Basically I've just been playing around and I wrote this:

d--------------------------------12-|-10p9----------------------10p9-------|
a--------------------------9--------|------9------------10-9-12------9-----|
f-----------10p9--9h10--10----10----|--------10-9h10--7----------------10--|
c-------7h9-------------------------|--------------------------------------|
g---7p0-----------------------------|--------------------------------------|
c-----------------------------------|--------------------------------------|

So I decided to look at what scales this fits into so I could decide what chords to try as a backing track. My theory knowledge is pretty basic, but it looks to me as if it would fit into the G major scale or one of it's modes (I guess depending on what chords I decided on) However G major is G, A, B, C, D, E, F#, G and in this case I use Eb instead of E.

Now to my questions: Would the Eb just be classed as an accidental? Or, because it is used quite a few times, am I looking at a different scale? If it is just an accidental, how will that effect the chords I use as backing?

To be honest; I think I am probably overthinking this and it is an accidental, but I would like to know.
Quote by UNIe
It's rather pointless to guess what scale it should be with how many accidentals, because it depends on what you want to hear. It could be G major with an accidental b6, it could be G harmonic minor with a natural 3. And so on and so on...

That's an interesting point, I didn't think to look at harmonic minor. I guess I can see what you are saying.
It could be alot of things. Telling us whats going on underneath it in terms of harmony will allow us to answer your question.
Quote by griffRG7321
It could be alot of things. Telling us whats going on underneath it in terms of harmony will allow us to answer your question.

Ha, well that is all there is at the moment. I'm gonna play around with it and put something underneath it. I just wanted to understand how accidentals can work over a chord progression.
Quote by griffRG7321

I don't think he has written a harmony section yet. You could experiment with chords and see what kind of feeling it creates. Change certain chords respectively to create different moods.