Page 1 of 2
I've never watched the show, but saw a bunch of news about it and I must say, I was thoroughly impressed. I'm a huge Jeff Buckley fan and I absolutely love singers who have amazing range and control. I think it's one of the best performances on that show. Of course, Simon Cowell said it was awful, but that just goes to show you how ignorant the musical mainstream is.

Anybody else see this? If so, what did you think about it?

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b104964_american_idol_burned_by_ring_of_fire.html
Quote by RU Experienced?
Well, unless you're playing guitar by thrashing your dick around the strings I see no application of guitar technique to sex.

My band, Two Days In February
LOL

I don't watch American Idol, but this rendition kind of stood out and it's like Kashmir and the said song mixed in some horrid way.

Sorry, but I don't like it...
MY EAAARRRRSSSS!!!!!! what the hell has he done to this song!?!?!
I Won't Let This Build Up Inside Of Me

Quote by FFTLxx

muhat gandy
+Sideways 8

Well thats me set ^^
MY GOD

:cries:

also he looks like a more emo'd out jared leto...

johnny cash has risen from the grave to kill this man
Quote by filthandfury
What if I accidentally wee in her?

When I arrive will God be waiting and pacing around his throne?
Will he feel a little Old Testament?
And will he celebrate with fire and brimstone
Yeah, I admit, I am afraid of the reckoning
Last edited by DrPepper09 at Mar 19, 2009,
I didn't like the end. At all. Maybe Simon just didn't like it either?
Quote by bizkitday4eva
You know suicide is just as bad as killing yourself

Taco Man of the Jhonen Vasquez/Invader Zim Club. PM HolyWars90 to join
He looks gay.

And I was hoping it would be a Johnny Cash cover
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Quote by FloyDZeD
He looks gay.

And I was hoping it would be a Johnny Cash cover

It was a Johnny Cash cover
Quote by RU Experienced?
Well, unless you're playing guitar by thrashing your dick around the strings I see no application of guitar technique to sex.

Quote by ASITHOS
It was a Johnny Cash cover

Well, the lyrics, maybe.
Quote by Tire Me.
Raping her in front of other people would be morally wrong.

Quote by Bubbles516
wtf290 uses make bubbles feel like crap
Its super effective!
Quote by wtf290
Well, the lyrics, maybe.

Covers aren't meant to be exact copies of the original, they're meant to be the artist's interpretation of a previously created work.
Quote by RU Experienced?

i loved it
A Celebration For The Death Of Man...

Quote by Madison Perella

Thats not even sensible I base myself like this I like power I don't understand emotion. Knowledge is key and fire pokemon own.

I don't really think its fair to say you want him to die... Jesus it was just a song.

And why are you guys knocking his looks and saying he looks gay.... its not a straight guy dressing contest, its about voice. I'm sure if you guys were on tv people would have quite a few things to say about how you dress no matter what you wear.

I didn't like it, but I do think he is a talented singer and I like the "Satisfaction" cover he did.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
I saw the show and hated. Probably also due to the fact that he just seems like the type of person I would really hate.
Quote by MonsterBeast
i liked it johnny cash originally sang it june carter wrote it but the guy he was singing like was jeff buckley

Exactly. Of course, I doubt Jeff Buckley (or anyone in the same vein) gets much credit on a forum filled with 15 year-old metalheads.
Quote by RU Experienced?

Last edited by ASITHOS at Mar 19, 2009,
Quote by ASITHOS
Covers aren't meant to be exact copies of the original, they're meant to be the artist's interpretation of a previously created work.

Well, yeah.
This particular interpretation sounds terrible. It just doesn't work with the song, or the lyrics, specifically.
That being said, he doesn't have a bad voice. Gives off an aura of douchebaggedness, though.
I used particular twice.
Quote by Tire Me.
Raping her in front of other people would be morally wrong.

Quote by Bubbles516
wtf290 uses make bubbles feel like crap
Its super effective!
that video made me think of Boy George for some reason

edit: i thought the beginning was interesting, i didn't particularly like it, but the way he made it a little darker was somewhat interesting. After that it all went downhill for me.
Quote by me_llamo_juan
^You're awesome.

Quote by gtmustang2006
Listen to RageAgnstUrJaw.

"I've wronged you, and steal everything from the truth,
Can we find ourselves, walking through a field with no solitude,
The pain goes on."
Last edited by RageAgnstUrJaw at Mar 19, 2009,
Quote by wtf290
Well, yeah.
This particular interpretation sounds terrible. It just doesn't work with the song, or the lyrics, specifically.
That being said, he doesn't have a bad voice. Gives off an aura of douchebaggedness, though.
I used particular twice.

All a matter of opinion I guess.
Quote by RU Experienced?

I couldn't even make it to the end of the video, that was unbelievably terrible.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I don't think the vocals suited the arrangement that much at points. An intresting interpretation though
Quote by Trefellin

Johnny Cash says, "WTF is this shit?!"

That pretty much covers it

I'm only listening to it because I want to see how much worse it can get.

>.>
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Trefellin

Johnny Cash says, "WTF is this shit?!"

I love you.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
i actually liked it better than the original

Quote by Killian5-0
I was looking at a friend of mines baby that was just born and I said "He's younger than me"

Quote by Rocker_geek
nexteyenate you win
Linux
Quote by Rege Satanas
thats nowhere near as good as this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXIVe0Jq12U

Is it just me or does every single pseudo-gangster person who wants to get famous have people following them?
Him, Soulja Boy, Tracy Jordan... they all have people constantly following them for no reason.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
I was not a big fan, I didn't think that his singing style suited the song very well at all, and I'm also not very fond of wailing like that.
Quote by ASITHOS
Exactly. Of course, I doubt Jeff Buckley (or anyone in the same vein) gets much credit on a forum filled with 15 year-old metalheads.

but Jeff Buckley's music is much more saddening & smooth than Ring of Fire, Johnny Cash's version is powerful song that requires someone to kind of attack it and have fun, not try to make it smooth. You can't sing a song that has always been done powerful and fun and try to make it a depressing piece... it just doesn't work out well. Its like trying to play a solo in d minor when the song is in d major; You can do whatever you want, but be expected to have fiery bits of poo heading your way.
Quote by filthandfury
What if I accidentally wee in her?

When I arrive will God be waiting and pacing around his throne?
Will he feel a little Old Testament?
And will he celebrate with fire and brimstone
Yeah, I admit, I am afraid of the reckoning
Page 1 of 2