EDIT: please go to page 2 for new question

Hey UG,

i went to GAK today and tried out the Peavey Vyper and Peavey Valveking 112.

tbh, compare to the peavey, i thought the vyper sounded horrible, although i loved the valveking.
i was just wondering whether this will be a good buy, its a relatively low end tube, but is it worth it? my budget is around what a peavey valveking is, so im open to other suggestions.

thanks
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Last edited by LezPaulEpiphone at Mar 22, 2009,
if you go for the VK, check out the VK thread here, there are some good tips to make it sound even better

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Quote by El-Senor
If youre considering a VK at all, you should buy an EQ at the same time: it's very muddy without, and if you want to play metal, an OD pedal is a must too.

I got my VK home, and the same days went out and got the above pedals because the stock sound really isnt too good. So take that into consideration when you're pricing up.

On the other hand, Ive heard lots of praise about the Vypyrs

yeah i heard lots of praise bout the vypers too, but i was very disapointed.

i would like to play some metal, so ill have to get a decent OD aswell, i did notice that the dist. wasnt very strong.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Well VK is a bit dark with the stock tubes.
But I love mine cause I use a BBE Crusher for distortion.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Agreed. If you thought the VK sounded good at the store then it only gets better after you apply some tricks and pedals. EQ and OD are almost a must imo. Possibly a new speaker. Check out The Valveking Thread for more info.

The Vypyr is a completely different type of amp as you've realized. Good in it's own right.

Look at used gear too. What type of music to you play mostly? Home or Gig? Location?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Agreed. If you thought the VK sounded good at the store then it only gets better after you apply some tricks and pedals. EQ and OD are almost a must imo. Possibly a new speaker. Check out The Valveking Thread for more info.

The Vypyr is a completely different type of amp as you've realized. Good in it's own right.

Look at used gear too. What type of music to you play mostly? Home or Gig? Location?

well, im gonna be using at home only when i wanna play loud, i have a cube for quiet use. me and my band are gonna do a few small/medium gigs at skool, so ill be mainly using it for that.
i play alot of metallica stuff, old and new, and then some classic rock, maybe will go into heavier stuff aswell.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
I've got a VK head, play it through a marshall 4x10 65 1/2 stack, i really like it.

i play hard rock, blues, i don't play metal, but to achieve metal tones i would definatly buy a pedal of some sort.
Cream fan club member #11.
Quote by P.B.
I've got a VK head, play it through a marshall 4x10 65 1/2 stack, i really like it.

i play hard rock, blues, i don't play metal, but to achieve metal tones i would definatly buy a pedal of some sort.

could i get some suggestions on pedals? i was looking at this http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/ddm-death/12783

i cant really afford anything more than that for a pedal, any other suggestions welcome
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
I love my VK 112. I did swap out the preamp tubes, and the speaker. Total cost of that was $150.00 (Also got a spare set of Ruby Power Tubes included in that cost.) But if you can afford to do that, you will have a kick ass sounding amp. I put a TungSol in V1, a Penta Labs in V2, and a Sovtek in V3, great combination. I also use the dummy jack and FX loop mod as well. It is no longer muddy in any way and I can coax many different tones out of it.
Gear:
Ibanez Prestige 1421F
Epi Les Paul Ultra (With SD JB/Jazz pups)
Bugera 120w 333xl 212 combo
Peavey ValveKing 50w 112 combo (Eminence Texas Heat 12" speaker)
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
MXR M108 10 band EQ.
Dunlop Slash Crybaby Wah.
it's a solid amp but it's not my fancy... IMO the sound is all gain and no soul.
███████████████████████████████████
^you're talking about the Vypyr right tona?

Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
could i get some suggestions on pedals? i was looking at this http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/ddm-death/12783

i cant really afford anything more than that for a pedal, any other suggestions welcome

Don't get that pedal. It won't sound good. You really only need an Overdrive (OD) pedal. The Digitech Bad Monkey really works well on a budget for $50.

EQ wise, the MXR EQ pedals are the best, followed by the Boss and the Danelectro 7 band. The latter is $40 US.

Get a dummy jack too.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Mar 19, 2009,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^you're talking about the Vypyr right tona?

Don't get that pedal. It won't sound good. You really only need an Overdrive (OD) pedal. The Digitech Bad Monkey really works well on a budget for $50.

EQ wise, the MXR EQ pedals are the best, followed by the Boss and the Danelectro 7 band. The latter is $40 US.

Get a dummy jack too.

thanks, ill try out the bad monkey some time
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Ive heard that you might need a tube change and stuff later, sorry to sound like a noob, but how would i change tubes. ive done a search and looked in the "everything u need to know about tubes thread" but i couldnt find how.

could somebody please tell me, or link me to a thread where it explains it.

thanks
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
just pull out and put new ones in. btw you wont need to change tubes for a while
i had mine for about 2 years and just recently swapped them out. just focus more on getting an OD and EQ first.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
As everyone else has already mentioned, there are a few other things that you need to invest in if you really want the Valveking to sound good.

However, it completely blows modelling amps out of the water. I have one, completely stock at the moment, and I really am pleased. For the price, it really is decent.
Quote by sg622
just pull out and put new ones in. btw you wont need to change tubes for a while
i had mine for about 2 years and just recently swapped them out. just focus more on getting an OD and EQ first.

kay thanks.
im gonna get the bad monkey as many people say its good, but im abit stuck about the EQ, here in the UK every EQ seems to be over £80 :S
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
If you want a good EQ, get the MXR 10-band.

If you want a temporary cheap one, get the Danelectro Fish and Chips.
Quote by michal23
If you want a good EQ, get the MXR 10-band.

If you want a temporary cheap one, get the Danelectro Fish and Chips.

thank you
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by Random3
or the Boss GE-7 its much cheaper than the MXR-10 and sounds great

ill try out the fish and chips and the boss ge-7 when i next go to guitar shop, too see if its worth the extra money.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
ill try out the fish and chips and the boss ge-7 when i next go to guitar shop, too see if its worth the extra money.

The Boss GE-7 sucks your tone. If you're going to get it, you might as well spend the extra £30 or so on the MXR 10-band. Seriously, it's much better.
Quote by michal23
The Boss GE-7 sucks your tone. If you're going to get it, you might as well spend the extra £30 or so on the MXR 10-band. Seriously, it's much better.

hmm, maybe, im gonna start doing a paperround so that will get some money in, but i still need around £130 more for the actual amp.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Danelectro Pedals are cool. I got a few.
Yeah Digitech and Boss are great pedal makers, get one of those.
I really need to try out a valveking at some point to see what all the good-ness is about.
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
Hello again.
I went to GAK again yesterday, and I tried out a few other amps. I still would say that the Peavey is my favourite.

I couldnt try out pedals, as they didn't have the bad monkey in stock.
I did try out the Valveking 112 with my friend, he liked it just as much as I did. So as we were coming back from GAK, we go to another guitar shop. We asked if they had Valvekings (price comparison) and he said "no, we have some in our Crawley shop, but you don't want one of those. every single one we have sold has been brought back broken."

I said to my mate, I trust UG more than this guy, but still I'm slightly put off now.

I love the sound of it, but if its unreliable, then I wouldn't really want it.

Does UG have anything to say to this?

(tl;dr: a salesman told me valvekings broke, I love sound of them, but need to be reassured, thanks )
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
I've my VK for a little more than a year. I play the same genres you do with a little blues mixed in and it suits me really well. I've never had a problem with it.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
I've only had mine since december, but i have had no problems with it whatsoever. I think the guy you talked to wants you to buy soemthing else for better comission or soemthing like that.
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
Quote by classicrocker01
I've my VK for a little more than a year. I play the same genres you do with a little blues mixed in and it suits me really well. I've never had a problem with it.

kay thats reassuring, what do you think of the amp? have you modded it at all?

(sorry for all the questions, but if im gonna buy this i have to get it right, i dont have to money to change to mind and buy another after i have brought it.)
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
I liked it a good amount when i got it without my BOSS, but i just wanted to get the BOSS so i could have a bunch of FX/OD's to perform with. But on its own it stand pretty well. With reg pedals i would probably consider it liek amazing
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
I have had a valveking for well over a year now. It is very reliable. I don't get why people say why it is unreliable?
Quote by jamesfarr
I have had a valveking for well over a year now. It is very reliable. I don't get why people say why it is unreliable?

i dnno, the guy said all of them he had broke
probably wanted me to buy something else/got a bad batch
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
kay thats reassuring, what do you think of the amp? have you modded it at all?

(sorry for all the questions, but if im gonna buy this i have to get it right, i dont have to money to change to mind and buy another after i have brought it.)

I really like the sound of this amp, and it seems sturdy enough to me (besides the reverb tank, that was kinda crappily put in there) It really hits a sweet spot when turned up to about half volume on the gain channel. I have put in a Warehouse V-30, which really does wonders for this amp. It produces a much fatter, fuller tone. The stock tone wasn't half bad in comparison, but the new speaker is definatly something I would reccomend for later. Oh, and an overdrive really helps it out. Check out the VK thread for some tips and tricks.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

I still gotta change my speaker.....if you ever get a VK its highly reccomended to change the speaker.
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
Quote by classicrocker01
(besides the reverb tank, that was kinda crappily put in there)

I assume it was loose? It's supposed to be loose.
^I know, but not as loose as it is. It's also in there with 2 very crooked screws that are way too long. It's not a big deal though, that's my only beef with the amp.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

im probably gonna buy this when i can get around £100 more, as UG recommends, i think i shud get it
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!