what are the difference between the two. are there any advantages/disadvantages between them and how do you tell them apart?
you dont have to google everthing in life. its good to interact. before long people will forget that.
Quote by alktone
you dont have to google everthing in life. its good to interact. before long people will forget that.

Just google it.
ಠ_ಠ
It was necessary to spell the thread's title like that?
Quote by The Spoon
I think this man wins the thread.

Quote by ZeGuitarist
We have a winner.
Quote by alktone

Makes it easier on everyone
GEAR:
Washburn WI64DL Idol
Squier HELLO KITTY STRAT
Ibanez GRG270
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Microcube
To give an actual answer in this thread, generally active pickups have a more distorted metal like tone but you sacrfice nice warm cleans. Also they run on batteries and those need to be changed every once in a while. Passives are usually better on cleans but not always they also dont require rewiring when you switch passives for passives.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by alktone
damn...... you kids just dont get it.. do you?

Kids nowdays are lazy, they expect to get all there life information through little words on a computer screen, where thus most information on the internet is misleading and can lead to an unrealistic way of interacting with others. Its a shame really, anyways what Lethal Dosage said is correct so +3 for him, 1 for because hes right and 2 because he actually answered your thread with a REAL answer
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
Quote by Lethal Dosage
To give an actual answer in this thread, generally active pickups have a more distorted metal like tone but you sacrfice nice warm cleans. Also they run on batteries and those need to be changed every once in a while. Passives are usually better on cleans but not always they also dont require rewiring when you switch passives for passives.
That's... quite wrong actually.

There is nothing about active pickups that lets them have a more heavily distorted tone than passive pickups. In fact it's possible to get passive pickups with much higher output than active pickups, and so there are passive pickups capable of much harsher overdrive than actives.
However, active pickups have minimal noise, which allows you to risk whacking your gain control up a tiny bit higher without generating so much background noise. The payoff for this is you lose some of the responsiveness of the pickup, and if your amp isn't naturally high-gain then the extra noise reduction of the active pickups won't be giving you anything, they will only be reducing the responsiveness of your playing.

Basically in short; if you have to ask about active pickups, then they're not right for you. The only people who will benefit from active pickups are those people with full professional rigs who already know all the benefits and disadvantages.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Why is that wherever I go MrFlibble has a amazing and detailed answer?
Quote by The Spoon
I think this man wins the thread.

Quote by ZeGuitarist
We have a winner.
Quote by tsukoyomimoon
Why is that wherever I go MrFlibble has a amazing and detailed answer?

+1. really. i wanna know... I bet he gets annoyed and pissed off that he has to write an essay for everyone's questions...
Quote by alktone
damn...... you kids just dont get it.. do you?

ThAtS R3aL1Y R1cH c0Mm1n6 Fr0m 7h£ 6uY 7hA7 Wr173s L1k3 7h1S
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by rancidryan
ThAtS R3aL1Y R1cH c0Mm1n6 Fr0m 7h£ 6uY 7hA7 Wr173s L1k3 7h1S

thats, hella ****ed up.........but i can read it atleast
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell