Page 1 of 2
What would be a great amp to get for around $200 USD or so. I want it to play metal/punk/core but also play really nice cleans/blues-fuzz/and alt-indie stuff. I have an Ibanez and am most likely getting a MIM tele. I want to utilize all that i can betwen the two plus a nice amp. Thanks in advance
Save up. Theres not really any nice amps for 200 bucks. I mean I guess you can get you an okay practice amp. Save up another 100 atleast. 299 you can get a 75 watt vypyr which is a pretty decent practice amp.
75 watts is alot. i dont need that much. this is for home use. i just play for myself and need n amp for practice. the 75 watt vyper is an overkill
Quote by ryanfit4battle
75 watts is alot. i dont need that much. this is for home use. i just play for myself and need n amp for practice. the 75 watt vyper is an overkill

Not really. 75 watt solid state amps can go very low but still have headroom. I have a 60 watt tube version of it. Which is much much louder than the 75 watter. But I play it at very low volumes and it has much better tone than the smaller ones. Get atleast the 30 watt. The 15 watt doesn't have as many features and the speaker sucks. But wattage isn't always volume.
if this is totally for practice then a smaller peavey vypyr would work fine for you.
save up a little more and you could probably afford a decent tube amp.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Well if the 75 watt ss is to much for him then I doubt he's going to need a tube amp. Even low wattage tube amps are much louder than most solid state amps even in the 75 watt range.

I'd say go for the vypyr 30 watt.
why are you getting a tele for metal?
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
why are you getting a tele for metal?

Because he has a Ibanez and is adding the tele for versatility

And my vote is for the Vypyr as well... +1 to hcsn2008
thank you IbanezPsycho. I wnat the tele so i can play things outside of metal. I want to broaden my horizons and play all sorts of stuff. Thats why i need to get an amp that covers all the things i listed above
Consider a Roland Cube 30/Microcube as well. Don't bother with the Cube 15 or 20 because they don't have all the features of the other two.

If you only plan to ever play in your room the Microcube could be perfect for you.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
ive played the microcube and was impressed with it. that hcsn guy was all about getting 75 watts. hahahaha i havent played the cube 30, ive heard good things tho. i played the vox valvtronix vt15 and really enjoyed that i can get a vt30 for $180. any bad on those?
The Valvetronixes are also good amps. I would say they're better for blues/rock/classic metal though, you want to play modern metal and metalcore so the Cube is probably better for you. I don't personally think much of the Vypyr, but most people love them.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I started on a Cube30. I wish I still had it too; it's a great amp for just messing around on in the bedroom.

I also played a VT30 the other day using an Ibanez RG770DX reissue. It was also really good to mess around with.

Both would be good in the bedroom. Probably the same story with that 30W Peavey Vypyr. 30W SS is a good place to be when you wanna jam without annoying people :P
Quote by mxrider117
you should buy a crate ss amp. they are real good "if you are def."

Newer Crate SS amps suck, so I'm assuming you're being sarcastic.
Quote by Cathbard
i never said i wanted to play metalcore or modern metal. i just meant i have the ibanez for heavy stuff as in metal/core/and ounk. anyway another problem is im gonna be living in an apratment soon and cant really rip out too loud or they will get mad and i lose the roof over my head. i do want to move outta the bedroom and maybe intoa garge with some people or a stage somewhere but not now.
Well, for now I'd still suggest the Cube because it can do everything. So can the Vox, but the Cube is probably a touch better as an all-round amp.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by shadow__666
Newer Crate SS amps suck, so I'm assuming you're being sarcastic.

yes I use to have a crate fxt 120. it was crap. the only thing it was good for was a paper weight and collecting dust.
so no crate ss got it. but any other advice on amps that are good. ive heard some good about the epi valve jr but only with pedals
I'm not too fond of the Valve Jr, but you might like it. It's supposed to be a great platform for modding as well.
Quote by Cathbard
Not on its own, no. With a pedal, yes and they like pedals a lot.

On it's own, the VJ really only has one sound; a rather thin British crunch tone which is good for AC/DC type hard rock.
Quote by Cathbard
thats what i hear. i hear they play pedals well but are thin alone. i guess thats not really good huh?
I'm a pedal freak, so were it clean like the Champ 600 I'd probably love it.

But no small tube amp will do metal on its own.
Quote by Cathbard
i know that no small tube will do metal on it own. no good clen on its own? ive played the new and old versions of the valvetronix both 15vt. the newer is better. im messiing with the sites sample sounds and stuff and it seems like its a good amp. a lot of people say that it doesnt metal and heavy distortion well and also doesnt sound good with pedals. thats kinda sucky
ok what about the Blackheart Little Giant with the 5 watt head and smaller cab? can it play metal? how does it handle pedals such as the boss metal core and a crybaby orignal?
Sticking to within your budget you can get a Fender FM25DSP ,Vox VT15 ,Peavy Viper 30W and a Line 6 SpiderIII 30W. There are others but these are all modeling and give you different sounds and effects without having to resort to pedals and all are plenty loud enough for home use.
If you can save up just a bit more you have the Roland 30x Cube and the Vox AD 30 ,look around for the AD30VT if you can find one. Don't forget pawn shops if you have them in your area, I picked up my Vox AD30VT for $125 and seen some good deals on alot of amps if I had wanted to go to a bigger one.
Don't let people bad mouth any of the above, you have to go play and listen to them for yourself. Most people have a tin ear so you have to decide for yourself and alot about reliability is a bunch of b.s. coming from those that throw,kick thier amps around and rip cords out by the wire.
i found a the Vox Vt30 for $180 used. I think there was a Roland Cube 30x used for around the same price at my local GC (dont remember for sure). Ive played the microcube and was impressed and also played a few Valvtronix and was also impressed. i think a modeling amp would be my best bet. Any modeling amps play pedals well or know? ive played the presets and was impressed but i want to know if maybe i should look into selling my old pedals.
A fan of 90's screamo I see? I'd probably go Vox, I like their cleans more.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Vypyr 30 is where I'd be looking. I have the Vypyr 15 and upgraded to a 10" speaker. It's a great practice amp.
the cube 20 or 30 is awesome. it has really great cleans
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by ryanfit4battle
i didnt think i needed that much. any good lower-end tubes to check out?

blackstar ht-5h or ht-5
head / combo
quiet enough for bedroom fun,
but if you crank it, you coudl do reh's and even small / medium gigs,
and its v/ versatile,
its about £250 idk about in usa
i know another bump but i need opinons. I have it down to the Vox Valvetronix 30vt and the Roland Cube 30x. Whats gonna give better versatility to play all types of music? i hear good to both but whats gonna play the best all around?

thanks guys
Page 1 of 2