I'm looking to buy a distortion pedal, price range is under 100$. So far I've been looking at the Boss DS-1, as my friend has one of those and it seems pretty nice for its price. I'm aware that it eats through batteries rapidly, however I already have the Boss AC adapter for my other pedal. Any suggestions on another brand or a better distortion pedal for this price range?
unless you have a nice warm tube amp don't bother with the ds-1. It's quite shrill and lifeless to my ears. Do you play metal?
Boss MT-2 No matter what tbh. Its called metal core but you can get just about any distortion out of it.....even fuzz! I strongly recommend getting this pedal.......look for reviews on youtube! It totally changes the sound of your amp to an amazing distortion I never use the distortion on my amp at all now
hope i helped.
Quote by E0HopwoodC
Boss MT-2 No matter what tbh. Its called metal core but you can get just about any distortion out of it.....even fuzz! I strongly recommend getting this pedal.......look for reviews on youtube! It totally changes the sound of your amp to an amazing distortion I never use the distortion on my amp at all now
hope i helped.

Please ignore this tonally deficent retard.

TS, if you play metal look into an Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff or on eBay/Craigslist for a Boss HM-2. The HM-2 is also a great all purpose distortion pedal.

Otherwise, probably an EHX Big Muff, either US or Russian depending on what you want. The US version has more sustain and gain, but has a harsher tone than the Russian version which tends to be smoother, more like distortion than fuzz.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I play a little bit of everything, I lean more towards rock, but metal is definately up there in terms of what I play. I'll have to get down to my local guitar center and check out some of the pedals there, cause I'm not too knowledgeable as far as pedals yet.
Look on eBay for a HM-2 if you need an all-purpose distortion pedal. They're discontinued, but check out some youtube clips.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by E0HopwoodC
Boss MT-2 No matter what tbh. Its called metal core

the Boss MT-2 is the metal zone

the Boss ML-2 is the metal core

for a very cheap option I rate the metal core over the metal zone.
Quote by RampagingAcorn
my ****ing god if i see another ****ing thread on this **** i will kill a baby
Quote by Blitz93
I play a little bit of everything, I lean more towards rock, but metal is definately up there in terms of what I play. I'll have to get down to my local guitar center and check out some of the pedals there, cause I'm not too knowledgeable as far as pedals yet.

Same here that's why I chose the Boss MT-2 and yes I did mean metalzone my mistake.
But seriously this pedal is great
Quote by E0HopwoodC
Same here that's why I chose the Boss MT-2 and yes I did mean metalzone my mistake.
But seriously this pedal is great

But REALLY seriously... it's garbage.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Well I have a great selection of pedals I'm going to have to look at and try out. Thanks guys, I appreciate everyones input and opinions.
what amp've you got? id take a look at the boss mega distortion MD-2, its much better than most "metal pedals" on the market
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by Blitz93

why do you need a distortion pedal then? trust me man, those amps arent really great with distortion pedals, the distortion on the amp would probably sound better. mess around with the "metal" models, i remember i found some decent sounds on those when i tried the amp out.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
OK, no distortion pedal will make that amp sound good. In fact, because it's a modeling amp, pedals will just make it sound worse.

Put the money toward saving for a new amp.
Quote by Cathbard
Okay, well I just got confirmed that distortion pedal + line 6 amp = fail, so sorry for my guitar amp/pedal newbie-ness, and sorry for wasting everyones time but thanks to everyone who helped anyways, it's much appreciated!
No problem. When you're ready to buy a new amp, come back and we'll help you then.

If you sell the Spider, you might be able to find a good used amp.
Quote by Cathbard