I recently bought a mini-strat (mini just for the novelty, didnt really need a new guitar) and decided I was going to customize this thing. I scalloped the fretboard and repainted it, and wanted to see what you guys thought:

On the scalloping I did it really deep because I thought it looked better. It took out the inlays it went so deep. No problem though, I went deep enough so that I went through half of the dot inlays on the side of the neck, so you can now see them as little white tabs on the top of the fretboard (its hard to see them in the pictures, most visibly on the 4th one). It turned out good, nice and smooth, after 10 hours of work in 1 sitting.

As far as painting, my dad gave me a hand with that in that he airbrushes, so I used that to my advantage. We first put on a base coat, followed by a coat of blue-silver. After that, he put on a think layer of dark-blue as I quickly followed with cellophane, dabbing the surface to give it a marbled effect. It came out really well, but it is hard so see in the pictures, but it is there. We used a clear coat that is normally used on cars (this body shop uses it on Ferrari's and such), that we got for 20$ a can, and the finish came out as smooth as my SG, no sanding/buffing needed.

There is one problem though. After I scalloped my fretboard I noticed an odd sound that came from my guitar when I played with distortion. It is probably always there, but I cant hear it unless im using distortion. It kind of sounds like when you are tuning using harmonics and they are out of phase, if you know what I am talking about. It does not happen on the high B or high E, and I cannot figure out what is causing it. I replaced the springs on my bridge and the screws to 1.5" screws, so that is DEFINATELY held down securely. If anyone knows what I could have messed up when scalloping or possibly when I reset the neck please let me know.

I plan to replace the tuners on this thing, as well as put the pickup from my ibanez in it, in order ot make room for a new dimarzio.

Sorry for the wall of text.

edit: oh and as a side note, the scalloping hasn't made playing any harder or easier, and I can still play chords just fine, despite the fact that the string tension is less because of the short scale, and im only using 9s, so that was a myth.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Last edited by sacamano79 at Mar 19, 2009,
Quote by Comrade Curry
That paint is sexy, very good job, and yes, that appears to be some abyssal Scalloping, used the scallop thread right?

na, I just looked up "how to scallop your fretboard" on youtube, it was pretty straight forward.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
That's a lot of money on a cheap guitar, would be interesting to see how it sounds, never played a guitar with scalloped frets, how does that work? Is it a case of pushing it right into the scallop ? Seems bit odd imo if i have it right
Manchester United
Quote by Shabalaba
That's a lot of money on a cheap guitar, would be interesting to see how it sounds, never played a guitar with scalloped frets, how does that work? Is it a case of pushing it right into the scallop ? Seems bit odd imo if i have it right

You have to play fairly lightly.
If you push too hard, your notes will be out of tune.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Shabalaba

my friends thought that it would be awkward too, but when they played it, they also found it wasnt that different. Chording is what is mostly different, but not harder necessarily, just feels different. Single note runs/solos are about the same. Sounds fine, and with a new pickup im hoping to get something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J-yCAW5aig

or better yet... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGl_-m8nPAw&feature=related
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by savage94
sweet! How much was it?

original guitar: 100$
scalloping materials: 20$
painting materials: 20$ (we already had the paint just needed the clear coat)
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
How the heck did you get that paint job?
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
^ Looks like a metal flake automotive paint.

Excellent work sir.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...
Quote by Sleaze Disease
You have to play fairly lightly.
If you push too hard, your notes will be out of tune.

Unless you have **** technique to start with, this is very difficult to do. you have to consciously push into the string.

The hardest part about the transition are slides and possibly legato. Everything else, especially vibrato, is sweet.
Nice paint job.

Not sure it is a true marbleiser paint, but the effect is obvious.

A couple of more coats of clear and a buff would do wonders for the finish.

If you carefully block sand it with wet P500 grit, then 3 more coats of clear, then wet sand that to 2000 and buff, you will have a suberb gloss.
Someone prolly already said it, but with scalloped fretboards, you need to have a much lighter touch. If you push down too hard--which may very well happen, without the fretboard stopping you--your notes will bend up in pitch and be out of tune.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Quote by Rebelw/outaCord
^ Looks like a metal flake automotive paint.

Excellent work sir.

exactly what it was

Not sure it is a true marbleiser paint, but the effect is obvious. A couple of more coats of clear and a buff would do wonders for the finish. If you carefully block sand it with wet P500 grit, then 3 more coats of clear, then wet sand that to 2000 and buff, you will have a suberb gloss.

yea, I did what I could with what I had. I would clear coat it more, but it was the last can of that clear coat in town, so it would be a hassle to find another can (not to mention another 20$). it could have been better, but im happy with the way it turned out

How the heck did you get that paint job?

its explained in the wall of text
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by BD 425
Someone prolly already said it, but with scalloped fretboards, you need to have a much lighter touch. If you push down too hard--which may very well happen, without the fretboard stopping you--your notes will bend up in pitch and be out of tune.

FFS I have a scalloped fretboard and my touch was already light enough without scallops.

If you are pushing your strings hard enough down that the strings touch the fretboard under normal conditions, you have awful technique. Your fingers should only just, or not, touch the fretboard. The strings shouldn't even come close.

Seriously, they look pretty average, but they are great to play.
yea I think that it is a myth that it takes concentration to not play too hard, the first time I played it I had no problem with it, just playing it normally.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Aye all this talk about pressing too hard on a scalloped boards is obviously coming from people who have A) never played scalloped fingerboards, or B) the worst technique imaginable. I've been playing scalloped fingerboards almost exclusively for over 3 years, and you would have to have a complete death-grip-vice-ape-man-beast technique to bend the strings out of pitch by pressing too hard on a scalloped fingerboard.

If anyone bends strings out of tune on a scalloped fingerboard, their technique is simply horrid.

Moving on then; I absolutely LOVE the deep scallops you did! I'm a scalloped fingerboard nut, and I'm a big fan of deeper ones. Honestly, we have to admit that you only really need a little shallow scallop to make sure your fingers never touch the board, but those deep scallops just look way better!

Cool paint job too, this is definitely an awesome mod project!

Quote by lumberjack

Moving on then; I absolutely LOVE the deep scallops you did! I'm a scalloped fingerboard nut, and I'm a big fan of deeper ones. Honestly, we have to admit that you only really need a little shallow scallop to make sure your fingers never touch the board, but those deep scallops just look way better!

Cool paint job too, this is definitely an awesome mod project!

Thanks for the compliments! Yea the deep scalloping is just for looks, but it is pretty sweet.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
scalloping looks awsome man.
Quote by maiden03
Ahhh damn you vinc3nt!

Downpressor man

Where you gonna run to

All along that day

੧_\\\
this thread is really great guys! i've never een heard of scalloping before today so thanks!
I'm glad he bumped it. I would've missed this gem if it wasn't for him. That's an awesome looking guitar. The finish is great and the deep scallops look amazing. I would've never guessed that this was your first scalloping and finishing job. Looks like it's worth a lot more than $140, but I'm sure it's priceless for you.
Argh Stupid Bump Monkeys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My Rig:
American Standard Telecaster
Fender Starcaster
Sp. Edition Jack Daniels Strat (Modded)
Vox AC15CC1

Stuff I've Built:
Telecaster Deluxe
Telecaster Junior
Pedalboard (from a shelf )
the odd pedal