I didn't think that this would have fit into other forums, so i put it here. I play piano and am interested in buying a synth. I have no idea what to look for, or what's what. So if someone can give me some pointers, and or lead me in the right direction in way of products I'd appreciate it. I'm not looking to spend alot of money.
Gear:
Fender Standard Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul Classic Plus Gold top
Ibanez RDGR bass
Kramer Focus111s
.88mm
Glass slide
Korg Microkorg or Alesis Micron?
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Isn't the Mikrokorg 300.00?
Gear:
Ibanez RDGR bass
Kramer Focus111s
.88mm
Glass slide
Quote by IsThereLoveInSp
Korg Microkorg or Alesis Micron?

try these out. There are a few 'round $500 too. I'm trying to get a microkorg myself

Saying the Red Hot Chili Peppers have no talent is like saying Guy Fawkes didn't have an epic mustache.
Quote by PunxRckr
Isn't the Mikrokorg 300.00?

$400 new. Used they go for about 300.

It is an amazing little synth for the price.

I hear the alesis one is great too(same price), but I haven't played it.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Hmm, allright, thanks
Gear:
Ibanez RDGR bass
Kramer Focus111s
.88mm
Glass slide
A cheaper but still effective solution is to get a MIDI controller and use your computer as the synth. I have an M-Audio Keystation 88es as well as an Oxygen 8v2 hooked up to a MacBook Pro running Kontakt, Reason, Akoustik Piano, Logic, etc. I can pull up and generate any synth patches as well as sound samples from those programs.

NI makes some great replica programs for classic synthesizers such as the FM8. Logic and Reason both have great synth generators as well.

You can find some pretty good used deals for the MIDI controllers on eBay for about 100-200 bucks, depending on the features. The action of the keys, the features of controllers/faders, the number of keys are all factors of price. But usually they are cheaper than a decent standalone synth.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Mar 19, 2009,
MicroKorg is a good one if you're not too serious about it. There are lots of MicroKorg demos on youtube. Look them up, it's a very good option.

The Korg R3 is better, but more expensive.

Look at synths from the top brands, check the price and then check for demo videos for the ones you can afford.
Quote by PunxRckr
I play piano and am interested in buying a synth.
Three points to consider:

1. Sound: No matter how good it sounds, sooner or later you'll kind of get bored with it. Get one with many patches so you can switch once in a while. And if possible with loadable sound patches. (Mine doesn't unfortunately). Xiaoxi's idea is good, but most MIDI controllers have a bit of delay. It means that there is a small time between you pressing a key and hearing the tone.

2. Feel: If you're used to play on a real piano with hammers, the synth keys will have a very light feel. It's comfortable, but it's not ideal to study. The more your synth costs, the better the feel.

3. Weight: You might consider buying a stage piano. They are easier to transport and they're built to withstand some punishment. Drawback is that you need a stand to put it on, and if you play like Jerry Lee Lewis, your piano will not be stable.

Best advise I can give: go to a store and try them out. As many as you can and for as long as they let you. Two brands I can recommend: Yamaha and Roland. I own a used Roland RD-300SX which I like a lot. Be warned, it doesn't come with head phones and it has no standard speakers.

Best of luck...
Quote by Withakay
most MIDI controllers have a bit of delay. It means that there is a small time between you pressing a key and hearing the tone.

From personal experience, I'd have to disagree with you.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
From personal experience, I'd have to disagree with you.
Really? Great for you. What equipment do you use?
Quote by Withakay
Really? Great for you. What equipment do you use?

Well, I already listed the equipment in my first post.

I'll just point out that both of my M-Audio keyboards use a direct USB2.0 connection to my MacBook Pro, instead of a MIDI connection to an audio interface to the computer. Macs have a decent audio driver to begin with. Its CoreAudio driver is much better than Windows MME and even ASIO. These could be factors of why I don't get any latency problems.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Sorry, I umm... kind of missed that. :-)

So a USB connection to a MacBook Pro beats a dedicated MIDI controller and ASIO drivers? I must admit I never used a Mac. But then again, you can hardly qualify that setup as a cheap alternative to a synth. Unless you happen to have a PowerBook lying around of course.
Quote by Withakay
Three points to consider:

1. Sound: No matter how good it sounds, sooner or later you'll kind of get bored with it. Get one with many patches so you can switch once in a while. And if possible with loadable sound patches. (Mine doesn't unfortunately). Xiaoxi's idea is good, but most MIDI controllers have a bit of delay. It means that there is a small time between you pressing a key and hearing the tone.

2. Feel: If you're used to play on a real piano with hammers, the synth keys will have a very light feel. It's comfortable, but it's not ideal to study. The more your synth costs, the better the feel.

3. Weight: You might consider buying a stage piano. They are easier to transport and they're built to withstand some punishment. Drawback is that you need a stand to put it on, and if you play like Jerry Lee Lewis, your piano will not be stable.

Best advise I can give: go to a store and try them out. As many as you can and for as long as they let you. Two brands I can recommend: Yamaha and Roland. I own a used Roland RD-300SX which I like a lot. Be warned, it doesn't come with head phones and it has no standard speakers.

Best of luck...

Weighted keys. My brother's has weighted keys and I love it. (One of them also has "two-step"keys, meaning that is is basically weighted without being weighted; you can simulate smashing keys in to play louder.) But yeah, it has weighted keys and they play like a piano's.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by Withakay
Sorry, I umm... kind of missed that. :-)

So a USB connection to a MacBook Pro beats a dedicated MIDI controller and ASIO drivers? I must admit I never used a Mac. But then again, you can hardly qualify that setup as a cheap alternative to a synth. Unless you happen to have a PowerBook lying around of course.

Well, the MIDI controller I have is still a dedicated MIDI controller. From my own experience, I like Mac's CoreAudio driver better than ASIO (I've used both Windows and OSX for production). It's simpler and much more integrated into all of the programs I use.

I'm not saying you need to have a MacBook to get it running well. You can get ASIO and hook up a USB MIDI controller and it should work about the same.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by lordofthefood1
My brother's has weighted keys and I love it.
Yes, my Roland has a decend attempt to weighted keys, but they're still too soft compared to the real thing. I think Yamaha's have better keys than Roland's, but the really good ones are on very expensive models.

What does your brother own?
Quote by Xiaoxi
You can get ASIO and hook up a USB MIDI controller and it should work about the same.
Which USB MIDI controller would you suggest to a Windows XP user? I'd like to connect my RD-300SX to Reaper.
just to chip in, I built a synth by modding a Powerbook G4 into an old electric keyboard, using midi to connect them. The computer is old, it has an 867Mhz processor, but I never notice any lag whatsoever. It has a dedicated USB midi controller, but it's only USB1. Windows must run midi really badly if that machine can do it fine under Mac.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by Withakay

Which USB MIDI controller would you suggest to a Windows XP user? I'd like to connect my RD-300SX to Reaper.

I don't really have any personal suggestions for you. There's a sizeable selection of USB MIDI controller keyboards to choose from, and you sound pretty familiar with most of the keyboard companies. They all work about the same in terms of connections though...just plug in the keyboard through the USB port, install the drivers if needed (some don't), and it should be automatically detected as a MIDI device in your audio programs.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Old-school analogue synths are the way to go.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Quote by PunxRckr
I didn't think that this would have fit into other forums, so i put it here. I play piano and am interested in buying a synth. I have no idea what to look for, or what's what. So if someone can give me some pointers, and or lead me in the right direction in way of products I'd appreciate it. I'm not looking to spend alot of money.

your best option is probably to get a Midi Controller, and Interface, to use with your computer. It'll give you the most versatility for the price, and in total should only really set you back about 500, maybe less, maybe more, depending on what you go for.
Supreme Commander Of The Lolcats Of the UG Army

And that guy, who had that idea, one time

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SIMIAN σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by thelurker
plug your piano into a distortion pedal like i did

A microkorg is a great little synth for beginners, and is relatively inexpensive.

Another good way to learn is to get a cheap midi controller and play around with some free vsti's and stuff. I started learning synth with a neat little minimoog emulator.
Quote by sargasm

A microkorg is a great little synth for beginners, and is relatively inexpensive.

I don't think a piano player would like a MicroKorg

The best feel ever: Yamaha DX7

but the DX7 is FM synthesis which is more complicated than virtual analog

it also sounds different

but old-school analog = $$$$$$$$$$$

I got my DX7s for 170$CAN
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!