Im getting the Peavey Vypyr but I cant decide between the 75 and the 100. They are pretty much exactly the same except the 100 has 2x12 and the 75 has 1x12, and of course the price difference.

So will I get better sound with the 100?
Maybe a little fuller, but definitely much louder. I wouldn't get the 2x12 if you plan on playing low volumes.
Quote by bassdrum
Maybe a little fuller, but definitely much louder. I wouldn't get the 2x12 if you plan on playing low volumes.

It won't be much louder at all.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I have always prefered 2x12's over 1x12.. It has alot fuller sound to it.

And adding another speaker to the mix is marginaly preceived as louder and it would not stop you from playing it at lower volumes by any means. Especially considering he is getting an ss amp which can go down to a whisper quite and still retain the same tone rather it be one speaker or two speakers.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Mar 19, 2009,
Quote by gregs1020
It won't be much louder at all.

It is trying to play at low volumes..
it won't sound louder, but it does sound 'better'
two speakers move more air and because of that it sounds better(don't really know how to explain..)
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Quote by bassdrum
It is trying to play at low volumes..

If you buy a 75 or 100 watt amp for low volumes you're doing it wrong.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Putting equal sounds into the two, I'd prefer the 2x12 because each speaker is doing less work. And you have a little more from the amp as well, though not as much as you might expect from 33% higher rating. That said, the price difference might be a deciding factor and one not to be taken lightly. If the 1x12 does what you need with a bit to spare, it may be the better buy as the sound difference is not a lot.
Oh, the 1x12 will be a fair bit lighter to carry around and that is another consideration.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Does the Vypyr come with any stereo effects? If it does then I could see where the two speakers would come in handy over only one.

However if you're playing it at low volumes then I say go with the 75 watt because, although in my opinion the more speakers you have the better it sounds, you aren't going to be turning it up loud enough to actually utilize both speakers and get that "fuller" sound that everyone is talking about.
On the other hand.... If you mic a 4X12 cabinet, you're still only hearing 1 speaker through the p.a. Most studios have 1X12 iso cabs. If you're gonna mic a 1X12 go that route, it's a helluva lot easier to carry around than a half stack.... I just sold a 4X12 to get a single speaker cab, back surgery was not successful
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
Yeah well pretty much I want to be able to play at home with it but it would be nice to gig with it when I get better. So the 100 is too loud for home use? Because they both have that output attenuator thing, if it actually works..

thanks for the replies so far
Quote by subzero364
Yeah well pretty much I want to be able to play at home with it but it would be nice to gig with it when I get better. So the 100 is too loud for home use? Because they both have that output attenuator thing, if it actually works..

thanks for the replies so far

Its SS you could have a 1000 watts and it would be perfectly fine for home use. And the reason for the higher wattage is SS amps clip after a certian volume is reached. To combat that they add it more wattage to give you a bit of headroom. With SS amps and Gigging high wattage is greatly needed. And also in no way does it hinder bedroom practicing. Just dont crank it to 10 and your fine people tend to foget that SS amps are nothing like tube amps when it comes to volume levels needed to obtain a certain tone.