Hi everyone,

I've always been curious about it ... What is the "true" utility of a volume pedal ?

Is it possible to use it as some sort of power attenuator when turned down to drive a tube amp harder at bedroom levels for instance ? Kind of a "master volume"...?

What models should be recommanded ?

Thanks
Last edited by slappyx at Mar 19, 2009,
To get cool volume effects while playing. To drive a valve (tube) amp harder, use an overdrive. But then again, your idea might work.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
You won't be able to use a volume pedal to drive a valve amp harder in the way you're suggesting, sorry.

The volume pedal is most commonly used for swells, boosts, varied dynamics, as a replacement for the guitar volume, or as a replacement for the amp volume.
I prefer Ernie Ball Pedals and there are a few different uses.

Before the amp...
Acts like the volume on your guitar so you can do swells and so on.
Another way to mute everything

After the amp (effects loop)
Can be used to turn your amp into a master volume amp. Allows you to push the preamp tubes harder.
A good set it and forget it option. Set the volume on the amp to the desired volume and you can control it with your foot for solos or just as a ok all the way down is exactly 2 on the amp and so on.
And of coarse another way to mute everything.
Quote by Oosh.
To get cool volume effects while playing. To drive a valve (tube) amp harder, use an overdrive. But then again, your idea might work.

Yes I know how to use an overdrive pedal lol, but when there is no master volume on a 30w tube amp, it's hard to crank both gain and volume at the same time in the bedroom without killing everyone around...
So I was asking if it was possible to use it in the FX loop to turn down the global volume of the amp and thus turn up the volume knob to drive the amp more (when the gain is already maxed up for instance).
Quote by IbanezPsycho
I prefer Ernie Ball Pedals and there are a few different uses.

Before the amp...
Acts like the volume on your guitar so you can do swells and so on.
Another way to mute everything

After the amp (effects loop)
Can be used to turn your amp into a master volume amp. Allows you to push the preamp tubes harder.
A good set it and forget it option. Set the volume on the amp to the desired volume and you can control it with your foot for solos or just as a ok all the way down is exactly 2 on the amp and so on.
And of coarse another way to mute everything.

+10 e-cookies
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
As it placed before the power stage, I guess I wouldn't be able to push to power tubes at low volumes without a power attenuator isn't it ?

This is just made to push harder preamp tubes If I'm not mistaken...

Anyways with this and an OD pedal I think I'll be able to have enough gain at low levels ...
Quote by slappyx
As it placed before the power stage, I guess I wouldn't be able to push to power tubes at low volumes without a power attenuator isn't it ?

This is just made to push harder preamp tubes If I'm not mistaken...

Anyways with this and an OD pedal I think I'll be able to have enough gain at low levels ...

Correct, level to the power tubes is what creates them to saturate with a volume pedal you are taking away level. But the by product is you can set the amp volume to 6 or so forth which is throwing a ton more level to the preamps and causing them to saturate more and your catching it before it gets to the poweramps lowering the level down to a resonable level/volume.

I have used these trick for a while now on any amps I had that didnt have a poweramp and it works great to push things a bit harder at bedroom levels. And yes an OD pedal will help things quite a bit.
You can use it to control your gain when placed before a dirt box.
G&L Tribute S-500 -> Ernie Ball VP -> Boss SD-1 -> Fulltone OCD -> Small Stone Phaser -> Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo -> Boss DD-3 -> Boss RE-20 -> TC Electronic Hall of Reverb -> Boss RC-2 -------> Modded Crate v18 Amp

www.wearewerebear.com