Im thinking about buying a VOX AD50VT for 300 euros its valve
so 50 Wattages are HELL on earth when cranked up(guitar shop experience)
or get a Les Paul Special 2 or maybe save up for a standard plus
i got a crap 10w wannabe solid state amp
and another off brand strat

but hey the sound comes mostly from the amp and not the guitar,right?
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Aww you're new. You think the vox is valve. How cute.

Nah, I'd say get the amp first. When you have a little piece of **** amp making you sound like ****, you get discouraged from learning. Learn on your guitar and get the new amp broski.
My Band

Equipment:
ESP EC-500 EMG 81/85
Mesa Boogie MK III
Marshall 1960B cab
Quote by IXI Streak IXI
Aww you're new. You think the vox is valve. How cute.

Nah, I'd say get the amp first. When you have a little piece of **** amp making you sound like ****, you get discouraged from learning. Learn on your guitar and get the new amp broski.

it isn't a valve amp fyi. but yes, get a new amp first, and perhaps if you moved this to the guitar gear and accessories forum we could recomend you an even better amp
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
As a general rule -

A decent guitar through a great amp can sound decent.

A great guitar through a sh*tty amp still sounds like a great guitar through a sh*tty amp.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
As a general rule -

A decent guitar through a great amp can sound decent.

A great guitar through a sh*tty amp still sounds like a great guitar through a sh*tty amp.

I'm pretty sure it's the other way round... If you have a ****ty amp, your guitar will sound like crap.

I say amp unlesss something is wrong with your guitar and holding you back e.t.c.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
good guitar+bad amp=**** tone
bad guitar+good amp=still good tone

this needs to be Ugs moto, sick of typing it,
Last edited by stephen_rettie at Mar 19, 2009,
Get a new amp, but you dont need 50 watts right now, go with 30 at most.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Well if you're playing a POS guitar, it could hold back your technique as well. So unless you're guitar is absolutely horrible, go with the amp
Quote by EndTheRapture51
hard sciences don't have correct and incorrect answers actually
Get a good amp. Then a good guitar.
Last edited by eaton1012 at Mar 19, 2009,
oops sry made a few mistakes up there
first my guitar isnt no name its from a brand named collins(from germany made in china)
it plays like a squier but worse >.<
but its a beginner instrument and it has zakk wylde strings on em so yea

sry i mixed valves with tubes

Also, I like black.

Valves are tubes. Valve is more commonly used in Europe, where as in America, we use the words tube.

They're saying the Valvetronix series isn't a real tube amp. because it's not. It's a hybrid, with modeling technology.

If it plays badly, and has "Zakk Wylde" strings on them, chances are that it's set up HORRIBLY. Go get a professional setup from a guitar shop. I guarantee it'll feel better to play.

The Vox is a good amp. It's also not as loud as a real 50 watt tube amp. You'll be fine.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Mar 19, 2009,
Valves and tubes are the same thing. The Vox is a hybrid amp, which means that it uses a valve as well as solid state circuitry. It's 90% solid state, so we don't refer to it as a valve amp. It's usually called a modelling amp because it is designed to imitate the sound of various amps instead of just having it's own distinctive sound.

The 50 watt Valvetronix is a good choice if you want a cheap amp that can be used for gigging. However, if you want something for home use only, you could just as well consider smaller amps. If you tell us what music you play and how much you are willing to spend, we can recommend you some.

Last: The Special 2 is junk, the Standard Plus is just overpriced for what it is. Once again, if you tell us how much you'd spend and what you play, we can recommend some good stuff.

EDIT: Curses, beaten to it. +1 on the setup by the way, Collins guitars aren't all that bad I think.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Mar 19, 2009,
500 euros for guitar (pickups if necessary)
and 300 for that amp (its on sale cause its normally like 400)
i play heavy metal(80s,90s stuff)
some crazy distorted stuff like meshuggah and cannibal corpse

Also, I like black.

Try the Peavey Vypyr 30 for those styles. It's only 30 watts, but that's hella loud already. It only costs 200€. The Vox is a nice amp, but it works best for lower gain music, death metal or anything like that sounds better through the Vypyr.
You could try a Blackstar HT-5, but that one's 350€ and even though it has plenty of gain on tap... I doubt it'll sound agressive enough. I think the Vypyr is your best bet right now.

As far as guitars are concerned, look at the Ibanez RGA42. Don't bother swapping pickups yet, you can do that once you got used to your gear and are a few more years into playing. No offense, but it takes some time to develope an ear for tone and to find out what sound exactly you want. The Ibanez and the Vypyr will do your styles of music just fine.

http://www.thomann.de/de/peavey_vypyr_30.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_rga42_bk.htm
Quote by TheQuailman
Don't bother swapping pickups yet, you can do that once you got used to your gear and are a few more years into playing. No offense, but it takes some time to develope an ear for tone and to find out what sound exactly you want.

+1

I still think you'd be fine if you just got a setup for your current guitar. Don't know how much it over there....but around here it's around 30 bucks.
Quote by Yngwi3
I'm pretty sure it's the other way round... If you have a ****ty amp, your guitar will sound like crap.

I say amp unlesss something is wrong with your guitar and holding you back e.t.c.

That's what I said -

A decent guitar through a GOOD amp will sound decent.

Even a great guitar through a sh*t amp will sound like a great guitar through a sh*t amp - in other words, no matter how great the guitar is, if your amp is awful, your tone is going to be awful.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I think what is important here is that your guitar meets a minimal standard before you should go spending hundreds on an amp. I'll offer some opinions on all this.

First, your guitar needs to be able to stay in tune. If it is so crappy that it wont stay in tune, you will sound bad no matter what. Second, your guitar needs have decent intonation. This can be changed in all but the cheapest guitars. Third it needs to have playable action and be more or less free of fret buzz. If you take it to a shop and if they cannot get it to do the above things, replace it. Otherwise you will not enjoy playing it. If it can play in tune and has decent action, and you like the guitar, keep it.

Given that your guitar meets these minimal expectations, then buy the best amp you can afford. It really depends on the sound you want to achieve and if you need something for a bedroom or to play live shows to decide which amp to get. But once you decide, buy used.

Buying a used amp, I think, makes the most sense for a few reasons. The main reason is that you can buy roughly twice the amp for the same money. As long as you can play it before buying, you should be able to tell with about 15-20 minutes of playing if it has any problems. If a tube amp sounds good in all channels and the tone and effects knobs all appear working, it is probably fine. Most any tube amp can be fixed and maintained fairly inexpensively. If a 10 year old Marshall sounds good before you buy it, it probably won't break down any time soon. If something does fail, it is likely a tube, and those are reletively cheap.
Right now is a great time to buy used, especially on craigslist, I have seen some very good prices from people that obviously are looking for a fast sale.
If you buy used and want to replace the amp withing a couple of years of buying it, you should be able to sell it for about what you paid for it.

The main problem with buying used is that it may have issues and you cannot just take it back, but I think the money you save by going used easily is offset by any risk of it breaking.
Quote by TheQuailman
Try the Peavey Vypyr 30 for those styles. It's only 30 watts, but that's hella loud already. It only costs 200€. The Vox is a nice amp, but it works best for lower gain music, death metal or anything like that sounds better through the Vypyr.
You could try a Blackstar HT-5, but that one's 350€ and even though it has plenty of gain on tap... I doubt it'll sound agressive enough. I think the Vypyr is your best bet right now.

As far as guitars are concerned, look at the Ibanez RGA42. Don't bother swapping pickups yet, you can do that once you got used to your gear and are a few more years into playing. No offense, but it takes some time to develope an ear for tone and to find out what sound exactly you want. The Ibanez and the Vypyr will do your styles of music just fine.

http://www.thomann.de/de/peavey_vypyr_30.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_rga42_bk.htm

well thanks^^
but i dont live in germany tho, its austria
whateva shipment is like 5 euros to get it down there

Thanks for all your help guys!!

Also, I like black.

A buddy of mine had a POS guitar it was an epihag or a hagaphone it literally was an epiphone neck on a hagstrom body but he had a fantastic all tube (valve) Peavey amp old as the hills with 6 8in speakers in it we gigged for years with that amp and when you ran my strat through it it sang!!! moral of the story get your guitar set as best as you can, get a decent amp not great cause your gonna out grow it as your playing changes then upgrade your axe and viola a whole new sound eventually up grade you amp & viola again!!
I would make sure you are happy with your guitar first. There is nothing more annoying than a badly setup cheap guitar to play / practice on. No matter how good it sounds through a quality amp you still have to play the guitar. Once you have a guitar you like then go for the amp.
i have a les paul custom and to tell you the truth i wish i would have never bought it. if you really wanna get a badass guitar and your a metal fan then get and ibanez rg prestige or a ibanez s prestige they have super thin necks to maximize your reach they have great tone and they're light as a feather. as for amps i have a line six spider 3 and it's amazing also i have a mesa triple rectifier with a 4x12 cabinet and that thing can cause earthquakes
what i did was stick with the **** until after b-day and xmas, and then get a amp + guitar

blackstar ht-5 would be good for you.,
its 5watt tube, but 5 isnt half of 10
in tube 5 is half of 50,
so it's loud...
you could even start smll - medium gigd un miced
and its aBOUT 300 eur
as for guitar, i like jacksons'
but my second guitar was an epiphone les paul standard,
swapped the pups for jb/jazz, and i still use it now.
Well... In my oppinion it depends. What do you want most, better tone or a guitar that's easier to play? People keep saying tone is all in the amp, but if you got a guitar that's a bitch to play on you won't sound too great either in my opinion...
I almost always recommend getting a new amp before getting a new guitar. And this situation gets the same vote from me as all the others.
Guitar.

Odds are with posting this question you arent good, and havent played long.

A nice amp will sound better, but you will still sound like **** on it. At least with a nice guitar, it will feel buttery, be easier to play, action wont suck, intonation wont suck, and it wont fall out of tune every 5 minutes.

Trust me, I bought my jackson when I still played on a 15w marshall practice amp. Best decision I ever made. Not only was it a pleasure to learn on back in the day, but I never had to upgrade, and loved what I played every day that I played it.

Believe me...nothing is worse than playing on a piece of **** guitar. Nothing.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels