Poll: Guitar processor or pedals?
Poll Options
View poll results: Guitar processor or pedals?
BOSS GT-10 guitar processor
3 9%
Pedals
32 91%
Voters: 35.
So, in about a month i should get eather BOSS GT-10 guitar processor or some pedals ( Dunlop CryBaby, DigiTech Metal Master etc.) Now, I am asking for your opinion about it, because I really don't know what to do. Tnx!
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Standard 2008 (Desert Burst)
-ESP HORIZON FR II
-Squier BulletStrat
-Marshall MG100HDFX
-Marshall AVT412A
-Fender Frontman 15G
-Digitech RPx400
-Boss (MT-2, MD-2, GE-7, DD-7, CE-5. TU-15, BCB-60)
Really, multi-FX are good for figuring out what kind of sound you want. Apart from that, they sound too digital and are too convuluted to use really. I would go to a store and try out the KINDS of pedals you are thinking of. Since you're looking at distortion, try out the distortions. The same with the wah and other FX pedals. I have a Digitech RP500 multiFX, and now that I know basically what I want, I am going to sell it to get a decent pedalboard and amp.
The world doesn't revolve around you. If it does, beware. You're probably about to pass out drunk.

The 19 year old who knows his stuff. Most of the time.
Get individual pedals. Here's why: a processor may have a ton of effects built in, but you may not like the tone of all of them. For example, the chorus and flanger may sound good...but the distortion and phaser sound like crap. With individual pedals, you can pick and choose what effects you like the sound of.
Oh yes - and if you know some kickass pedals feel free to post them.
Gear:
-ESP HORIZON FR II
-Squier BulletStrat
-Marshall MG100HDFX
-Marshall AVT412A
-Fender Frontman 15G
-Digitech RPx400
ok, i have the GT-10 and im looking to get rid of it. It will be more expensive, but i personally would go with single pedals. The GT-10 just feels too digital.
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American Strat
Taylor 214ce
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier (about to be Voodoo Modded)
Keeley TS-808
Boss GT-10 Processor
Boss RC-20xl
Quote by MP93
Oh yes - and if you know some kickass pedals feel free to post them.

What effects are you looking for? What other gear are you using? How much you want to spend?
probably a new amp first honestly, neither will sound great with the mg. with the money you could get from selling that and your effects fund, you could easily get a great tube amp. you could even get the peavey vypyr tube which has good built-in effects.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Heres one thing i can tell you, dont buy the metal master. I has one and it licks bawlz.
Guitars
BC Rich Deluxe Series Warlock
Schecter Devil Custom

Amps
Crate GX900-h w/ GX412S cab

Effects
Boss NS-2
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell Wah
BBE Sonic Stomp
Korg Pitchblak
I have about 700 dollars to spend on it. I'm looking for good wah and distortion pedals for some metal, hard-rock, classic rock etc.
Gear:
-ESP HORIZON FR II
-Squier BulletStrat
-Marshall MG100HDFX
-Marshall AVT412A
-Fender Frontman 15G
-Digitech RPx400
Pedals. Multieffects don't sound organic at all, and they aren't worth the money.
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
If you're looking for a simple stage-setup, get the processor, but if you have a nice amp already that you like the sound of and don't need twenty different effects for your sound, pedals are better.
I do both. My POD does some things really well. For those things it doesn't, single pedals pickup the load nicely.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
If you have the sorta money to be looking at buying a GT-10, I'd upgrade your amp first tbh.
404: Sig not found.
tbh i would get rid of that mg before spending the extra money needed to build a decent pedal board. a MG will not pick out the subtleties of individuals over processors.

grab yourself something valvey also do you gig a lot or mainly play bedroom - if you play bedroom a lot might be worth downsizing in amps, 100w is waaay to big for any normal house.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
To be fair...
I owned a Marshall VS100R and matching cab a few years back and was strapped for cash at one point. I sold the head and picked up a second-hand G100R head (pre-MG series) for about £30.

I used to use my GT-8 into that (into the effects return though, NOT the input) and was able to get some pretty decent sounds out of it.

That being said, you'll still more than likely end up realising how bad an amp it is in a few months and want to upgrade to tube anyway.
Generally speaking, individual pedals sound better than multieffects with tube amps, so yea... you work it out.
404: Sig not found.
Last edited by ChrisN at Mar 19, 2009,
go try everything out at the store and see what you like best
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Quote by MP93
I have about 700 dollars to spend on it. I'm looking for good wah and distortion pedals for some metal, hard-rock, classic rock etc.

You're considering putting $700 toward pedals to throw in front of an MG? Sell the amp and put your money together and put it to use toward something you really want.
Quote by MP93

700 bucks? Sell your amp and replace it with a 50w JCM 800 or 900 and 1960 cab, or even cheaper a combo of the same amps. If you buy used you should be able to get that with your proceeds from your MG and still have enough left over for a decent OD and maybe a wah, much more if you go with a JCM 900 or combo.
Last edited by Chetbango at Mar 19, 2009,
The way iv see it is you want distortions go for a proper pedal. iv never ever liked a single multifx gain box setting ever. For your mods, delays and reverbs then a processor can be the way forward but only if you get something meaty like a G-Major. This approach give the ability to have distortion and wah pedals up front where they belong and the rest sat firmly in the loop doing what they were meant to do.

Im utterly amazed that you havnt been ravaged by the flames over your current amp setup. Seriously now, sell your current amp and cab and get a real amp. No ammount of FX can hide the MGs dreadfulness and any distortion you get wont work properly as these pedals are designed to push tubes. I just dont want to see you spend all that dosh on a half measure attempt at getting the sound you want. I spent 15 years trying to get a solid state amp to sound right and failed miserably. Iv had 2 generations of pods, multi effects units to the hilts from all the big guns, 3 different solid state amps to run em through and there's one thing i learnt . All I really wanted was 4 EL34s and 4 12AX7s. funny thing is i spent upwards of £2000+ over 15years in drips and drabs to find that if id have just saved £600 I would have been there 10 years ago. I suggest doing things right and raising the cash for a great tube amp that you like and build on that tone with effects. Right im done with e the Sagely wisdom for today.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Oh my god, get a better amp with all that money.
Bajeebus.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
If youre going to go with a processor i would recomend trying out a vox tonelab. its cheaper than a boss gt-10 and in my opinion, it sounds great.

i play alot of different styles so it suits my needs and is versatile enough to get several different tones out of it.

I also have an mg halfstack which i keep on the clean channel with the tonelab in front of it and it sounds good enough to me. *waits to get flamed*

but really the MG only has a crappy OD channel. the clean channel is pretty nice and with pedals in front of it, you can get a good tone. i hope i helped in some way.
^I S*** you not compadre!

Quote by Explorerpro
You Sir, Are Made Of Win.

Quote by El Hilliaro
Wow TS, this is a seriously great, original idea.

Anyway, I'm off, for some reason I have the strongest urge to listen to The Ramones.
SELL THE MG AND BUY A JCM800/900

/thread
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by Zakkcd
Really, multi-FX are good for figuring out what kind of sound you want. Apart from that, they sound too digital and are too convuluted to use really. I would go to a store and try out the KINDS of pedals you are thinking of. Since you're looking at distortion, try out the distortions. The same with the wah and other FX pedals. I have a Digitech RP500 multiFX, and now that I know basically what I want, I am going to sell it to get a decent pedalboard and amp.

this
I own a Gibson SG Standard
And I am officialy recognized as an SG commando

Gibson 2009 SG Standard --> Peavey Classic 50 2x12

RIP Lester William Polsfuss aka Les Paul 1915-2009
RIP Stephen Ray Vaughan aka SRV 1954-1990
I vote pedals, because there's always room for improvement in bits and pieces if you like. As a general rule of thumb, the more effects and stuff jammed into an affordable multi-effects unit means the lesser quality of tone (not always, but in most cases). I have a Zoom G7.1ut, and I'm trading it in for single pedals now. They're great for figuring out what you want (ie. consider I never use flanger, I'm not about to go buy a flanger pedal after not using any of the ones in the pedal [not from the quality of them, but my preferance as a guitarist]).
Your call really, but you'll have a much more affordable and better chance at finding what you want in seperate pedals IMO.