I want a good Carlos Santana sound, but i don't really know where to even start. I think he has a low tone, a soft fuzz/easy distortion, and maybe an EQ that favors his bass. But i really don't know how to get the sound im looking for. I've tried to just experiment and figure it out but i can't get it.

Any ideas on what i could try to get the Santana sound im looking for?
I tried to get his sound out of splitted Humbuckers and a small multieffect some days ago. So not the best chances to get it. I added a compressor and a bit room sound, furthermore a warm distortion with trebles. I used the bridge pickup, but put out the "open sound", that should be counterproductive, but it worked better.
After all I wasn´t satisfied with the distortion, but the Fuzz I had sounded awful. Probably you just need more expensive equipment than I had. But I´d still use a compressor and something like room or echo....
Well i get a quite convincing black magic woman tone out of my LP + Boss OS-2 (level to liking, tone all the way down, drive at 10 o'clock and color at noon) and a clean amp

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Boost your mids and buy a compressor.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
More mids + bass, neck pup, compressor and slight fuzz through a clean amp should be alright.
Quote by smitty131
I want a good Carlos Santana sound, but i don't really know where to even start. I think he has a low tone, a soft fuzz/easy distortion, and maybe an EQ that favors his bass. But i really don't know how to get the sound im looking for. I've tried to just experiment and figure it out but i can't get it.

Any ideas on what i could try to get the Santana sound im looking for?

Mid gain, humbucker pickups, neck pickup, roll off your tone a bit and play like Santana.

As long as your phrasing is like his most people will think you sound like him.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Hot PAF style humbuckers, warm tube amp overdrive, not that much gain.

Tone rolled off some.

Bridge P/U for his slightly crunchier tone (Black Magic Woman esque)
Neck for some Smooth-er tones - sorry, that was such a bad pun....

Also, phrasing. Often Dorian/Minor and Major pentatonics...

And just make sure you play with as much feeling as you can!
Adam
He uses a ibanez ts-9 matched with a usa prs it gets his sound really well and that was messing about in the shop
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
Quote by nav00
He uses a ibanez ts-9 matched with a usa prs it gets his sound really well and that was messing about in the shop

What pups, effects and amp do you think he is using?
he uses his own signature PRS humbuckers i do know that but hes been knows to use gibbo burstbuckers on odd occassions

heres one examle of his pups
http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/1369-prs_santana_treble_zebra_nickel_pickup

He uses marshalls and fenders mostly i do know he uses a marshall vintage modern with a 1960's cab with greenbacks, and i know hes been knows to use Fender Supersonic Amps

erm effects wise ive not much of a clue bar crybaby wahs and ts-9's. i do know the ts-9 does contribute a great deal to his sound though as he swtches through it a number of times live
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Parker Nitefly M
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
Of course, in the early days he used a Yamaha SG.........
Fender Roadhouse Deluxe Strat
Vintage Acoustic
Home-made 18 Watt all valve Marshall clone
Talent: zero (but trying)
Quote by deadgroovy
Of course, in the early days he used a Yamaha SG.........

still does on the odd occasion but i guess he is abit of a hardcore PRS endorsee these days but i do know he has afew les pauls, and strats and in some youtube vids a tele
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Parker Nitefly M
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
There is a Santana Custom Paul Reed Smith Guitar. I don't know the price but you might want to look into it.
yeah the PRS USA customs and artist customs are so over priced its stupid as they try to compete with gibson on everything and the build quality is excellent dont get me wrong but it just isnt worth the price tag example is the dave navarro sig which is just a bog standard mccarthy with swapped out or rewould pups
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Parker Nitefly M
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
how i get the Santana tone is a Creation Audio Labs Hoily Fire into a Fender Supersonic Amp

On the pedal Gain Most of the way up And the tone @ 10 O clock..for more of a Fuzzish tone and im playing thru my bridge pickup with the tone halfway down
That's nice for you dude but this thread is almost a year old, pretty sure the thread starter isn't too bothered now...
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.