Hey EG forum, I'm looking into getting a good strat, to replace my fender MIM one.

I'm thinking I want something like a G & L, not an american fender. I'm thinking I can get a better guitar for the same price because it doesn't say fender on the headstock.

What other GOOD strat copy's are there besides G & L?

I'm looking to spend around as much as an american strat, so around the $1200 dollar mark.

Any suggestions on which guitar would fit?
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Fret King Green Label Coronas are bloody fantastic and you can probably take advantage of our measly currency and bag one for a great price.
Quote by Rock Pig
Fret King Green Label Coronas are bloody fantastic and you can probably take advantage of our measly currency and bag one for a great price.

ouch, 1400 euros

That's $2300 cnd, which is slightly over my budget
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by BMP
Carvin are pretty good, check them out

Theyre VERY good. My buddy has one. Pickups sound amazing, no need for a setup, very versatile. Theyre harder to find, and he said he had to get his ordered straight from Carvin. They have nice amps too
What about a Chinese Fender strat although thats not really wot you asked 4.

Im interested to know why you are relpacing a $650 -700 fender MIM with a fender copy of
the same price......???

Oh i did have an AMAZING fender strat copy. Great value...... It was a Tanglewood strat copy. $300.
Quote by Slaveaway
Im interested to know why you are relpacing a $650 -700 fender MIM with a fender copy of
the same price......???

You must have misread my post, or I wrote it with poor grammar

I was going to sell my MIM and get an MIA, but I'm thinking for the same price as an MIA I could get a better strat because it doesn't say fender.
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by danyellenik
You must have misread my post, or I wrote it with poor grammar

I was going to sell my MIM and get an MIA, but I'm thinking for the same price as an MIA I could get a better strat because it doesn't say fender.

Oh, my mistake..... yes replace it with a $1200 guitar...... I understand what your getting at now....

My question still applies although on reading your post again I believed you have already answered it....

Thats an interesting take on buying guitars........ The thing is an American strat is a great guitar....... i mean i dont think I would beneift from having a better guitar than a american strat.... infact are there ANY strat copys that are better than the american strat?

are there ANY guitars better than an american strat???

Look into Tokai, the 80's models, bacchus strats, edwards and jap fenders from the 80's. They would be alternatives to a modern day american Fender. All would be good, like you really cant go wrong with an American Strat or the jap alts.

Bacchus strat:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Bacchus-Japan-ST-62-Birdseye-maple-San-burst-expensive_W0QQitemZ230255244511QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Other bacchus Models
http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_nkwZbacchusQ20guitarQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZR40QQ_mdoZ

etc.

I personally go for bacchus. Amazing quality guitars and they give fender a run.
Last edited by False_God at Mar 19, 2009,
Quote by danyellenik

For that price-$1200 roughly- there is no Strat better than an MIA

Carvin will work but if you're looking to spend the same price as an MIA, get an MIA. The MIMs are replaceable by other similar strats that dont say Fender, but when an MIA says Fender, its the real deal
Blade Guitars

I tried these out at my local shop last weekend and I thought they were pretty nice. They were selling for about $1000 CDN, and they've got some nifty little features like a boost switch and the truss rod is supposedly easier to adjust. I'd look into getting one a little more if I wasn't in the middle of a project guitar right now.

That being said, I love my American Standard.
Quote by Slaveaway

Thats an interesting take on buying guitars........ The thing is an American strat is a great guitar....... i mean i dont think I would beneift from having a better guitar than a american strat.... infact are there ANY strat copys that are better than the american strat?

are there ANY guitars better than an american strat???

At the price point if you want a strat an MIA Standard is the best "Strat" you can buy.

However, if money is no object I'd opt for a Suhr classic-bodied model or a Tom Anderson Pro Am.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
My local music store has a few G&L guitars that are absolute sex. No strats, but a couple telecasters-one solidbody, one semihollow and a Will Ray signature tele, as well as a G&L bass. Apparently the company was started by Leo Fender after he sold Fender, and the guitars at my local store are better than a lot of fenders I've played. Granted, I haven't played an Eric Johnson signature strat, but G&L guitars are amazing for the price.
Studies show that 89.27% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
Quote by worton
who is 'EG'

electric guitar forum lol

Well thanks for the suggestions, I've found a couple brands I've never heard of and thanks to whoever posted the blade guitars!

I've tried a blade tele a couple months back and it was amazing, but I couldn't remember the name of the company.
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
What about buying an early 1980s Smith Strat I? They are routinely on eBay for about $800-1200 depending on quality and condition. In fact, occasionally you can even find a 1979-80 Strat in natural finish for about that price. Maybe a more vintage guitar would be a better choice?
1999 Gibson LP R9
2006 Tele John Cruz Masterbuilt
2007 MIA Strat Sunburst
2008 PRS SC-J Thinline Black Cherry/Bigsby (for sale)
2009 Zerberus Hydra II
2009 Custom Red Strat

Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Quote by jcoley2
What about buying an early 1980s Smith Strat I? They are routinely on eBay for about $800-1200 depending on quality and condition. In fact, occasionally you can even find a 1979-80 Strat in natural finish for about that price. Maybe a more vintage guitar would be a better choice?

a 1979 strat for around $1000? That would be nice

I'll have to keep my eyes open and check around

What's a smith strat? *googles*
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Do they really count as copies, seeing as leo fender makes them?
Quote by danyellenik
ouch, 1400 euros

That's $2300 cnd, which is slightly over my budget

Really?
I thought they'd be cheaper.
I dunno, if that's the case then they probably don't have one at your price point, but give the Blue Label Coronas a try just in case they have what you're after despite their origins.
Quote by danyellenik
a 1979 strat for around $1000? That would be nice

I'll have to keep my eyes open and check around

What's a smith strat? *googles*

Smith Strat refers to those Strats that were produced starting in 1981 when Dan Smith returned. Do not get confused with the two-knob Smith Strat IIs that starting coming out in 1983--those are generally thought to be inferior to the I's.
1999 Gibson LP R9
2006 Tele John Cruz Masterbuilt
2007 MIA Strat Sunburst
2008 PRS SC-J Thinline Black Cherry/Bigsby (for sale)
2009 Zerberus Hydra II
2009 Custom Red Strat

Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Quote by danyellenik
Hey EG forum, I'm looking into getting a good strat, to replace my fender MIM one.

I'm thinking I want something like a G & L, not an american fender. I'm thinking I can get a better guitar for the same price because it doesn't say fender on the headstock.

What other GOOD strat copy's are there besides G & L?

I'm looking to spend around as much as an american strat, so around the $1200 dollar mark.

Any suggestions on which guitar would fit?

This
Go with G&L, you can't go wrong it's everything that a fender is and then its improved upon, after Leo Fender sold Fender to CBS he started G&L and improved everything. Trust me, G&L is your best bet here. I say go with the comanche.
UG's Prodigal Son
http://jchluthier.com

I bought a neck from this guy and it's amazing. He'll do anything you want pretty much.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
MIJ tokai and other japanese copies. just be careful it's not a fake, or a low-end model described as high-end.

g&l would probably be worth a look too, yeah.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by magic_pixie
Blade Guitars

I tried these out at my local shop last weekend and I thought they were pretty nice. They were selling for about $1000 CDN, and they've got some nifty little features like a boost switch and the truss rod is supposedly easier to adjust. I'd look into getting one a little more if I wasn't in the middle of a project guitar right now.

That being said, I love my American Standard.

my store has some blade guitars also. THey look very nice, but I never played them.
Quote by Tedward
my store has some blade guitars also. THey look very nice, but I never played them.

A local store here caries blad,e i'll check them out. I also dropped some guy a PM about a 92 G&L strat
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
oh yeah, try some blades. the really high-end ones are japanese, i think, but they have cheaper ones made in korea, and maybe china too. but even those ones were pretty nice, i thought (i haven't tried any of the MIJ ones).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd go for Carvin or G&L. Both are extremely good guitars. I'd probably take G&L just because they're more on spec with Fender than Carvin.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio