I've been singing for a while now, but I decided I needed to learn to play. It will be much easier writing songs on my own time. I need a good amp to learn on though. My budget is 300$ new or used. Thanks
Vox Valvetronix if you're into blues/rock, Roland Cube if you liek teh metalz.

And welcome to the world of guitar. I did it the opposite to you; I started singing after I took up guitar, put it down for a few years and picked it back up when I started writing my own songs.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
yeah, sorry, obviously shouldve included that. i got an epi zakk wylde les paul. i will be learning anything from hard rock to metal
Peavey Vypyr or Roland Cube, either the Cube 30 or the Vypyr 30.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
By the way, when you go to the store, if one of the employees smells noob, you are going to be pushed toward a wall of shiny knobs and blinking lights and line 6 badges. you will be told that those amps are awesome. they are not. here's what you are to do: tell the salesman to blow it out his ass.

and if he takes you to the other side of that wall, where they keep they shiny gold and black MGs, punch him in the face.

you'll get much better sales advice.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
By the way, when you go to the store, if one of the employees smells noob, you are going to be pushed toward a wall of shiny knobs and blinking lights and line 6 badges. you will be told that those amps are awesome. they are not. here's what you are to do: tell the salesman to blow it out his ass.

and if he takes you to the other side of that wall, where they keep they shiny gold and black MGs, punch him in the face.

hah, alright thanks a lot!
peavey vypyr is the way to go, not only will it give you great tone for the price but some good features too.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Blackheart Little Giant Ministack or Combo, I would go for the Ministack myself.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by theoreticmusic

Lol they still try to push you regardless of the noob smell or not. Anytime I go there there like hey check out this spider even after they know im running a tube halfstack

I would love to see there 5 step of selling documentation

1. Ask them how there day is and what you can do for them (do this while herding them to the spiders)
2. Lean on spider and say really well I know of a great amp that will fit your needs
3. Tell them to hold on while you look for them a guitar (Always pick a guitar 5 times more expensive then the amp so they take there mind off how bad the amp sounds)
4. Compliment them on how good the amp sounds and there playing (even if horrible)call over other employees so they can compliment him
5. Tell him that this is your top selling amp and even the pros use line 6 products (never say spider because that would be false always say line 6 then your not lying)

Sale complete take money and bonus commision from a sale well done...
haha, great posts. Yeah go for the vypyr, great modelling amp. Prolly the 15.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Either the aforementioned Vypr, or a Roland Cube (just not the cube 15 )
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I have been playing guitar for a year now, and I got a cheap epiphone les paul last year but the amp I have for it is really sucky. I really want a new amp, just something bigger and better, any suggestions for something $300-$500? Perferably with a footswitch.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Lol they still try to push you regardless of the noob smell or not. Anytime I go there there like hey check out this spider even after they know im running a tube halfstack

I would love to see there 5 step of selling documentation

1. Ask them how there day is and what you can do for them (do this while herding them to the spiders)
2. Lean on spider and say really well I know of a great amp that will fit your needs
3. Tell them to hold on while you look for them a guitar (Always pick a guitar 5 times more expensive then the amp so they take there mind off how bad the amp sounds)
4. Compliment them on how good the amp sounds and there playing (even if horrible)call over other employees so they can compliment him
5. Tell him that this is your top selling amp and even the pros use line 6 products (never say spider because that would be false always say line 6 then your not lying)

Sale complete take money and bonus commision from a sale well done...

Missed a step after 3....
4. Take guitar and show the customer how easily squealies (ph) can be attained, and how freaking cool you can look doing them.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I'd say check out ebay, it's worth looking for a good tube amp combo that could be going cheap. I've had a few bargins on ebay so make sure you look first. I remember i bought my vox valvetronix then looked on ebay a month or so later and found out there were plenty of nicer amps going for around the same price i paid. So just make sure you look around first and if you can , play first.