Page 1 of 2
Ok so I was REALLY bored and I thought I would start a new silly thread....
So as a guitarist what brand of strings do you prefer? Ernie Balls, D'adario or any other brand!?
Quote by bulldozerbob
I think someone stole my Yu-Hi-Oh cards from my class draw when I was little.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm homophobic. I can't stand gays.
My favourite strings are "Search Bars."
They're a pretty unknown brand, which is a shame because more people need to start using them because this thread has been done so many times.

Personally I think Rotosounds sound the best, but they last me about a day so I use Ernie Balls, which are a good compromise.
D'Addarios .11

and searchbar
Quote by The Spoon
I think this man wins the thread.

Quote by ZeGuitarist
We have a winner.
Quote by tsukoyomimoon
D'Addarios .11

me too.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by Rock Pig
They're a pretty unknown brand, which is a shame because more people need to start using them because this thread has been done so many times.

Agreed. I didn't think they'd be any good when I tried them, but I'm glad I took that guy here's recommendation on them. That set of Search Ba-Okay, I think I killed that joke. ><

Anyway, personally I love Elixir's, .09s on my strat and .10's on my PRS copy. Thinking of bumping each up a gauge though.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Quote by necrosis1193
Agreed. I didn't think they'd be any good when I tried them, but I'm glad I took that guy here's recommendation on them. That set of Search Ba-Okay, I think I killed that joke. ><

Way to over egg the pastry

Quote by necrosis1193
Anyway, personally I love Elixir's, .09s on my strat and .10's on my PRS copy. Thinking of bumping each up a gauge though.

Elixirs feel so fantastic under the fingers. In particular, they slide beautifully.
And you should totally string your strat up with chunky strings; that's how my favourite Strat tones came about (Jimi and Stevie)
Ernie ball power slinkys 11-48 work the best for me and they stay in tune well
I prefer strings that have been sat on a guitar for a few days I dno why but when there straight out of the pack they sound tinny
Dean Markley Blue Steel 10-46 ont he Gibson (or any six-string I own, for that matter) Ernie Ball Slinky's 7-String for the (you guessed it) seven string.
Don't care how many times this has been said but... SEARCH BAR! FOR **** SAKE!!!
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone G-400
Cheap acoustic

Roland Cube 30X
USA Big Muff PI
Dunlop Crybaby Wah GCB-95
I use the Ernie Ball bottom heavy strings, thicker strings for chording, and I can solo on the higher strings without tearing my fingers apart
GEAR:
Washburn WI64DL Idol
Squier HELLO KITTY STRAT
Ibanez GRG270
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Microcube
Dean markley Blue steel
Last edited by SGPOWER at Mar 19, 2009,
Is not being susceptible to immense pain form thicker strings a genetic thing? I only ask because I've noticed on several occasions that people say using thick strings hurts when they solo, or just play in general, yet I've never once experienced this problem in all the time I've been playing guitar, outside of the blisters I had when I first started. =/

Quote by SGPOWER
Bob markley Blue steel

You'd better be ****ing kidding about the first name of that string brand, boyo
Last edited by [VictorinoX] at Mar 19, 2009,
I use the Ernie Ball bottom heavy strings, thicker strings for chording, and I can solo on the higher strings without tearing my fingers apart
GEAR:
Washburn WI64DL Idol
Squier HELLO KITTY STRAT
Ibanez GRG270
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Microcube
Quote by PREQUEL2SEQUEL

You just posted this, not five minutes ago.
Skinny Top Heavy Bottoms
My Gear
ESP EX-400
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Alpine White
Peavey Valveking 112
Electro-harmonix Metal Muff with Top Boost
Mogami Cables
Dunlop Tortex Orange .60mm Picks
DiMarzio Cliplock Strap
Quote by tsukoyomimoon
D'Addarios .11

and searchbar

This. The jazz/blues rock ones.

And for acoustic, D'Addario Phosphor Bronze Lights
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Rock Pig

Personally I think Rotosounds sound the best, but they last me about a day so I use Ernie Balls, which are a good compromise.

First thing that came to my mind when I saw the title...
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50
People get pissed at me because I use multiple gauges on my two electrics and classical.

I have misplaced the set of D'addarios that I was planning on restringing my classical with soon (the strings on that old Guild are at least 20 years old).

On my Squier Stratocaster (which plays better than a lot of Fenders if I might add) has .11's on the highest (pitchwise) 3 strings. It has a set of .09's for the lowest three.

On my Les Paul, I have .09's and I'm planning on moving up to .08's soon.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Quote by Junnage

On my Les Paul, I have .09's and I'm planning on moving up to .08's soon.

.08's would be moving down.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by mikeyElite
.08's would be moving down.

Please don't be a grammar nazi. It's an expression. I know I'm technically moving them down a gauge. I think up as in terms of numbers going to 0.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Quote by Junnage
Please don't be a grammar nazi. It's an expression. I know I'm technically moving them down a gauge. I think up as in terms of numbers going to 0.

It makes so much sense to go against the grain with a hobby where communication and clarity is absolutely imperative, AMIRITE?!
DR 11-52

Best I've used so far
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
Quote by TheBodomBullet
DR 11-52

Best I've used so far

I have to second this.

I play both my guitars fairly equally and the DR's on my Ibanez sounded better longer than the D'Addarios on my LTD.

Im not really happy with D'Addario anymore.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
I don't know for brand really. i try all sorts. I'm using some strange flatwound 12.s on my jazz box now and 10s on my prs and 10s on my other guitar only to avoid setting it up differently. I got 12s on my acoustic too

Thicker feels nicer to play on and sounds better.
Quote by The Clerk
I don't know for brand really. i try all sorts. I'm using some strange flatwound 12.s on my jazz box now and 10s on my prs and 10s on my other guitar only to avoid setting it up differently. I got 12s on my acoustic too

+1
I mean DR strings are handmade (in my state about like an hour away at that) and idk if that's the factor but DR's feel so much different than any other set of strings I've tried and in a GREAT way.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
D'Addarrio 10's. Whaat kind of differences if I move to 11's?
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Im a fan of Dunlop mediums.
"Music is felt through our soul, not heard with our ears" - Sully Erna

Current Gear:
Ibanez SR755 5-string bass
Acoustic B10 amplifier
Line 6 POD UX1
Quote by madh4ttr
D'Addarrio 10's. Whaat kind of differences if I move to 11's?

uh...

Quote by LoweRider
Im a fan of Dunlop mediums.

NO

BURN THE INFIDEL!

Lol but seriously I tried those and felt like a baby put those together. Maybe i got a faulty pack but they refused to stay in tune (e standard) until my high e snapped. On top of sounding a little too punchy for me I never got them again lol
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Last edited by TheBodomBullet at Mar 21, 2009,
Quote by TheBodomBullet
uh...

NO

BURN THE INFIDEL!

Lol but seriously I tried those and felt like a baby put those together. Maybe i got a faulty pack but they refused to stay in tune (e standard) until my high e snapped. On top of sounding a little too punchy for me I never got them again lol

lol.

I like the tone they give me. Dunlop has awesome product quality.

I think Im gonna try out some GHS Boomers or Elixirs next tho, I want to find that perfect string :p but so far, I've tried D'Addario and Dunlop, and Dunlop is the leader so far.
"Music is felt through our soul, not heard with our ears" - Sully Erna

Current Gear:
Ibanez SR755 5-string bass
Acoustic B10 amplifier
Line 6 POD UX1
Quote by The Clerk

Sounds better, yes, but feels? I can understand that .009s can feel like toys to some people but it doesn't feel nice having a 0.012 set cut into your fingers during a big bend at a lower fret position. Actually it feels downright painful; I drew blood doing this with the 0.013s on my friend's jazzbox. Couldn't even bloody play for a week or two ._.
Page 1 of 2