I have this Epiphone Strat I'm trying to fix but I just can't find out the main problem. At first when I plugged it into my amp it had no noise, so I did a little soldering. When I tried again it has noise but it cuts in and out. I touched the guitar jack and it seemed like that was it but, when I switch pickups with the selector that also seems to do it. When I do get sound I have to be perfectly still or it will fade out again. ANY ideas? I'm not a pro at soldering or anything so If I could get this thing up and running it would be a nice accomplishment for me.

Thanks.
Quote by Electric Eye
Epiphone Strat

Are you serious?

Edit: You are, I apologize, make sure its shielded, and grounded properly, that should take care of it
Last edited by Comrade Curry at Mar 19, 2009,
New switch and jack maybe?
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
My apologies also, didn't mean YOU are an ass personally just a little stressed. And I was hoping I wouldn't have to buy anything new but I guess I'm going to. Also, I saw some switches at Radio Shack/ The Source. Would they be the guitar ones, because they looked exactly like them.
Quote by Electric Eye
My apologies also, didn't mean YOU are an ass personally just a little stressed. And I was hoping I wouldn't have to buy anything new but I guess I'm going to. Also, I saw some switches at Radio Shack/ The Source. Would they be the guitar ones, because they looked exactly like them.

Yes, they simple mono jacks, so yea they're the right ones. To shield, just get some copper shielding tape, its not that expensive, like $5? and proper grounding only requires some wire.
Quote by Electric Eye
I'm just wondering though, what would not be properly soldered? The pickup to the volume or what?

Well it has a tremolo right? The ground wire, wherever it comes from should go to the tremolo spring claw, and be soldered on it, anywhere is fine really.
Solder joints sound weak, i would double check every wire connection, then check the wires for knicks, that could also do it.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Well either I'm completely stupid or the person before me was a moron. The ground wire, the one that comes off the metal clip that holds the springs right? It is soldered on the volume pot.
Quote by Electric Eye
Well either I'm completely stupid or the person before me was a moron. The ground wire, the one that comes off the metal clip that holds the springs right? It is soldered on the volume pot.

I'll admit I'm not an electronics whiz, but cool it on the name calling, yes thats where it goes, after looking at some diagrams and whatnot, if thats not your problem move on, It's probably not shielded, like I said, check that yet?
Don't call me buddy, Pal! Oh, I mean are you sure it's not the cable? If it aint the cable I'd clean up the jack or just replace it. Jacks are notorious for that kind of crap. The mono Shack jacks work fine. If it's not the cable or the jack...you've got a wire breaking loose. Do any of your pots spin when you turn the knob? Sometimes when, lets say, a volume pot mounting bolt comes loose the whole pot spins when you turn the knob and works the wire back and forth until one of the wires break off at the solder joint.