I installed EMG 85/81s in my guitar myself, and I got all the wiring correct (i assume)

The volume/tone knob work fine, and both pickups work correctly with the switch.

BUT

I CAN'T get a clean tone out of my guitar, even if it's on a fender amp, my pickups create their own "overdrive" sort of tone on their own. VERY ANNOYING

any ideas what might be causing this?
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
The fact that they are active EMGs is your problem. They aren't designed for clean tones. The people that come on these forums and say "Active EMGs are really versatile - you can use them for any genre!!" are full of ****.

They have a very weak magnetic field with a built in preamp that acts as a boost, more or less, to push your amp harder - its similar to putting an OD in front of your amp with the gain set low.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
The fact that they are active EMGs is your problem. They aren't designed for clean tones. The people that come on these forums and say "Active EMGs are really versatile - you can use them for any genre!!" are full of ****.

They have a very weak magnetic field with a built in preamp that acts as a boost, more or less, to push your amp harder - its similar to putting an OD in front of your amp with the gain set low.

they are versatile.

check your wiring again with great attention

you should be able to get a clean tone with no problem
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by i_am_metalhead

you don't know what you're talking about...

Quote by JLT73
they are versatile.

check your wiring again with great attention

you should be able to get a clean tone with no problem

Yeah, I looked over and rewired it again to rule out any bad connections.

For whatever reason the problem remains.. This is my first time wiring a guitar so I'm not too upset, I'm gonna get it taken in and learn from the professional.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by touji-za-nai

For whatever reason the problem remains.. This is my first time wiring a guitar so I'm not too upset, I'm gonna get it taken in and learn from the professional.

No, sir, it is you who are ignorant to the matter at hand.
Last edited by i_am_metalhead at Mar 19, 2009,
Quote by touji-za-nai

haha
he DOES know what he is talking about. these pickups are not versatile in terms of cleans
+1 to everything metalhead said
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Yeah dude, metalhead is right.
The emg's push a stronger (or "louder") signal into the amp, and
because it's a tube amp it adds a little bit of gain.

Wiring it wrong won't add gain, that makes no sense.

The only thing you can do if you absolutely NEED cleaner cleans is to buy an EMG 60 and put it in place of the 85,
it's the best EMG for cleans.
Or switch to passive pickups..
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Last edited by Faux~Affliction at Mar 19, 2009,
My EMG plays cleans fine.

You should be able to get cleans without a hum with EMG's. The only reason people say they're bad for cleans is the overall tone, not the hum.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
The 85 can do cleans fine. Metalhead is a bandwagoner, if the problems are that bad turn the volume down. Easy as hell fix.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Metalhead is a bandwagoner,

A little harsh.... I dont think his post was completely false.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Maybe. But contrary to popular beliefs, EMG's can sound good clean. I know. I've done it.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
actually, emg's cleans are not great, and them "doing cleans fine" is a very accurate description: they can do cleans, but it is not what they are made for, nor do they shine in that particular area.
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION