Hi UG Community! I'm in high school and I've recently gotten a job so I've been trying to earn money for a new acoustic guitar. I already have a classical and an electric, but I'm looking for a steel-stringed acoustic guitar now (preferably one that can plug into an amp). The problem is I'm not really sure what I can get for a reasonable price. My price range is more or less around $200-$500. My acoustic playing style is influenced a lot by Antoine Dufour, Kotaro Oshio, Andy McKee, Petteri Sariola, and Sungha Jung so a guitar fit for fingerpicking would definitely be something I'm looking for, although it would be even better if it would be fit for fingerpicking and still sound good when simple chord strumming.

Also do electric pick-ups help the sound on a steel-stringed acoustic electric guitar? I notice Andy McKee and Antoine Dufour use it in the majority of their songs and it seems to bring up a lot of sound like harmonics nicely. Perhaps if it's fit for my playing style a suggestion of a guitar with electric pick ups would be good?

Anyway, thanks for reading this relatively long newbie post. I'm new to the community even though I've been leeching guitar tabs off here for a while. I hope I can become an active member and actually contribute now that I've officially registered. Also I apologize for all of these questions. Unfortunately I know more about electric guitars than acoustic guitars since this will be the first acoustic guitar I buy. (The classical I currently have is one of those old ones that's given to you by your parents that isn't "exactly great.")
ok, well thats a decent budget for ur 1st acoustic. taking into account u want one with a pick up id add abit more maybe. anyway, i have a takamine, they are japanese made guitar and i cant recomend them any higher. failing that here afew other names u can trust. taylor, martin
Hi and welcome. As a start, I highly recommend you look into the Epiphone masterbilt series model EF (prefer EF-500RCCE, R is for Rosewood Back/Sides) all solid wood, built to accomodate fingerstyle music. The Specs are very nice and it may be a little out of your price range ($799), it is worth checking. I am in the same situation, purchasing my 2nd guitar, so I did do quite a few research before coming to this decision. In addition, please also try out actual local guitars near you (if any exists) and develop a preference for sound and feel (neck of acoustic/comfortability) before making your purchase, you will not regret IT!!. Have fun and welcome!!
Last edited by vang0341 at Mar 19, 2009,
Quote by BKGMorley
ok, well thats a decent budget for ur 1st acoustic. taking into account u want one with a pick up id add abit more maybe. anyway, i have a takamine, they are japanese made guitar and i cant recomend them any higher. failing that here afew other names u can trust. taylor, martin

Well pick ups aren't that necessary. The main things I'm looking for are steel strings, ability to plug into an amp, and, well, an acoustic.

Also I was thinking about a Taylor or a Martin, but I don't even think there are Martins within my price range. I heard Takamines were good, but I've never actually sat down and tried one. (I've probably played one before, but I didn't really think about how it felt and how it sound since at that time I was still pretty ignorant about that type of stuff.)

Anyway, what I plan to do is get suggestions here, go to a place like Guitar Center or some other music store, and then try out the suggested models and then choose one that I like from there.

Quote by vang0341
Hi and welcome. As a start, I highly recommend you look into the Epiphone masterbilt series model EF (prefer EF-500R, R is for Rosewood Back/Sides) all solid wood, built to accomodate fingerstyle music. The Specs are very nice and it may be a little out of your price range ($599), it is worth checking. I am in the same situation, purchasing my 2nd guitar, so I did do quite a few research before coming to this decision. In addition, please also try out actual local guitars near you (if any exists) and develop a preference for sound and feel (neck of acoustic/comfortability) before making your purchase, you will not regret IT!!. Have fun and welcome!!

I'll check that model out. And yeah my price range is $200-$500, but I'm willing to bend it a little if the guitar is really worth it.

Thanks for the responses! I really appreciate it! Keep it comin'!
Last edited by ItsTheMatthias at Mar 19, 2009,
Quote by ItsTheMatthias
Well pick ups aren't that necessary. The main things I'm looking for are steel strings, ability to plug into an amp, and, well, an acoustic.

Good luck 'plugging into an amp' without pickups or a mic.

Also I was thinking about a Taylor or a Martin, but I don't even think there are Martins within my price range. I heard Takamines were good, but I've never actually sat down and tried one. (I've probably played one before, but I didn't really think about how it felt and how it sound since at that time I was still pretty ignorant about that type of stuff.)

Ignore the people who tell you to look at 'Martin's, Taylors, and Takamines.' Listing a brand name is stupid. If I was suggesting electric guitars I wouldn't just say 'Fender' would I.

Thanks for the responses! I really appreciate it! Keep it comin'!

Ignore the Masterbilt that some guy posted as well. It's not an electro-acoustic.
Quote by ClaptonWannabe
Ignore the Masterbilt that some guy posted as well. It's not an electro-acoustic.

Well I've seen some acoustic-electric guitars compatible with amps and they didn't have pick ups on the outside above the soundhole like McKee and Dufour's guitars. I checked inside and I didn't see any pick ups either unless I missed them or I'm just not familiar with acoustic-electric guitar pick ups. But now when I think of it, it would make sense that in order to plug into an amp you need pick ups.

I think a friend of mine has this Taylor:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Taylor-210e-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-104307186-i1148409.gc
Where would the pick ups be on this guitar? On the inside? What do they look like? How are they different from pick ups on the outside of an acoustic-electric guitar?
I've never been a fan of having electronics in an acoustic guitar. My recommendation is getting a cheaper Washburn for around $300 and using a microphone. Just my opinion.
Quote by ClaptonWannabe

Sorry, I meant the EF-500RCCE, but unfortunately I checked the price its actually $799, but its definitely well worth it.

Epiphone Masterbilt EF-500RCCE
Quote by cdr_salamander
I've never been a fan of having electronics in an acoustic guitar. My recommendation is getting a cheaper Washburn for around $300 and using a microphone. Just my opinion.

I agree, it truly is a matter of preference though. I do like the convenance of switching out amplified pick-ups easily thru the sound hole, you can't do that with a buildt-in pick-up. And if you purchase more additional guitars, you can easily switch it out for that new guitar
Quote by ItsTheMatthias
Well I've seen some acoustic-electric guitars compatible with amps and they didn't have pick ups on the outside above the soundhole like McKee and Dufour's guitars. I checked inside and I didn't see any pick ups either unless I missed them or I'm just not familiar with acoustic-electric guitar pick ups. But now when I think of it, it would make sense that in order to plug into an amp you need pick ups.

I think a friend of mine has this Taylor:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Taylor-210e-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-104307186-i1148409.gc
Where would the pick ups be on this guitar? On the inside? What do they look like? How are they different from pick ups on the outside of an acoustic-electric guitar?

You should do some research mate, will help you understand exactly what you want.

If you can plug a guitar into an amp, thenit either has a built in mic (which is in the body under the strings) or a pickup (which is also in the body but usually under the bridge.

Different types include Piezo pickups, transducers... in fact I can't talk about them in detail, just have a look. They're normally stuck to the underside of the bridge so you wouldn't see it unles you were looking for it.

The EST is a under-saddle transducer, and looks like this

Edit: On the recordings on McKee and Dufour they just play in front of a microphone I believe. They don't plug the guitar in to anything. They do when they play live though.
Last edited by ClaptonWannabe at Mar 19, 2009,
Quote by ClaptonWannabe
You should do some research mate, will help you understand exactly what you want.

If you can plug a guitar into an amp, thenit either has a built in mic (which is in the body under the strings) or a pickup (which is also in the body but usually under the bridge.

Different types include Piezo pickups, transducers... in fact I can't talk about them in detail, just have a look. They're normally stuck to the underside of the bridge so you wouldn't see it unles you were looking for it.

The EST is a under-saddle transducer, and looks like this

Edit: On the recordings on McKee and Dufour they just play in front of a microphone I believe. They don't plug the guitar in to anything. They do when they play live though.

This has probably been by far the most useful post I've read. I'll go do my own research into pick-ups and mics. I also knew that McKee and the CandyRat guys used an external microphone to recorded their videos, but I never really thought about their guitar unplugged in the online video. Thanks a bunch for the heads up!