So today when I walked home, I went past this Red Cross shop and when just looking through the window for a second i saw a guitar.

So I had to go in, this is a place where old people buy stuff and drink coffee and stuff, so i pick up this Telecaster that looks rather messed up and I was told that I could get it for about 80 Dollars.

As i always wanted a telecaster i bought it :love:

My current plans:

Sand down Body and neck.
Repaint body and refinish the neck.
Order a new pickguard.
Order new pups.

Im going to use the American Deluxe Telecaster as my "template", with a 3 color burst, rosewood fretboard and white pickguard (Or maybe one of those with diffrent colors).

This is how it looked before pulling everything apart

In pieces

The headstock had the name "Texas" on it.

Body + Neck:

Dents in the back

Somebody tried to do a relic:

Im going to post alot of pictures as this thread goes on, gonna start the sanding process on the neck now and ill try to update later. :thu:

Update #1:

Neck is sanded down and is veeery smoth now.

Last edited by Zapher at Mar 19, 2009,
nice...i really dig it. cant wait to find a tele or strat in that shape for cheap.
Gear:
Orange Rockerverb 100
Orange 4x12
Standard Tele
Ltd EC-400
Boss Super Chorus
Cry Baby
15" MacBook Pro
Akai MPD 24
I also sanded down the front of the body and like 50% of the back. (All by hand )
As you can see its not the ideal for a sunburst, so i have to think about a new color.

Here you got a picture of the body with the neck.

And here is a closeup of the headstock. (Put the tuners there temp.)

Im thinking of doing the body white or black with red tortoise pickguard instead of the 3 tone sunburst.
Tomorrow i will finish the sanding of the body and this time im gonna use a mask.
I believe Texas guitars brand new actually sell for around 130 dollars. They're China made, but I haven't actually played one, so I couldn't tell you if they're any good or not. There's a supplier in Sweden that sells lots of Texas guitars....
Maybe a butterscotch or seafoam green on this one?
Quote by Dreamality
I believe Texas guitars brand new actually sell for around 130 dollars. They're China made, but I haven't actually played one, so I couldn't tell you if they're any good or not. There's a supplier in Sweden that sells lots of Texas guitars....
Maybe a butterscotch or seafoam green on this one?

Yeah ive seen some on GMF.se , It acually sounded pretty good when i tested it earlier.
But i think it will be alot better with some new Fender pickups.

Thanks alot for those tips on the color, I like both alot
But as it was Blonde from the start, I might take a look at the seafoam green color, or maybe the Surf Green.

Max
I vote stencil.

Find a kickass stencil and customize the living hell outta this thing.
------

Shwiggity.
You should paint it up like Hendrix's Monterey Pop Festival strat... that'd look so cool on a tele.

As far as the butterscotch idea, I don't really think it looks that great with a rosewood boarded tele. The 3-tone sunburst will look killer with the white guard and rosewood board, though.

Seafoam Green... on a tele?

Also, I'd suggest checking out Duncans, as well as the Fender pickups, to see if you can't find the EXACT pups you want. What kind of tone do you want out of this? Like a hot, snappy Esquier sound? Some chickin'pickin tones? Good, open jangle? Really depends on what you want from it. But, Duncan's pickups can get you some AMAZING tonal variety or AMAZING vintage tones. Although, my understanding is: the Fender Nocasters are the end-all 51' tele sounding pickups.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Quote by Thomme
You should paint it up like Hendrix's Monterey Pop Festival strat... that'd look so cool on a tele.

As far as the butterscotch idea, I don't really think it looks that great with a rosewood boarded tele. The 3-tone sunburst will look killer with the white guard and rosewood board, though.

Seafoam Green... on a tele?

Also, I'd suggest checking out Duncans, as well as the Fender pickups, to see if you can't find the EXACT pups you want. What kind of tone do you want out of this? Like a hot, snappy Esquier sound? Some chickin'pickin tones? Good, open jangle? Really depends on what you want from it. But, Duncan's pickups can get you some AMAZING tonal variety or AMAZING vintage tones. Although, my understanding is: the Fender Nocasters are the end-all 51' tele sounding pickups.

I want to get that really crystal clean twangy sound, as this is mostly gonna be my Blues/Classic Rock guitar.

The problem with the sunburst is that the body got dents into the wood that i can't repair with just sanding.
Quote by deftonesordie
I vote stencil.

Find a kickass stencil and customize the living hell outta this thing.

+infinity.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Quote by Zapher
I want to get that really crystal clean twangy sound, as this is mostly gonna be my Blues/Classic Rock guitar.

The problem with the sunburst is that the body got dents into the wood that i can't repair with just sanding.

The Duncan 5-2's or their Alnico 5 standards would be a good choice, then.
Thanks Thomme for the recomendation.

Im not into stencils on guitars alot (sorry guys!) more into those classic fender colors.
Clean and simple!

But some psycadelic stencils could do (When you say stencils i think of the Joe Strummer guitar).
I'm a man of simple taste. I vote white body, black burst, transparent pickguard.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
I have now decided to go with a blackburst with a black pickguard
Something like this.

The one to the right.

Also does anybody know how to get that Fender finish on my neck?
Not the fretboard, but the back and the headstock.
Last edited by Zapher at Mar 20, 2009,
Quote by Zapher
I have now decided to go with a blackburst with a black pickguard
Something like this.

The one to the right.

Also does anybody know how to get that Fender finish on my neck?
Not the fretboard, but the back and the headstock.

meh. looks whack. i say just do a solid color.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I don't know, it looks cool. Very untraditional, which I'm not too keen on, but it does look good. I would personally prefer one of the old "car colors" like Candy Apple Red or the sunburst, but that black burst does look sexy.
you say you cant do the sunburst but you can do the black burst ? im confused!!!