Hello fellow bassists, I have been playing bass for about a month now. I purchased a Squire P-bass pack that was recommended from the sticky, and I'm loving it so far. I've also been just teaching myself songs with the help of the "I need bass songs to learn" sticky which is also very helpful.

I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on what to do besides just learning songs, such as recommendations on various bass books, or just advice in general. Also, about where should I be in regards to learning songs from that list of songs to learn? I decided to see if I could play an "expert" song from the list (YYZ) last night just for fun, and I could play a good portion of the song near the actual tempo, if that gives you any indication of where I am I know I should probably get a teacher, but tennis season is going on at the moment, so I'm kind of short on time.

Thanks in advance
buy a metronome, and if you can, i would suggest buying/pirating Guitar Pro 5.

also, if you have any friends that play instruments, jamming with them will help you along a lot.
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
It's not possible to tell where you should be, everyone is different. If you notice, the "Bass Songs To Learn" thread is riddled with people saying x should be a medium song, no x should be a hard song, etc. Some people don't play certain styles, techniques, or songs as well as others, regardless of "skill".

I would say, getting a teacher really helps, but playing with people, especially a drummer, helps with rhythm and general skills. Also, look up some theory lessons on UG or elsewhere, theory is really important to being a good musician.

Mostly, just keep playing, and enjoy the experiance.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
You should be where you are comfortable being.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Alright, so basically scrap the books and get someone to jam with. I can do that, thanks guys
if u can improvise with only yourself, (and drums) with 45 min. worth of solid material....then you got it. I mean all original stuff, no mistakes....and good solid material. you know.....making up your own songs.
<Insert Witty Comment Here>

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS
I would also recomend investing in some basic recording software, not just for writing your own songs, but mostly to hear yourself, and to allow you to critique your own playing objectively. Audacity is a very good means to this end, being free to download...
Attendez la creme!
"Harry dear, its an inaminate object"

"YOU'RE AN INANIMATE OBJECT!"
Quote by loinmute
if u can improvise with only yourself, (and drums) with 45 min. worth of solid material....then you got it. I mean all original stuff, no mistakes....and good solid material. you know.....making up your own songs.

your pushing it to the limit
and a bit overacting, if you improvise, it's quite probably you''ll be making some mistakes.
I guess Bass for dummies or Idoits guide for Bass or something for the books.
You can check them out at a library.
+1 to a metronome/drum beat. It's not just helpful, it's essential.

To answer the thread question, you should be wherever you are now. It all depends on a few factors like natural proficency, knowledge, experience, time spent practicing, etc. Music isn't a race, there are no bonus points for getting there sooner.

Learn some scales, the notes on your fretboard, and how to play along with chord progressions (check out cyberfretbass.com , great lessons). From there, listen to a ton of the music that you like and play along. You aren't necessarily trying to learn the song verbatim, use it as a chance to figure out your own riffs by playing to a note progression.

Take a good look at what you like about the instrument and what you want to accomplish with it. What do you want it to do for you? Then take reasonable steps twards that goal.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Record yourself at intervals and listen for your progress. If you sound better each time, you are progressing. Keep a practice diary and use it as well to track how you are practicing and how you are progressing as well.

This is such a relative question--everyone develops at different rates. However, getting someone to evaluate your playing at points in time is useful, even if its a more experienced player rather than a teacher. Progress is important--the individual rate of your progress compared to mine is irrelevant.
Quote by szekelymihai
your pushing it to the limit
and a bit overacting, if you improvise, it's quite probably you''ll be making some mistakes.

i disagree. do you think that Entwistle, John Paul Jones, Flea etc. would not wake up in the morning and plug in; all the while just jamming improv? I will admit my ego is big, but I make my guitar bleed.

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS
Quote by loinmute
i disagree. do you think that Entwistle, John Paul Jones, Flea etc. would not wake up in the morning and plug in; all the while just jamming improv? I will admit my ego is big, but I make my guitar bleed.

yes but this guy said he's been playing for a month. now that's something i would really ask from him yet.This was my point
^ true. but he did ask. I see it as the age ol' debate: cover vs. original

no biggy

Last edited by loinmute at Mar 20, 2009,