Ok, I decided to ask the pit this because they come up with the best answers.
Did I really just type that?
One of my friends just got a drum set and is super psyched about it. So we made a "band" and we play together. The problem is he will only play songs he wants. And he only wants to play 2 1/2 songs. He only wants to play "They Say", and "Walking with a Ghost". He also will play "Smells like Teen Spirit" but he only wants to play the intro, chorus, then the slow part , and then go back to the slow part and repeat. No solo.The first time, I went into the part right after the chorus and he stopped playing and said:

Him: Hey man, what are you doing?
Me: Playing the song.
Him: We're not doing that part.
Me: You said you knew the whole song...
Him: No, I just meant those two parts. Do you want to play They Say?
Me: No.
Him: How about-
Me: No.

It might seem like I was being stubborn, but those were the only things we played for about 3 1/2 Hours, and I got tired of them pretty quick.

Any ideas to get him to open up his mind a little bit?

- ---------
-- --------
--- -------
---- ------
----- -----
------ ----
------- ---
-------- --
--------- -
Last edited by JacobLampman at Mar 19, 2009,
He just started playing. It's understandable. I mean, how many days did we all just want to keep playing smoke on the water for?
I told him that and he said "No man, we should do a cover first."

I agree with the Smoke on the Water thing, but he had them for about 2 weeks at that point. He won't even attempt to play other things.
- ---------
-- --------
--- -------
---- ------
----- -----
------ ----
------- ---
-------- --
--------- -
Decide together on a song for both of you to learn and play?
Quote by xander307
that wasnt scary daryldom, it turned me on

Proud Canadian Eh?
He needs to practise on his own first - it takes a while to learn songs regardless of the instrument or difficulty of the song.

Tell him simply that he'll never get any better as a drummer if he doesn't practise and try to improve on his weaknesses. Refuse to practise as a band until he learns AT LEAST one complete song.
Quote by frusciante_man1
cakemonster..you are truly my hero
HONK
Quote by DeSean
HONK!I like your cake.
Quote by olif8
And Cakeface, why didn't you sig my

HONK!

from that other thread?

Quote by LordBishek

I can't stand it any longer.

HONK

Honk if you love cake! HONK!!
I think he just needs time. Give him time and eventually he'll warm up to the idea.
Those are pretty simple drumming songs, and as you said he just started, when he gets better you can play better songs.
Congrats my friend, you have stumbled across a true drummer...welcome to the fine world of....BANDS!

enjoy
1. Slap him

2. let him practise.

3. play a cover song.

4. If it doesnt seem to work, repeat step 1.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
First I'd look for a way to help him out. Find scores for the songs you want to play. Get involved in his training. At least show some interest. Drumming is not as easy as it looks.

But if he keeps being an ass about it, try some reverse psychology on him. Something like:

"Ok, you only want to play the easy parts... that's fine. I understand you're just starting and it will take a while before you're confident enough to try a whole song. I knew a guy like you who also needed ages to mature. Very teadious, but hey, no pressure. Let me know when you've become good enough.".

Warning: this is not a nice thing to do. Don't abuse it.
Last edited by Withakay at Mar 19, 2009,
So I should slap him with my dick until he looks like this?
I will probably do what cakemonster/withakay said.
- ---------
-- --------
--- -------
---- ------
----- -----
------ ----
------- ---
-------- --
--------- -
I'd say... make up something that's totally different.
I'M BACK IN THE SADDLE
just jam n come up with a specific sound. i hate covers too cuz i feel by the time ive properly learnt one my band cudve come up with an original.