If that's how someone is playing the bassline to smoke on the water, they're doing it wrong.

Yah think?

Yet we hear it done all the time.
Slap bass licks. Every time I go to the GC in San Jose its a bunch of guys slapping their little hearts out in the bass guitar section.
I still hate music shops, evrey time you go in, the other players are always trying to out do you for some reason, it just ruins trying an instrument out.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
I still hate music shops, evrey time you go in, the other players are always trying to out do you for some reason, it just ruins trying an instrument out.

I normally can't play in a store, even when there's next to no-one there.

Onstage in front of a few hundred people- fine
In the street- fine
St home- fine
In a store- It's like the strings are made of our kryptonite
A butchered v. of N.I.B.....I have also heard some really s***** slap ' pop. I don't play slap ' pop myself because I think that Geddy Lee and Chris Squire are Bass Gods. Mostly I play w/pick. when i go and play guitars (bass), I play alot of jazz, bebop scales, some blues lines, and alot of me own signature stuff. Down here in Houston, Texas; you will see alot of different peeps come into the guitar center bass corner, I've seen and heard some african-american guys dressed like thugs who play Bass; quite well and sh****, and they play for local hip-hop, urban "rappers", i have seen and heard some latinos dressed in western wear play tejano music, some of it quite well, and some of it poorly. O' btw the sales rep at the Houston g.c. claims that his store is #2 in the nation in sales....i would love to know if he was full of himself, just plain stupid or correct.

yea, i was in Houston's Westheimer GC, and every guy in the bass corner was really loud, a pet peeve of mine.....turn down, and respect
<Insert Witty Comment Here>

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS
Last edited by loinmute at Mar 19, 2009,
Quote by fatgoogle

I avoid music stores during peak times for this reason. I go to try new gear and generally I am looking for a sound so I don't always play "music".

People, especially the younger ones, always look at me like I am from another planet. The staff know me so they tolerate it and realize that I buy a lot more than average person in their store.
Slapping, lots of slapping. For some reason bass players feel the need to show that they can slap. I like the RHCP, but Flea should be punished for inspiring a million people to suck at slap bass.

If its a particular song it always seems to be 'Cant Stop'. How ironic that they cant actually stop...
I hear Money wayyy too much actually i was there the other day swear the same person played it 4 times
Quote by anarkee
Slap bass licks. Every time I go to the GC in San Jose its a bunch of guys slapping their little hearts out in the bass guitar section.

Guilty!! But in my case, I changed some little kids life...was in one of my local music stores, and trying out a nice ibanez, I decide as usual to apply my slap bass test, that is I jam out Tommy the Cat,and if it sounds good then I'll start seriously thinking about buying whatever bass Im holding...Anywyas,this kid was probably about 7/8, and was trying to decide between guitar and bass as an instrument to learn, then I start a slappin' and a poppin' and a strummin' and such like, and the kid just watches/listens with his mouth wiiiiiide open...and decides to go for bass!!

Made me happy...but yes, Im on of those annoying slappers...sorry guys
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by Captain Insano
My vote goes to Longview.

Ya, me too, I play that almost every time i go to a music store.
My Gear:

Epiphone Limited Edition '66 G-400 SG
Fender Standard P Bass
Ampeg BA115
Boss Metal Zone Pedal
Electro-Harmonix Memory Toy Analog Delay
I've never been in the store while another bass player was playing
I vote for Seven Nation Army btw.
urgh i sat down in the guitar amp keyboard centre a few weeks ago and started playing, this guy comes in picks up an ibanez and turns up the ampeg stack sitting in the corner really loud, i mean like stupidly, it was horrible his playing was awful. the shop assistant was dead nice and gave me headphones so i could hear myself instead of that ****. (i think he was thinking the same as me)

the guy played for like an hour then just unplugged put the bass on the wall and left...

im not even sure what he was playing it was just dirty noise.
Page 1 of 4