Page 1 of 2
Does anyone know anything about this tax going in effect April 1st?

According to High Times, a local Wine Cellar and largest retail wine seller in the west, and smoke shop the tax on cigarettes will go up 300 percent of April 1st. 15bux a pack. Outrageous.

Reading more on this I'm finding numbers saying it will go up a dollar a pack.

Anyone notice the change in prices the past week or so? Does anyone know any more information than I do?
Quote by BR0KENHEARTED
Does anyone know anything about this tax going in effect April 1st?

Don't worry, just another prank.
15 for a pack of 20? April fool's prank, the Governator does at least have a sense of humour
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
$15 a pack? Holy SHIT.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
obvious fools day is obvious

P.S

You're ****ing up your lungs for nicotine? Im gonna smack you so hard with a bag of thc you won't be able to work at CVS for a year
Quote by vintage x metal
My toilet has seen some scenes that one would describe as 'deathcore'
i dont smoke, but here in nyc its already $10 a pack, so ya pretty much getting killed on 2 levels
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
Quote by manmanster
obvious fools day is obvious

P.S

You're ****ing up your lungs for nicotine? Im gonna smack you so hard with a bag of thc you won't be able to work at CVS for a year

agreed
weed >>>>> cigarettes
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
And I thought the $0.70 raise in Michigan was bad. Puts it right around $6.00-6.50 a pack.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Quote by silent caution
i dont smoke, but here in nyc its already $10 a pack, so ya pretty much getting killed on 2 levels

10bux a pack wow.

I know its probably April fools prank but I just read that a proposition was voted on last year to raise cigarettes 300% in price which was relative to the rumor I heard. So I got alarmed.
Quote by silent caution

It's about $11.50 for a pack of 20 over here.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by RPGoof
It's supposed to be going up to $9 a pack in April in Michigan, so I hear.
I think it's good; it'll help people stop smoking.

Spoken like a person who has never smoked in their life.

They're $4 a pack here. Sucks to be all of you. The obvious solution here is to stop complaining and be wise with your money and order them from esmokes.
You're*
People aren't going to stop until their wallets are empty, and smokers will always buy because of the bad addiction from it.
Wow, you're getting burned.
According to my converter (AKA calculator on my desk) we only pay $8.23 for a pack of 20.

Yay!!

And this is probably all an April Fool's joke, so don't panic.

Quote by RPGoof

You've never smoked before have you.
Increasing the prices of things doesn't reduce the number of people who buy it by much. I mean it will a bit, but not something this addictive.
Hence why people already buy them at these ridiculous prices, and will continue to do so
I hope it doesn't seem, like I'm young, foolish, and green.
Let me in for a minute, you're not my life but I want you in it

O Dayya, te echaré de menos, siempre

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Last edited by BlackLuster at Mar 19, 2009,
Cigarette taxes paid that sh!t:

...not related to California BUT related to cig taxes...
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
That is ridiculous, do they even realize how much smuggling will increase because of that? Yeah, it might stop a few people from smoking, but I bet a lot more will resort to illegally purchasing cigarettes or making interstate trips to stock on cheaper smokes. Overall, revenue will probably fall, illegal smuggling will increase and it will be the smugglers who gain the most from this.
One Sexy Canadian Man.

...and single too.
You have weed for Christ's sake, quit whining.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by Wulphy
You have weed for Christ's sake, quit whining.

like weed is cheaper than smoking cigs?? ok....
We just had it go up around a dollar here (Minnesota). Almost make you think of quitting, eh?
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
It's not being done to curb smoking; it's being done to help reduce the state's $40+ billion deficit. The state came within inches of having to shut down most of its government services, because all of the state's Republicans refused to raise any taxes. One finally caved in, though.
Quote by metalblaster
I've always seen people pay 10-15$ (at least) for a pack o'er here (canada).

Your taxes are much higher than in the US, what you would pay 10 for we would pay 3-5 for.
I'm Just a Box in a Cage
I'm Just a Box in a Cage
I'm Just a Box in a Cage
I'm Just a Box in a Cage
They all raised $1 in NY. The highest pack pack I've seen sold is about $7.15
BRIGHT LIGHTS PUT ME IN A TRANCE.
but it aint house music that makes me want to dance.
Prices already went up here in Mesa Arizona,
Marlboro are at 9 bucks a pack..
Last time I bought a pack of Malboro Reds over here it was like £5.80 which is apparently around $8.40 in the US. IMO that's a ridiculous price and people shouldn't be taxed on it to that extent.

Recently I've admitted defeat and started smoking Richmond Menthols, £4.90 a pack which is still pretty expensive but better for my wallet than Malboros.
Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty
Tokai LC53 Les Paul Custom
Tokai ALS48 Love Rock Les Paul Standard
Marshall DSL-50 Head
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
Quote by Spamwise
It's not being done to curb smoking; it's being done to help reduce the state's $40+ billion deficit. The state came within inches of having to shut down most of its government services, because all of the state's Republicans refused to raise any taxes. One finally caved in, though.

I just quit on tuesday cuz i had to pay 6 bucks for a pack here in cali. **** that ill just smoke more weed.....the only reason i quit was the price increase.....
Quote by thankyougermany
And I thought the $0.70 raise in Michigan was bad. Puts it right around $6.00-6.50 a pack.

I'd kill for smokes to be that cheap!
A good pack of 20 here is $7-8 cheapest.
that would suck. prices is MA are now $7.80 for Marlboro and supposed to go up again this summer to almost 9 bucks. I'm moving to california next year too, and i hoped i could escape high cig prices a bit. looks like i'm wrong. i'll just hafta quit haha.
Quote by Briyan_15
I think this man has a reputation to defend and "poop head" is not in that reputation.

Quote by omegasus
RUSSELL! WHAT THE ****!!!!
Quote by RPGoof
It's supposed to be going up to $9 a pack in April in Michigan, so I hear.

Raising taxes is a stupid way to get people to stop smoking. Unhealthy or not, they're still entitled to do it.

There was a vote to raise taxes on cigarettes within the last couple of years but it never passed. I'm pretty sure there hasn't been a vote since.
Maybe you should quit smoking and stop throwing your money away on something useless then.

There's absolutely no point in smoking except that everyone starts to 'look cool'.
I'm an ex smoker btw, I'm just giving my honest opinion on this.
Blimey. It's strange how medicinal cannabis is legal yet they're taxing cigarattes. Is rolling tobacco taxed too?
TS: When it says raise taxes by 300% that does not mean that they are going to raise the price of cigarettes by 300%. Assuming a pack of cigarettes was $6.00, and you paid a 60 cents tax on it, the tax would be tripled, not the overall cost of the cigarettes. So how you were seeing it, a pack would be $19.80 when honestly it is just $7.80.
There's something living in these lines.
Page 1 of 2